PDA

View Full Version : Are all yellow hand wax pads the same?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrOneEyedBoh
12-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I need to buy a few more yellow hand wax pads again. What I'm wondering is are the the same? There can't be that many manufactures of them. Amazon has them cheap and other online stores have them as well.

spiralout462
12-01-2013, 07:53 PM
I believe Meguiar's makes a yellow Polishing pad that is completely different from the Lake Country cutting pad.

jankerson
12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
NO, they aren't all the same...

Meguiars Soft Buff W8006 Foam Polishing Pad 6.5" (http://www.autogeek.net/mgw8006.html)

Meguiars Soft Buff W8006 Foam Polishing Pad 6.5"

Yellow Polishing Pad 6.5”- This pad has mild cutting action and should be used to apply polishes to newer vehicles finish. It removes minor surface imperfections and restores an attractive luster to your paint. Use with a mild swirl remover or fine polish. You can also use it for wax application, but do not use the same pad for different products. This pad is safe for clear coats.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html)

6.5 inch Hybrid Yellow Light Polishing Pad – The yellow hybrid pad features a very dense foam. Use this pad to remove light imperfections, apply a light polish, cleaner wax, etc. This pad is perfect for soft paint systems where the additional cut of the white polishing pad is not required.

CCS 6.5 inch foam pads, Lake country ccs foam pads, porter cable pads, ccs polishing pads, ccs pads, lake country ccs pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-6inch-pads.html)

CCS Yellow Cutting Foam Pad, 6.5 inches- Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Learn how to use the Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer with CCS Smart Pads by Lake Country. Polish swirl remover car wax polisher wax buffing pad (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html)

Yellow Cutting Foams 6.5 inch- Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

MrOneEyedBoh
12-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I messed up. I need the hand waxing pads

spiralout462
12-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Gotcha. :)

I would guess the little thin foam pads are all pretty similar. I have been leaning towards the thicker applicators from Meguiar's and Lake Country for my personal vehicles.

jankerson

For the most part yeah, as long as they are quality pads.

weekendwarrior
You mean like the microfiber applicator pads that autozone sells? How about you buy a few types and do a review? Cant cost more than $15. I'd love to read your review!

MrOneEyedBoh
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I have the red CCS hand wax pad and I do like it.

spiralout462
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
You mean like the microfiber applicator pads that autozone sells? How about you buy a few types and do a review? Cant cost more than $15. I'd love to read your review!

I think we are discussing foam applicators.

pikiki
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I recently order a dozen of yellow foam pads for $1.82 + free shipping and about to try them out this week once I get a chance. They look pretty similar than other ones I try before and I do have on Megs that I use a lot!!! so I will compare with that one. I will post the results.

MarkD51
12-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Nope, you didn't mess up, I clearly read-understood what you were referring to, "hand" foam wax applicator pads.

On one of my very first orders from AG, I got the PC DA, a bunch of pads, the Wolfgang Twins, WGDGPS 3.0, the backing Plates, the whole smear.

I got some hand applicator pads, both the Wolfgang, and some Pinnacle.

But somehow, there were some other pads included, either some freebies, or a pad that came with something else I bought? I just don't know?

Anyway, with a more recent order about a few weeks ago, where I got the Pinnacle BL Coating, the DP and Pinnacle Paint Preps, WG Uber Compound, I also bought some more (6) Pinnacle Yellow Foam Pads.

While I'm sure they'll work OK, and I apparently have gotten these before, they were smaller, and not of the quality of these larger yellow hand pads that AG once sent me. By comparison, the Pinnacle pads look like cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Again, what pads those were, maybe somebody else, or the AG folks can comment, but to me, they were a superior, and a slightly larger yellow pad to the pinnacle ones.
Mark

pickles
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
The blue Zymol ones are the best IMO

conquistador
12-01-2013, 09:23 PM
You can find the slightly larger yellow pads you speak of at Pepboys

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

MarkD51
12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
You can find the slightly larger yellow pads you speak of at Pepboys

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

We have no pep boys here, and carquest oreillys, autozone, and wally world which we do have, but I've never seen a single foam applicator pad in ten years, and suspect I never will.

Alamogordo NM, has to be the most "car detail unfriendly" place within the USA.
The masses here in this Podunk one horse town are just too lazy to care about such things.
Mark

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 09:43 PM
The ones I like and use are the Buff n Shine red ones. They are sold at Chemical Guy's as well under their name. They are extremely durable. I've soaked them in APC, IPA, and mineral spirits. They clean up good as new and the foam does not deteriorate. Solvents do not damage the foam. Everyone wants AG to carry the newest stuff, but really most of us would benefit if they carried Buff n Shine. The pads and applicators are far superior to LC IMO.