PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opti-Seal

DRamsey
12-01-2013, 07:52 AM
I've been using some Optimum products lately and I bought some Opti-Seal, without a real plan on what I was going to use it on. My son is home for the Thanksgiving holiday; he is driving my 2008 Toyota Avalon that's got 160K miles on it. You can only imagine the unintentional neglect a college junior can impart on a vehicle. I couldn't stand it, so despite cooler temperatures, I started cleaning the interior, washed the exterior and decided it needed some protection. The paint is in good condition with very few, if any swirl marks. I pulled out the Optimum Opti-Seal, and read the instructions. My biggest concern was even though it had warmed up to 47 degrees, the label says to apply at temperatures between 55 and 90 degrees, so I knew I was taking a chance. I applied it in direct sunlight, so the temperature didn't seem to have a negative impact. I used a very, very small amount and simply misted an applicator pad and drew long lines in the direction of the wind flow. The product dried quickly with the appearance of evaporating. Application was extremely easy, to the point of being ridiculous. I am surprised and pleased by the results. Opti-seal leaves a very slick, but plasticy looking finish. It almost says, "force field."
I don't know how long to expect it to last, or how it wears, but like I said, the vehicle needed something to protect it from the elements.

VP Mark
12-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Opti seal is an excellent product and my go to for cold weather. If the vehicle was properly decontaminated you should see an easy 2-6 months protection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

KillaCam
12-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I've been wanting to try opti seal. I also want to try ultima paint guard plus but can't decide which one to get.

BillyJack
12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I just used Opti-Seal for the first time back in late August on one of the family DD's, an orange Honda Fit. After 3 months I'm very pleased. The look is more of a "hard shine", not my preference on my own cars, but performance has been great. It tends to be more self-cleaning than other waxes and sealants I've used, a big benefit when you're trying to maintain a driveway full of vehicles. If weather permits in the next month or so, I'm going to get it in the garage again and do a recoat, which should last all winter. For the original app, I did a light polish with Optimum Finish Polish, after a claying. If it doesn't need clay again, this time will likely be a cleaning with DG 501/601, then another coat of OS.

Bill