PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get client

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey Ag, Now that its cold, I have been keeping away from car work. However, a couple of months ago, I did 4 hours of work on my friends jeep. I said dont pay me and he paid 100. I took it but still didnt exactly want the money.
Later, a kid I know saw the jeep and wanted his tahoe done. He asked how much, I said I would have to see how bad it is, but I said around 200 to start since its a big vehicle. He says thats alot of money, I look at him thinking, thats how I make money. I am trying to get to work on his car but I dont exactly know how to get him to accept

Thoughts

TL/DR- Friend gets car detailed by me, other person sees, wants his truck done, thinks its too much

HateSwirls
11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
IMO those type of car owners just won't pay, sure they want you to give them the best but for less money.
They're not educated on what we do, all they think of is a wash and wax.

My customers, my new customers that come to me already knows about how much I charge, I have no $200.00 packages , I only do full two step corrections and that they know too.

If knows of your work and still thinks $200.00 is too much than I say let it go, you'll never please someone like this.

Wish you luck

VP Mark
11-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Depends on what you consider a detail. That's why there are different packages for different needs. Maybe he just wants a wash, wax, and vacuum. If so $200 might be too much. Describe your process then discuss his wants and go from there. Dont bend over backwards for the guy but Dont lose business because of poor communication.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

hernandez.art13
11-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I really like how this is setup. Just setup your hourly rate as you see fit...

Corey@OptimalDetailing
11-30-2013, 04:29 PM
I had a possible client ask me to price his car. Complete 2 step + WGDGPS. I looked at it, shot him my price and his eyes lit up like a light bulb, shocked at what I was going to charge him. He declined and I told him that was okay and if he wanted to consider it in the future to call me. Mind you, I was cutting him one heck of a deal because it's a fully restored 1972 Nova BB car that had been recently Jet Black. At least 10-12 hrs worth a work and he thought my quote was high. I let it go because I know the guy from my work and he expects perfection. Just wasn't worth it to me to quote a lower price and his expectations stay the same.

jankerson
11-30-2013, 04:47 PM
IMO those type of car owners just won't pay, sure they want you to give them the best but for less money.
They're not educated on what we do, all they think of is a wash and wax.

My customers, my new customers that come to me already knows about how much I charge, I have no $200.00 packages , I only do full two step corrections and that they know too.

If knows of your work and still thinks $200.00 is too much than I say let it go, you'll never please someone like this.

Wish you luck

I have a $200 AIO Package, but that doesn't include the interior, that's extra.

But yeah some people just won't spend the money and there are a lot of them out there.

HateSwirls
11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Oh how I hate detailing the interior:(
I'm good at it mind you but still hate it. Lol
As I said I only offer a full correction inside and out, maybe I need to do like you just shoot them a price for the exterior. Lol
$200.00 for an AIO is pretty good, worth just not to detail anything else:)

I have a $200 AIO Package, but that doesn't include the interior, that's extra.

But yeah some people just won't spend the money and there are a lot of them out there.

jankerson
11-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh how I hate detailing the interior:(
I'm good at it mind you but still hate it. Lol
As I said I only offer a full correction inside and out, maybe I need to do like you just shoot them a price for the exterior. Lol
$200.00 for an AIO is pretty good, worth just not to detail anything else:)

Yeah, and I can take my time at it and usually get done in under 4 hours.

AIO's are quick. :D

I do shoot the cars with a spray wax to top off the AIO unless I use M20 that doesn't need it.

Something to think about anyway.

I also hate doing interiors, more than a quick wipe down and vacuum anyway.

cardaddy
11-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I agree Bill that you need to ask him what exactly he's wanting, and perhaps what he THINKS you are setup to do. :dunno:

I have a local business owner, owns a jewelry store and a gun store. Actually just opened a new gun store last week that is state of the art, 20 lane indoor range, conference rooms, video screens, you name it. He asks me to leave him some cards back in the summer, which I did.

Now he has full sized pickups, big honking BLACK GMC Denali's both 2500 and 3500 series and keeps them clean, just drive through tunnel of doom clean.

One day I was in there and he was asking me how much I charge, (I happened to have a services menu with me) and after a quick glance he looks up and says "You are WAY too high!"
Are you KIDDING ME?!?! :argue:

I asked him when the last time I told him his guns were too high? Considering I buy them by the way!

When (I asked) was the last time your truck was buffed, or waxed for that matter? Simply put, I don't do 'washing', my minimum exterior package is 5~6 hours on a truck your size.

Then closed it with "For what I do, you'll not find ANYONE in this town that does what I'm doing. And... you'll not find anyone ANY WHERE that will even match my prices, much less beat them. You want cheap, I am NOT your man, but then again you're driving a $65,000 truck, it's your call."

jankerson
11-30-2013, 06:59 PM
I agree Bill that you need to ask him what exactly he's wanting, and perhaps what he THINKS you are setup to do. :dunno:

I have a local business owner, owns a jewelry store and a gun store. Actually just opened a new gun store last week that is state of the art, 20 lane indoor range, conference rooms, video screens, you name it. He asks me to leave him some cards back in the summer, which I did.

Now he has full sized pickups, big honking BLACK GMC Denali's both 2500 and 3500 series and keeps them clean, just drive through tunnel of doom clean.

One day I was in there and he was asking me how much I charge, (I happened to have a services menu with me) and after a quick glance he looks up and says "You are WAY too high!"
Are you KIDDING ME?!?! :argue:

I asked him when the last time I told him his guns were too high? Considering I buy them by the way!

When (I asked) was the last time your truck was buffed, or waxed for that matter? Simply put, I don't do 'washing', my minimum exterior package is 5~6 hours on a truck your size.

Then closed it with "For what I do, you'll not find ANYONE in this town that does what I'm doing. And... you'll not find anyone ANY WHERE that will even match my prices, much less beat them. You want cheap, I am NOT your man, but then again you're driving a $65,000 truck, it's your call."

:iagree:

One has to pay for quality. :xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
11-30-2013, 07:02 PM
The 06 2500 GMC I'm working on is from a guy who on owns a business selling tires.
He called me and said I want your best you offer, I shot him a price of $575.00, he jumped on it, he didn't ask what all I do but I explained it,checsaid that fair, after that he asked if I could do his e550 next weekend, I said sure.
You see he knows I'm not doing just a wash, he understands all what goes into a full correction inside and out.

I think he had it done before and knows how lom it takes and that he wasn't happy with the last guy who worked on his car or the guy isn't in business anymore.

jankerson
11-30-2013, 07:09 PM
The 06 2500 GMC I'm working on is from a guy who on owns a business selling tires.
He called me and said I want your best you offer, I shot him a price of $575.00, he jumped on it, he didn't ask what all I do but I explained it,checsaid that fair, after that he asked if I could do his e550 next weekend, I said sure.
You see he knows I'm not doing just a wash, he understands all what goes into a full correction inside and out.

I think he had it done before and knows how lom it takes and that he wasn't happy with the last guy who worked on his car or the guy isn't in business anymore.

I love those types of people. :xyxthumbs:

So how is the WG Compound doing?

Just wondering as I have some coming to try it out. :buffing:

Waiting on that and more 5.5" Orange pads and some other stuff...

Bill1234
11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Basically, I would do rims and tires,wash, clay and decontamination,correct and wax, I wouldnt add on unless the interior is bad

goldendodo19
11-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Basically, I would do rims and tires,wash, clay and decontamination,correct and wax, I wouldnt add on unless the interior is bad

So basically an exterior only detail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Love's Auto
12-01-2013, 03:04 AM
Interior is where the money is...