PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Put Together A Porter Cable Kit! Before Sale Runs Out

Pages : [1] 2

ousooner2
11-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Looking to take advantage of the Black Friday deal and would like to pick up a PC, whatever pads I might need and a few products. I have 2 brand new cars ('13 BLACK Accord and a '13 WHITE Civic). I know Honda is known for their soft paint so I'm not sure if I need a special pad or anything to use on these vehicles. Obviously neither has swirls as we've only had them for about 4-5 months.

I will be starting to detail other cars too. A few newer '10 and '11 Lexus' (one is black and one is dark red). I'd love to be able to help him remove the scratches/swirls marks he has, but don't want to mess anything up. From what I've seen in video's and the forums, it's pretty hard or impossible to mess anything up with the PC 7424xp. Also would likely work on my dad '14 Accord and a few other cars for now...hopefully pulling in more work as word of mouth spreads!

Now, I've seen there are TONS of different pads, pad sizes, etc etc....and I'm just too lost to read up right now AND purchase what I need within the BF sale time window. I was hoping you all could help me put something together! :dblthumb2:

I'd like to stay right around $180ish for everything (PC7424xp, pads and a good polish)

I already have:
1. Chemical Guys Blacklight
2. Menzerna PowerLock
3. Blackfire WDAFPP (sample bottle)
4. CarPro PERL
5. DG Rinseless w/ Aquawax
6. Meg's APC+
7. Plenty of MF towels, applicators, bottles, etc

...so I'm assuming I'll just need a polish and then move to my Blacklight or Menzerna correct?

Thanks fellas! :props:

CWallace
11-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Go with Griots 6" polisher: $139.99
Lake Country 5" backing plate: $18.99
LC flat pads 5.5"/6 pack: $34.99 or LC hydro tech pads
Wolfgang Swirl Remover Duo: $39.99
Minus your 25% of course!

ScottB
11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Random Orbital
5 inch flexible backing plate
5.5 inch Hydro-Tech pads
Menzerna SIP and 085rd

ousooner2
11-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Edit: ...just realized 'random orbital' is like the Griots polisher lol. Hey! I'm trying to learn

I wonder if I'd be better off buying the Griots kit below (and any products I might need with it) or buying separate products (since you can use the 25% off the products, but not the polisher)

I was told by AutoGeek that this is a good kit too. Any word on this?
Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

Also, a few users (since I double posted this lol..oops) have suggested that this is a good buy also and that the Griots polisher is better.
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit, Griot's Garage Random Orbital Machine, orbital polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/random-orbital-polisher-kit.html)

davidg
11-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Griots has more power, and I find it worked very well with a 6.5 inch pad. I prefer 5.5 inch pads after using both, but it was still very easy to use. The best thing about Griots is the lifetime warranty.

Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html)

I've been recommending this to new people. Wolfgang is made by Menzerna, Mike P. says it works well on every type of paint out there, and it's a complete kit. Just add some more pads and you're good to go!

My recommendation for the pads:2 orange, 2 white, and 2 black (or one black and one red/blue/gold)

or the Hydrotec pads, they are really popular. I keep stocking up on the CSS pads since that's what came with my kit when I got the PC.

You could also get the kit you listed and add: Menzerna Ceramic Intro Kit, Menzerna polishes, nano polish, ceramic paint, ceramic polish, car polish, how to polish ceramic paint (http://www.autogeek.net/ceramic-polish-kit.html)

Or XMT #1&2. I really like the XMT line, it's very easy to use.

I just did a week old civic that was not washed at the dealer. It still had swirls and I used a finishing polish on an orange pad, but if you get your kit with white as the most harsh pad it would be good to have a stronger product. When I was using a white pad and a finishing polish I didn't see much resolve to the swirls, and I was using a Flex 3401. The car had about 800 miles on it.

:dblthumb2:

ousooner2
11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Good find on that kit Davidg. Thanks! I was trying to piece together a kit with the Griots and then the 'other' stuff so I can use the 25% off...to see if it's cheaper that way. Doing that now.

Your pad recommendation...is that total or do I need to ADD 2 more orange, 2 more white, etc?? I have NO IDEA how long the pads last so that's the reasoning behind the question lol.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

CWallace
11-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html)

Good kit! Just and 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads! Call AGO and tell them to sub the 5.5" pads for the 6.5" ones that come in the kit! They will accommodate you, I'm sure of it!

ousooner2
11-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Alright so tell them to sub the 6.5" pads for 5.5" pads.

Edit: Found the answer to this! It will work with 5.5 and 6.5 pads Do I need to buy a 5" backing plate for the 5.5" pads to work or will the backing plate that comes with it (I'm assuming a 6" backing plate) work?

I'm assuming I'll also need to add a few pads (I'll add another of each pad). Is that Wolfgang stuff as good as the Meg's 105/205 combo?

davidg
11-29-2013, 02:07 PM
One pad will not do a car. For someone new and a big-ish car (it's not a miata) I think 2 is a minimum and would really recommend 3. You will add too much polish to the pad until you figure it out, this is going to remove a lot of cutting ability. Also, if you drop one it's done. You can wash the pads and clean then, but you can't polish with a wet pad.

You need to keep pads cool as well, and this means swapping after each panel or at least every other.

Black/Blue/Red/Gold will all be ok to have just 1 unless you drop it. They are "waxing" pads and you don't "work" them like you are polishing. They are pretty much just a huge wax applicator.

davidg
11-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Alright so tell them to sub the 6.5" pads for 5.5" pads. Do I need to buy a 5" backing plate for the 5.5" pads to work or will the backing plate that comes with it (I'm assuming a 6" backing plate) work?

I'm assuming I'll also need to add a few pads (I'll add another of each pad). Is that Wolfgang stuff as good as the Meg's 105/205 combo?

You'll need to add a smaller backing plate as well. If backing plate hands out or is right on the edge and you make a mistake where the plate touches the paint you will hate yourself. Smaller backing plate allows a margin for error.

The wolfgang should dust less, and have a longer work time. You should see equal results. 205/105 is the standard of what a polish/compound should be.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-29-2013, 02:32 PM
The PC does not have enough power for 6.5 inch pads.

All you need is a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads.

I would get a Griots over the PC, because it has more power.

Menzurna makes excellent products and Megs 105/205 is a good combo. I believe I've read that menzurna makes wolf gang's polishes (I could be wrong).

Coopers ST
11-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Griots has more power, and I find it worked very well with a 6.5 inch pad. I prefer 5.5 inch pads after using both, but it was still very easy to use. The best thing about Griots is the lifetime warranty.

My recommendation for the pads:2 orange, 2 white, and 2 black (or one black and one red/blue/gold)

Last Sunday I ordered the above kit along with 2 orange 2 white 1 black and 1 red. Should be here next week. It will be my first machine also. Keep watching the cyber deals, I also picked up 2 grit guards today for $11 shipped

ousooner2
11-29-2013, 10:06 PM
So I'm getting the Griots polisher, should I use the 6.5" pads because just the PC can't use the 6.5" pads....or should I get the 5.5" pads for the Griots?

KS_Detailing
11-29-2013, 10:35 PM
So I'm getting the Griots polisher, should I use the 6.5" pads because just the PC can't use the 6.5" pads....or should I get the 5.5" pads for the Griots?

Get the 5.5 pads. 6.5" pads are big. The 5.5 have a lower profile and easier to work with. I guess the 6.5 would be okay on a large truck's roof or something. Pick up some 4" pads for smaller areas. You will need a 3.5 backing plate.

Tato
11-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Dear,

The Porter Cable can use 6.5 Pads, it's just not the 'gold standard' for a polisher with it's power specs to achieve huge correction possibilities. To improve correction, one should increase pressure and this makes difficult to to keep spinning the pad. If the pad is not spinning, you are not removing swirls. You can make a mark on the back of your backing plate to better observe pad rotation. If pad stops rotating, you should reduce pressure allowing it to spin.

You can try to increase machine speed to 6 using 6.5' pads for correction to give more power to rotate the pad under pressure.

Also pay attention to pad thickness (a thicker pad will difficult rotation). Generally speaking, 5.5 inches pads are thinner (some exceptions).

If not from medium to heavy correction, you can polish and finish well with a PC and a 6.5' pad, that's because there's no need to add too much pressure at these steps.

That said, 5.5' pad will for sure make your life easier (smaller and thinner), as you'll not be fighting against your machine, you'll be both fighting together against swirls.

GG and Meguiar's made and call their machines a 6' DA, Meg's even sell 7' pads and encourages it's use on their 6' backing plate / G110v2, but for what I've said above, you'll be happier using 5.5', thinner pads on a free spinning DA.

That does not means you CAN'T use larger ones, just be assured to have a good technique (right pressure, pad spinning and slow arm speed).

It's always better to have a great variety of pads and backing plates (3 / 3.5 / 5 / 6), to tackle whatever you plan on a project. But if you want/can have just one set for now, go for 5 inches.

Kind Regards.