PDA

View Full Version : Using Finishing polish

2007M6
11-29-2013, 08:17 PM
I've had good results with compound polishes in removing scratches, etc. Does anyone ever skip the follow up (finishing polish) and goto the seal and wax after. I don't mind going over the car 5 or 7 times. But like Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon 4 "I'm getting too old for this Sh*****t."

spiralout462
11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
"Least aggressive first" is how anyone should operate. On my Toyota's I rarely have to use a compound to remove defects. To answer your question: There are many variables to consider.......paint hardness, expectations, technique and paint color can all affect how well a compound "finishes". A one step is the goal of many a detailer.

TundraPower
11-29-2013, 10:51 PM
No reason to go over any surface 5-7 times anymore. State of the art wet sanders and sanding papers have pretty much made compounding obsolete.

2007M6
11-30-2013, 04:03 AM
No reason to go over any surface 5-7 times anymore. State of the art wet sanders and sanding papers have pretty much made compounding obsolete.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

2007M6
11-30-2013, 05:22 AM

Well, if you think about it.

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay
4. polish
5. finishing polish
6. seal
7. wax

If no contaminants or scratches, then its still a minimum of 3 passes. after a good wax, then just wash and dry. But when the sand paper feeling comes back or scratches, then you're back up again :xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
11-30-2013, 08:52 AM
If it looks good to you than sure, skip the second step.
Using a less aggressive pad will give you a better chance in skipping the polishing.
Also, on your last pass lift up on the pad, it will finish down a little better.
When I use m105 I always have to follow with the m205, no way around it.

Mike Moore
11-30-2013, 09:14 AM
If I could only have two polishes they would be Megs M101 and Carpro Reflect.

This is a killer two step.

Now that said...there are many paint variables (as stated above) to be considered.

silverfox
11-30-2013, 09:20 AM
The new Meg's D302 could be the product I've been waiting for as it's designed with using MF pads in mind which I prefer over foam. The challenge has always been finishing down with MF pads and this may change all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mike Moore
11-30-2013, 09:51 AM
The new Meg's D302 could be the product I've been waiting for as it's designed with using MF pads in mind which I prefer over foam. The challenge has always been finishing down with MF pads and this may change all that.

I may be mistaken but I believe that D302 is the same cut and finish as D301 without the wax/sealant in the product.

This allows for a two step microfiber disc finish and the ability for you to apply whatever LSP/wax/sealant you prefer.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe that D302 is the same cut and finish as D301 without the wax/sealant in the product.

I hope not!!!!!!

Mike Moore
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Here's what I found...

...They had two things in mind when they formulated this product: 1. People who are going to go with a different last step product, other than D301 DA Micro Fiber Finishing Wax. 2. A cleaner for the DA Micro Fiber System if people have soft/sensitive paint and they need something that’s a bit less aggressive than D300 DA Micro Fiber Correction Compound.

Cut is well below that of M205. We don't have any plans at the moment to package all liquids and pads into a single kit, no.

D300 is the correction compound, D301 the finishing wax.
D302 is a finishing polish designed specifically to remove any haze that might occur in the correction step with D300.

...On more delicate paint where hazing occurs with D300 we see mixed results with just D301 as a finish. Many people have instead moved to M205 on foam to refine the finish before applying their favorite wax or synthetic sealant. By offering D302 we can offer the user the opportunity to stay fully within the microfiber system to do everything if they so desire. But the intent of D302 is to remove DA haze with an intermediate step prior to waxing. So applying D301 after D302 shouldn't be a problem, unless the paint is so very sensitive that it doesn't like microfiber for application of the wax. In that case, it is recommended to move to a different wax/sealant applied via foam finishing pad.

Now, we know you guys like to experiment, so even though D302 was designed as a microfiber driven finishing polish we know someone is going to try it on a foam finishing pad. Go for it. We have, and it's pretty terrific.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-30-2013, 03:40 PM
I highly, highly doubt D302 is the same formulation as D301(minus the wax). There's been numerous batches and a lot of testing with D302. I think it's a completely different polish. Meg's never mentioned soft paint and D301 in the same sentence. With D302, they do.

Mike Moore
12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to say "the same formulation as D301 (minus the wax)"...
I meant to say "I believe that D302 is the same cut and finish as D301"...
I could be way off base here. I personally have not tried D302 yet.

Have you tried D301 with a Megs mf finishing disc?

Have you tried D302 with a Megs mf finishing disc?

It makes a LOT of sense to introduce a "Finishing Wax free" mf finishing polish.
Lots of folks (including me) prefer different LSP products rather than using D301.
So for us that meant we had to find a finishing product outside the Megs mf line.
D301 was the designed two-step but we we looked for a wax free finishing polish.

If I remember correctly the D300/D301 combo was developed for production shops.
It was the 1-2 punch! 1) D300 for correction and 2) D301 for a final finish and wax.
Megs did BIG research and development of the mf discs and mf products together.
D301 was designed specifically for the mf finishing disc second step after D300

D301 DA Microfiber Finishing Wax

One-pass fast, dust-free wipe off
Rich blend of polymers, silicones & carnauba for high gloss protection
Specially formulated to optimize surface after applying DA Microfiber Correction Compound

D302 DA Microfiber Polish

Removes DA haze from D300 step on delicate clears
Solution for haze prone delicate clears
Super fine cleaner/polish
Perfect intermediate step in a 3 step scenario
Not paintable

D302

...this product is specifically designed to remove DA haze that can occur during the D300/DMC correction step. Yet, as a super fine finishing polish it's great to use with foam pads as well.

Whatever the D302 formulation, I'm looking forward to getting some and giving a try.

I like the smell of D301. Does D302 smell like blueberries?
If you have tried D302 please leave your thoughts or feedback.