PDA

View Full Version : Where to start...

Pages : [1] 2

dantm
11-30-2013, 10:24 PM
So I found this forum after a number of people were linking their amazing car detailing results and crediting the experience gathered here for these results.

I have a bunch of cars each needing some level of detailing. I have a local guy who gave me a proposal to do some paint correction on each car for about $1k each. Needless to say this is a little steep given that I have a few of them to do so I'd like to learn to do as much as possible myslef.

So what do I need to read to start? Any books that are available on this subject of detailing?

My ultimate goal is not show car level detailing but I'd like to do a good job and achieve a high level of efficiency in these projects if it makes sense...

dcjredline
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't have the links for you but if you use the search you will find a lot of good info. Also there are ALOT of great people here that can help you and guide you.
Where are you located? You may even be able to shadow someone here.

dantm
11-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't have the links for you but if you use the search you will find a lot of good info. Also there are ALOT of great people here that can help you and guide you.
Where are you located? You may even be able to shadow someone here.

Thank you -- I am in Boston MA.

davidg
12-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Youtube junkman.

He was a huge help to me when I started.

hamlyn
12-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Mike Phillips has a couple of books out. you will find the books and many tutorials here: http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

This is my favorite full video detailing a car.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/N9r5XS0xriI?rel=0

Look for ammynyc on YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

bsmith0404
12-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Renny Doyle and Mike Phillips both have some good books and Mike has a lot of videos available her on show car garage as well as YouTube videos from appearances on My Classic Car and Two Guys Garage. Junkman2000 has an entire YouTube site full of his videos. That is enough to make your head spin for a while, you'll understand once you start reading/watching and combine your new knowledge with the products available and the information in these forums.

As for the guy that quoted you $1K each, does he know you are not looking for show car finishes?

dantm
12-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks all -- will look and try to learn as much as possible before posting specific questions.

Regarding the $1K/car detailing that I was quoted -- I think it was anywhere between 1 and 2 stage paint correction and some finishing treatment..general prices were:

(1) multi-step polishing (I was told excellent results but not 99%+, maybe 90% on the car's paint) ~$700-800

(2) 22PLE treatment or equivalent ~$300

(3) optional - wheel detailing ~$200

(4) engine bay detail ~$50 (I actually found this to be very cheap but you have to add it to one of the other things above)

weekendwarrior
12-01-2013, 07:27 AM
800 bucks and you get dirty wheels back and no LSP? Wow...look elsewhere for another estimate or learn yourself. Have a practice car ?

dantm
12-01-2013, 08:11 AM
800 bucks and you get dirty wheels back and no LSP? Wow...look elsewhere for another estimate or learn yourself. Have a practice car ?

Yes I can use the car which is at the bottom of my list for practicing as long as I don't completely destroy it :-).

Also -- what is the 'shadow' thing that was brought up earlier, is it something where I can look over the shoulder of an experienced detailer from this site who lives in my area?

Vegas Transplant
12-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Check this guy out for expert detailing and proven results.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/seajay-s.html

bsmith0404
12-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks all -- will look and try to learn as much as possible before posting specific questions.

Regarding the $1K/car detailing that I was quoted -- I think it was anywhere between 1 and 2 stage paint correction and some finishing treatment..general prices were:

(1) multi-step polishing (I was told excellent results but not 99%+, maybe 90% on the car's paint) ~$700-800

(2) 22PLE treatment or equivalent ~$300

(3) optional - wheel detailing ~$200

(4) engine bay detail ~$50 (I actually found this to be very cheap but you have to add it to one of the other things above)

I'd like to know what they are doing to the wheels for $200! What is his hourly rate? I'm guessing $100. I've detailed a lot of wheels and have yet to spend more than 2 hours, especially since you are not looking for show car results.

Based on what you say you are looking for, get a DA and have some fun (DA's are very safe, you won't mess up the finish). There are a bunch of kits out there that will give you good results, they never come with enough pads so buy more of those. Start with an All In One and see if it gives you what you're looking for. If you want a better finish, go to a 2 step. Test spots are a great way to see what you will get. Decide if you want to use a carnauba and wax every 2-3 months or go with a sealant every 6 months or so. Close the garage door, turn on the radio, get your favorite beverage, relax and enjoy!

Hitman21
12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I am about 50 miles south of Boston. I can help you out if you want to learn... Just PM me

Ian

dantm
12-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys -- some questions, I've done some reading and a few things are becoming more clear. These are random thoughts:

(1) I have a car which was previously repainted and now has relatively dull paint. I don't know what type of paint process was used (it was painted about 10-15 years ago).

Do I need to get a paint thickness gauge and identify the paint process (and how?) before I choose what to use for detailing?

(2) The paint is not damaged but it does look quite oxidized. I have washed the car previously and clayed it with a Meguiar's bar, after which I waxed it with a Meguiar's wax by hand. Within a few weeks (probably no more than 2 months) it shows oxidized and dull again.

The car has been stored in a garage since the repaint so it's not sun fading (well I assume it's some form of sun damage but hopefully it's not one of these things beyond recovery).

So the question I have is basically how do I baseline the car and tell exactly what it needs?

(3) When detailers/pros talk about single, double, triple stage paint correction do they mean the same thing? And if yes where is the official definition of what each of these things (single, double, triple) mean?

dcjredline
12-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Single stage paint - Just a color coat
Single step correction - One step product that cleans/polishes/protects the paint

Two stage paint - Color and then clear coat
Two step correction - USUALLY means compound and a polish of paint two types of products (could also mean a polish & wax)

Three stage paint - Never heard of
Three step correction - one product to compound paint (correct), another to polish (fine tune correction), and a third to protect the paint (wax or maybe glaze)

dcjredline
12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I am about 50 miles south of Boston. I can help you out if you want to learn... Just PM me

Ian

See, I told ya there may be someone here close that is willing to help ya, THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME SITE!