PDA

View Full Version : Tried and true foam pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
So I decided to go back to the basics and use my "old school" LC 5.5" x 7/8" flat pads. I have yellow(most recent foam), orange, white and black. These are the best pads. I like them even more so than Rupes pads which I've been using recently. Good ol' LC flat pads !!! :dblthumb2:

The Critic
11-30-2013, 02:05 AM
The Buff & Shine green ones are killer good for polishing as well.

I also tried a 4" LC HT Cyan pad last night. My rear bumper was recently repainted and the body shop left a ton of holograms and wool pad swirls.

The HT Cyan pad and Sonax Perfect Finish had the finish PERFECT after only 4 passes. I was shocked by how quickly the polish broke down and how well it finished out -- so I think this pad is also a keeper.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-30-2013, 07:05 AM
The Buff & Shine green ones are killer good for polishing as well.

I also tried a 4" LC HT Cyan pad last night. My rear bumper was recently repainted and the body shop left a ton of holograms and wool pad swirls.

The HT Cyan pad and Sonax Perfect Finish had the finish PERFECT after only 4 passes. I was shocked by how quickly the polish broke down and how well it finished out -- so I think this pad is also a keeper.
SPF has very durable fillers. I don't use that polish anymore.

HateSwirls
11-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Pretty hard to find a better foam pad than the LC 5.5 inch pads.
I'll never go back to my 6.5 inch pads.

Jomax
11-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Pretty hard to find a better foam pad than the LC 5.5 inch pads.
I'll never go back to my 6.5 inch pads.

Even if you have a rupes 21?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AG Online

Mike Moore
11-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Even if you have a rupes 21?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AG Online

I use a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and Megs 5" microfiber discs and LC 5.5" flat pads

parttimer
11-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I like the ccs pads, I've been trying the hydro tech pads which I like on both my rupes and flex. I've only used the optimum and meg mf pads on my rupes and gg I like megs better. I have buff n shine for my flex but I've not tried them yet.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

CWallace
11-30-2013, 10:57 AM
SPF has very durable fillers. I don't use that polish anymore.

Mark, do you have personal experience with these "fillers" or link to a article or video about it? Of course the sonax people are denying these claims about any fillers in PF

The Critic
11-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Mark, do you have personal experience with these "fillers" or link to a article or video about it? Of course the sonax people are denying these claims about any fillers in PF

My understanding is that someone did a test and claimed that they saw a noticeable difference in the finish after doing a wipedown with oven cleaner.

SonaxUSA is stating that their product contains no silicones or fillers, and any residue can be removed using isopropyl alcohol.

I know of one very reputable detailer who has used Sonax PF for the last two years and has opticoated many cars without issues. All he has done is perform a wipedown with IPA.

FUNX650
11-30-2013, 12:30 PM
My understanding is that someone did a test and claimed that they saw
a noticeable difference in the finish after doing a wipedown with oven cleaner.<<<:eek:
I bet there was a noticeable difference in the finish...
Even if the oven cleaner contained calcium carbonate, instead of sodium hydroxide!!!

SonaxUSA is stating that their product contains no silicones or fillers,
and any residue can be removed using isopropyl alcohol.

I don't see any alleged "fillers" listed on Sonax Perfect Finish's MSDS:

SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients
3.2 Mixtures
Description: Emulsion with abrasives and additives

Dangerous components..............................CAS#...... ....&#37;
-Hydrocarbons, C15-C20, n-alkanes,
isoalkanes, cyclics, < 0.03% aromatics....934-956-3.......5-10

-Hydrocarbons, C13-C16, n-alkanes,
isoalkanes, cyclics, < 0.03% aromatics....934-954-2.......5-10

-Hydrocarbons, C12-C15, n-alkanes,
isoalkanes, cyclics, < 2% aromatics........920-107-4.......5-10

:)

Bob

The Critic
11-30-2013, 07:42 PM
I agree, you make a good point. The ingredients of oven cleaner were probably dulling the finish.

I used Perfect Finish on two different cars between Thurs and today. On both cars, it breaks down very quickly and delivered more cut and better finishing than M205. I think the only finishing polishing that has more cut, is Hyper Polish.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I put my faith in a very, very well known paint polishing expert. If he says it has durable fillers, it has durable fillers. Do they interfere with coatings? Maybe not.

The Critic
11-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I put my faith in a very, very well known paint polishing expert. If he says it has durable fillers, it has durable fillers. Do they interfere with coatings? Maybe not.

Your "expert" also works for a detailing products company that is known to use questionable marketing tactics. Can his test be trusted to be completely unbiased? :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
11-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Your "expert" also works for a detailing products company that is known to use questionable marketing tactics. Can his test be trusted to be completely unbiased? :xyxthumbs:
He works for himself. Anyhow, we should stop here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

richy
12-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Mark, I spoke with Eric at Autoality about this. This product was designed for use with a rotary polisher at 1200 rpm. That speed burns off the oils in it. They did not intend for it to come over here and be used how it is. The good news is that there's going to be a DA version with less oils that wont' need the high speed.