PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use for leather, and why?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
06-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Ok, with the next sale on, I need leather "stuff". I have covered my seat with a seatcover to keep it clean, as denim rubs off, and my passenger side is rarely touched. Up until now, I have been a big cheapo - spent so much on the outer, I did not order for the inside.
My leather color is called "cashmere." It is very clean, and up 'till now, I used OTC Meg's leather wipes - wet and greasy, then the container dries out....:(
Why do you guys recmmend for conditioner and cleaner and why?
I don't want to go as cheap as possible - I obviously already went that route - but I don't want to go crazy either.
Pinnacle?
Connolly?
Others?
All input is very much appreciated.Feed back please :grouphug:

When we bought the van, we deliberately had cloth put in it. Save ourselves from peeling off the burning hot seats. No such thing in the vette.

All comments appreciated - I gotta order before the 15% is off!

Gratefully,
Lauren:) :grouphug:

Thejoyofdriving
06-27-2007, 02:10 AM
optimum protectant plus looks good, i have never used it, it it is cheap and it looks good to me, you might want to check it out.

ltoman
06-27-2007, 02:12 AM
optimum protectant plus looks good, i have never used it, it it is cheap and it looks good to me, you might want to check it out.

Thanks....what are you currently using?

klumzypinoy
06-27-2007, 02:19 AM
I like using toilet cleaner and a toilet brush for customers that were bullies to me in 4th grade. I look too different for them to notice me :D. Just kidding!

No experience with leather interiors, but leather couch in the house is a diff story. I recommended my mom to use woolite and water, and I had a sample of Chemical Guy's leather conditioner. She did the work but the couch felt nice :)

ltoman
06-27-2007, 02:29 AM
I like using toilet cleaner and a toilet brush for customers that were bullies to me in 4th grade. I look too different for them to notice me :D. Just kidding!

No experience with leather interiors, but leather couch in the house is a diff story. I recommended my mom to use woolite and water, and I had a sample of Chemical Guy's leather conditioner. She did the work but the couch felt nice :)

Hee hee heee!!
:awesome:

TOGWT
06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Leather Three Step Care :( Cleaning, Conditioning and (UVR) Protection):
a) Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.
Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

c) Conditioning- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products like Leatherique restore the lost moisture and maintain its natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide. Conditioners are for leather which is porous, vinyl is not, do not use a vinyl product as a conditioner on leather as vinyl requires much stronger cleaning agents than leather and above all try to avoid raw silicone oil based products, as the silicone oil will dissolve the leather's natural oils and tend to make the leather sticky, silicone oils also have a very high electrostatic (static) attraction to dust and dirt particle.

c) Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Protection - you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a, ultra violet radiation (UVR) protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant). One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with a UVR protection. After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth to lightly buff surface (See Section 11 Leather Cleaning and Maintenance)

Scheduled Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

HighEndDetail
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
I like to use the Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. I use other stuff for cleaning.
I will be getting the Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Since I have heard it does very well

greg'sgoat
06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I use DP total interior cleaner and a leather brush to scrub the seats. I have red leather and it shows any and all dirt very easily. After I scrub, I wipe up with a MF and procede to condition. I use Wolfgang leather conditioner. I have tried Poorboy's leather stuff (it's ok, I use it for customer cars), Zaino Z-10(blah), Chemical Guys Leather conditioner(not bad), and Pinnacle leather conditioner (pretty good, tie between the Wolfgang).

I like the Wolfgang because it is easy to apply, condtions hard leather back to soft in a few treatments, and smells great. I use a clean Cobra Tire Dressing pad (Cobra Tire Dressing Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/td511.html)) to apply. I like the foam applicaters because they do not absorb the product like MF applicators or Terry applicators. I usually try to condition when it is hot out. I apply to all leather. Wipe lightly with a damp cloth and close the car up. The heat of the sun and the heat in the car helps the seats absorb the rest of the conditioner. Then the next day of a few hours later, I go and wipe the rest up.

agpatel21
06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
I like to use Einszett Leather Care, easy to use...smells good...and leans the seat w/ a natural fnish not shiny or slippery...

Nica
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I too use the Wolfgang products on my vehicle's. I'm very pleased with them, I think TOGWT prity much nailed it. I known the color of your seats becuase my Lexus has the same color (if I'm not mistaken) and the color does not hide any imperfection/dirt.

Well just thought I'd drop my $0.02

LazerRed1
06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner.

Russecu
06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I like the Duragloss line of leather products. The leather cleaner and the leather conditioner. Makes the leather feel somewhat softer and does not have the shine of others lets say it leaves a natural look. Leaves a nice smell of leather also. I've also heard great things about leatherique. I may have to try this sometime.

supercharged
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I really love Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. Wolfgang is another nice one, and is not as thick as Pinnacle. Both are very nice. As of Connolly's Hide care, I only used it once, and don't like it's kerosene smell.

P1et
06-27-2007, 01:39 PM
This might sound crazy, but I use Woolite and water (50:50) to clean my leather and then Duragloss 441 to condition. Works great!!!

Duragloss Leather Conditioner (LC) #221 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-leather-conditioner.html)

Gnarboots11
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Oo, I like the cost of the DG leather conditioner. I think I am going to get some of that. I have had my eye on the Pinnacle one but the DG is much cheaper.