PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat Questions

Mortis
11-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Hey guys ! Ill be applying Opti Coat to my daily driver in a week or so and I had a few questions since Im not a pro detailer and Opti coat is a different product then what Im used to. Ive read most of the main OC threads.

The car is almost 3 years old now and has its fair share of minor scratches, paint chips etc that Ive recently touched up to the best of my ability. I dont mind if they show a bit.
Im getting the paint corrected at the 3M professional detailing place that do a good job of getting rid of defects and then Ill be applying OC by myself in my garage at home.
I have a week total for the whole thing including curing.

1] The car is going to get a little dust/dirt on it on the way back, will a wipedown with QD ONR followed by an isopropyl alcohol (what % ?) be enough before starting to apply OC ?

2] Applicator pads : Ive always found that the standard yellow foam pads suck up too much product and obviously I want to avoid that. After going through the threads I saw that people were using makeup sponges so I went out and picked up a few.
I immediately chucked the latex/rubbery type ones as they didnt have enough glide.
Im left with normal small sponge pads and sponge pads covered in a layer of very short velvety kind of material. Which would be better the regular sponge or the velvety sponge since some people are using microfibre applicators ?

3] A quick swipe of a microfiber is recommended after each section is done. Can I use a cheap glass cleaning micro for this since Ill have to chuck it after use ?

4] I have a couple of small pea sized dents on the roof that I have touched up can I put on a bigger glob of OC there to slightly even it out and protect that area ?

5] Is it safe to apply on glass such as mirrors and windows ?

6] Dust WILL settle on the car even in the garage. Is the ok or should I clean the dust off often ? How soon and how do I clean the dust ?

7] Im planning on doing a 2nd layer in case I miss a few spots and to give better protection since the paint is quite soft.
Should I do the 2nd coat after 24 or 48 hrs ?
How do I clean dust off after the 1st coat before doing the 2nd ? ONR + isopropyl again or just ONR ?
Planning on doing one coat circular and the other up-down/side to side. All good ?

8] The car WILL get crapped on the day its out of the garage ! I can only keep her stabled for a week total so is 6 days after the first coat and 4 after the 2nd coat alright for bird bomb exposure ? Best way to deal with a bird bomb for the first couple of weeks ?

I think thats most of the questions I had but Ill add any more that I can think of later. I appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me. Thanks !!

hernandez.art13
11-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll let others chime in on your other questions. As far as question 5 goes. OC is not recommended on glass. I didn't know this and applied some on my car's glass.

I later read the label and read that it isn't recommended :doh: lol

I called Optimum and I spoke with the Doc. (Sorry I can't remember how to spell his name) well I told him that I applied OC on my windshield.

He then said that when it rains, overtime the view might get distorted. I then told him that I live in Los Angeles and it rarely rains here. He then said it won't permanently bond to glass and will eventually start to deteriorate. He also said that I could polish it off. So I might do that. I just want to see it bead (windshield) on my car's first wash :D

aim4squirrels
11-30-2013, 08:40 PM
I believe I read trying to apply 2 coats is a waste of product.

I'm relatively certain you can't fill dents with it, it's not Bondo. If the instructions tell you to level the high spots, I don't know why you'd intentionally try to create a thick spot.

If you don't trust the towel on the paint, don't try to drag it across the opti coat on the paint.

You can't stop dust. If the opti coat has flashed, it should release the dust. Just don't go picking at it, or it'll look 10 times worse.

I'd personally use the included applicator, and follow the manufacturer's directions on application to glass.

VP Mark
11-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Pro installer here.

Dont do the glass. That is why they came out with Opti Glass.

Dont do two layers. After a day or more just rinse and sheet the vehicle. If you see any spots you missed apply after you dry.

IPA is fine to wipe prior to application as long as you have stripped all LSP before hand.

The provided applicator works but I prefer opti bond applicators or LC coating applicators.

Just use a QD to remove bird droppings.

There is no need to toss the applicator and MF you use. Just thoroughly rinse them with water immediately after use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Mortis
12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Ill avoid using it on the glass. How long should I keep the car stabled to make sure its safe to weather the elements and the crows of doom ?
My main concern really is the dust sticking to the OC while its a bit tacky

dpk20x
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Ill avoid using it on the glass. How long should I keep the car stabled to make sure its safe to weather the elements and the crows of doom ?
My main concern really is the dust sticking to the OC while its a bit tacky

I wouldn't worry to much about the dust. I opti coated my roof this fall. I don't have a garage so I did everything outside. I didn't have issues with dust or anything getting stuck to the coating.

Not sure how many other people do this but instead of wiping the high spots down with a towel I hit them with a leaf blower. This leveled off all my high spots and I believe it helps the opti coat to harden a little bit faster.

Mortis
12-02-2013, 12:52 PM
It flashes and cures slower in lower humidity right ?

Oh and whenever I refresh this page and try to post it says my token has expired and I need to reload the page to post but that doesnt work and I need to log out/in again to post ?