PDA

View Full Version : Which device do you recommend?

xsst4
12-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Hello,
I was lucky enough to get a steal of a deal on amazon during black friday for a couple devices. Let me start by talking about what I need. I have a couple classic cars that I want to do some cutting and buffing on. They've been sitting under car covers in a garage for over 25 years. Additionally I'm a firefighter so we routinely wax and polish our engines as well as clean up the diamond plate on the engines. So I'm looking for a relatively easy device that I can use. I'm a beginner. I've had a meguiars DA at one of the stations I worked at but that's it.
That was the initial rotary buffer that I bought but then the more I talked to people the more I heard that there's a high likelihood of damaging equipment. I believe I got it for like 130 after tax and shipping

I also bought the griots
for around the same price and I know this is a "safer" device. What're your thoughts? I'm kind of leaning towards the Griots so I don't screw up the paint on a fire engine. I have an old old school rotary buffer/sander from like the 70's that I figured I'd maybe keep if I needed it for any rotary jobs.

BillyJack
12-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I still keep a rotary around for that occasional area that need serious correction. I've rotary-buffed many a car since the 70's, so I have a bit of knowledge and experience, but with today's orbital-friendly compounds it rarely comes out. Today's orbital machines are so easy to learn, so versatile and so safe, I'd only buy a new rotary if I was a production detailer, where speed is more important than quality.

Bill

Coopers ST
12-01-2013, 01:09 PM
This place has a better deal on the GG kit, and you get free shipping.

xsst4
12-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks the griots is better than $130? Also my cars that I will be detailing will be like a 1960 single stage red thunderbird.

Coopers ST
12-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks the griots is better than $130? Also my cars that I will be detailing will be like a 1960 single stage red thunderbird.

Depends on what kit you want, and they will match any price you find.

Alby
12-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I am a newbie myself and I purchased a Griots 6" and I will say it is easy to use. I took it slow at first and by the time I was finished with the hood I was moving along quite well. I would recommend it. Any questions let me know.

Alby

dcjredline
12-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I too keep my rotary around incase I come across something my GG wont get out. AND I use it to DRY my pads after cleaning!!!

GenesisCoupe
12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
I've worked with the GG and i think it's better than the PC7424. I believe it is also cheaper than your $130 budget. I just switched from PC to Flex myself.