PDA

View Full Version : Water marks on Collinite 845

I.G
11-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I use this wax for about 5 months now (last time applied 2 months ago) and I have noticed water marks etched on the surface:
Before the last time I applied the wax I sew water marks as spots, covering almost the whole surface of the car, and I thought that they were under the wax, so I wiped the car with 6% IPA and reapplied the wax (2 layers).
During the re-application I noticed that the water marks didn't go away. I thought that the Collinite is immune to IPA (Its a strong stuff) and left it as it was, planning on using clay the next time.

Couple of weeks ago it started raining here and while washing the car last time (by hand with CG citrus and gloss), I have noticed new marks beneath the handles, like streams.

Does anybody ever heard about something like this? should I use a different wax?

*English is not my native language so please go easy on me :)

KillaCam
11-30-2013, 12:23 AM
845 tends to product tons of beads and if left to dry on the surface they could in fact create water marks and possible etch the paint. You might need to polish the water spots off then reapply your wax.

I.G
11-30-2013, 05:21 AM
You sure that only polishing will help here?
Clay won't be enough? (I was thinking about baying the sponge\ rubber clay, don't know which one yet + Dodo juice prime lime)

Should I use some other protection next time to prevent this spots or should I use another type of wax?
(now there is only the wax. I applied it for the first time about a month after baying the car)
I was thinking about "CG black light" or something similar.

KillaCam
11-30-2013, 08:42 AM
You should post some pictures of it so we can see. Then someone will be able to determine how bad they are. But always start with the least aggressive method first.

davidc
11-30-2013, 08:48 AM
You sure that only polishing will help here?
Clay won't be enough? (I was thinking about baying the sponge rubber clay, don't know which one yet + Dodo juice prime lime)

Should I use some other protection next time to prevent this spots or should I use another type of wax?
(now there is only the wax. I applied it for the first time about a month after baying the car)
I was thinking about "CG black light" or something similar.

I have not had the spotting since changing to sealants a long time ago. I used Zaino for 10 + years and Duragloss the last 2-3 with no spots. The beading is not tight like Carnuba or some hybrids but I look for long term protection not beading. Some 601/501 would probably clean those spots up then top with 601/105 maintain with Aqua Wax. Hopefully they did not etch in to the clear, if it did then claying and compounding/polishing will be required Just my opinion.

Dave