PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine vrs Menz SF4500

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Did some playing around on my hood to remove some very fine marring I noticed in a location. Of course, this led to polishing the whole hood, which led to comparing 2 polishes using the same variables (same pads: Rupes White / same machine: Rupes 15). I took no pictures of before or the process, as the marring was too fine to really capture.

But, some general observations is that the Rupes Ultra Fine Diamond polish just worked better than the Menz with this set up. The SF4500 buffs fine and wipes off easy - but accomplished nothing. It didn't remove even the finest of marring I was going after. The Rupe's polish finished perfect, and actually took care of all the marring. I've noticed this before with SF4500 - it leaves the paint looking great, but will not remove the slightest of defects. At least that is the case on my cars.

I was really surprised that the Rupes Ultra Fine cut so well and actually does "work". It removed (not improved) the defects I was going after, and left a perfect finish. It's a little harder to wipe off than the Menz, but it's not bad.

I did pull it out in the sun and take some after pictures of the hood:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/u3a7yzeg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/zu5abyse.jpg

Rsurfer
12-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Sounds like your light marring was too much for SF4500. SF4000 might have been a better choice. You should give Sonax Perfect Finish a try. On a scale of 1-6, PF cut is a 4 and the finish is a six. Great for well kept cars. Of course you might have the Perfect Polish in Rupes Ultra Fine.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Did you prime the face of the pad with Rupes Ultra Fine?

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds like your light marring was too much for SF4500. SF4000 might have been a better choice. You should give Sonax Perfect Finish a try. On a scale of 1-6, PF cut is a 4 and the finish is a six. Great for well kept cars. Of course you might have the Perfect Polish in Rupes Ultra Fine.

Yeah, I thought of that. My goal when polishing my car is to use the finest least aggressive polish possible, that will still actually remove some light defects. Usually I find that's not possible. Maybe the BMW paint is hard? That is why I was shocked when I saw the Rupes Ultrafine work so well.

Just02896
12-01-2013, 02:51 PM
First thought would be that Rupes Ultra Fine would be better compared to Menz PF2500 or FF3000. Was the gloss a little deeper with the Menz over the rupes?

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Did you prime the face of the pad with Rupes Ultra Fine?

No. 3 dots of polish and one spray of WG Pad Spray. The Rupes polish looked better than anything I've seen. The real surprise of this wasn't how good it looked, but the cut it ended up having for a finishing polish. Other fine finishing polishes I've tried won't remove squat on BMW paint as far defects go IME. I did run the Rupes at speed 6 and use decent downward pressure. Then I used speed 4 with little or no pressure for a few light passes.

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 03:14 PM
First thought would be that Rupes Ultra Fine would be better compared to Menz PF2500 or FF3000. Was the gloss a little deeper with the Menz over the rupes?

No. The gloss with the Rupes was as good as I've seen.

SR99
12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
No. 3 dots of polish and one spray of WG Pad Spray. The Rupes polish looked better than anything I've seen. The real surprise of this wasn't how good it looked, but the cut it ended up having for a finishing polish. Other fine finishing polishes I've tried won't remove squat on BMW paint as far defects go IME. I did run the Rupes at speed 6 and use decent downward pressure. Then I used speed 4 with little or no pressure for a few light passes.

Did you not prime the Rupes pad because of personal choice or is that the way Rupes recommends?

If the latter, is this due to the Rupes pad or due to their liquids (in other words, if you use a different non-Rupes liquid do you prime the Rupes pad?)

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Did you not prime the Rupes pad because of personal choice or is that the way Rupes recommends?

If the latter, is this due to the Rupes pad or due to their liquids (in other words, if you use a different non-Rupes liquid do you prime the Rupes pad?)

I didn't prime the pads because Rupes doesn't do it in their videos. I think that Marco guy knows what's up. I'm headed to Autopia to order more Rupes polishes and pads.

Rsurfer
12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I didn't prime the pads because Rupes doesn't do it in their videos. I think that Marco guy knows what's up. I'm headed to Autopia to order more Rupes polishes and pads.

Looks like you found the right combo. I'm still not giving up on 4500 for finishing. Did you try a different pad (B&S) with the 4500?

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Looks like you found the right combo. I'm still not giving up on 4500 for finishing. Did you try a different pad (B&S) with the 4500?

I've used it with varying combos/pads/machines in the past. It a good gloss polish, but it just has zero cut to it for me. Rupes: I'm a believer.

Now I'll halve all the Rupes polishes/pads except the most aggressive combo.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/egyte9y8.jpg

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
One I just took in the garage:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/a6u8a2ys.jpg

Just02896
12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Um, is that a pink Iphone case? LOL :-)

swanicyouth
12-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Um, is that a pink Iphone case? LOL :-)

No. You think I'm some kind of lady or something???
It's red (not like that's much better):

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/yvu8yhav.jpg

FLAVIOBR
01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Oh very good indeed!

I Rupes Diamond and pads, and I can say that Rupes is a wonderful system.

Do more testing