PDA

View Full Version : Coatings for new truck. Opinions please.

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi all,
Dad is going to be picking up a 2013 Ford F-150 in a two tone Green Gem and Silver color scheme. (5.0 motor for those that are curious.) I would like to use this opportunity as testing of products for my growing business and sort of as a rolling billboard.
I would like to do coatings on this specific vehicle because those products are new to me. I am looking for product recommendations to coat the whole vehicle and will present the ideas and more importantly the cost to my dad haha

A little background: the Green Gem color is a medium darkness green with loads of metallic flake so I would really like a coating that will make it pop. (I realize a lot of it has to do with proper prep but besides that.) My dad wasn't very religious with washing his last truck regularly but I think he will be better with this one seeing at is only his second new vehicle he has bought. This will be my first experience with coatings so the products would preferably be very user-friendly

Paint coatings: Opti-coat, Gtechniq Exo over C1, CQuartz, Black Label, etc?? I realize some of these coatings may provide different looks than others and it comes down to preference sometimes. That being said, I think a "candy coating" (no pun intended) look would look very good on this truck. Let me know.

Trim: Carpro DLux I think I'm set on this one from past reviews but am open to suggestions.

Wheels: ?? OC?

Tires: Tuf Shine

Glass: ?? Fly by 30?? Don't have too much knowledge on this specific type of coating so I am very open to recommendations.

Overall I am just looking for suggestions for this vehicle and am very open minded to trying new things. If I am forgetting anything please let me know.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated. Dalton

Pureshine
11-29-2013, 12:30 PM
I use Opti-coat all the time great product very easy to use and works great. I have also tried Gtechniq C1 and EXO to get the best results is to use both together. You need to apply one coat of C1 and wait 6-8 hours until you can apply 2 coats of EXO. EXO you have to wait 20-30 in between coats and have to work in smaller areas.I had called Gtechniq to get both application right since I only use Opti-coat.

HateSwirls
11-29-2013, 12:35 PM
The Black Lable Diamond can coat your paint ,wheels, glass and plastics.
I called AGO and asked them if the BL was the elite of all and without thinking about it he said yes.
Yes I understand they're in it for the money but not just for the money , they do care about their customers, I don't think one or the other is a big deal to them being they make a profit either way.
The way I look at it is that only one product is needed to do all, I broke it done and the best price was the all in one, Black Lable.

Best of luck:dblthumb2:

ScottB
11-29-2013, 12:37 PM
I am thinking Pinnacle, but Opti-coat is a nice choice too.

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I use Opti-coat all the time great product very easy to use and works great. I have also tried Gtechniq C1 and EXO to get the best results is to use both together. You need to apply one coat of C1 and wait 6-8 hours until you can apply 2 coats of EXO. EXO you have to wait 20-30 in between coats and have to work in smaller areas.I had called Gtechniq to get both application right since I only use Opti-coat.

Thanks for your response. I have heard a lot of good things about Opti-coat and it is definitely one of my top considerations. What did you think of the Exo over C1?

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 12:56 PM
The Black Lable Diamond can coat your paint ,wheels, glass and plastics.
I called AGO and asked them if the BL was the elite of all and without thinking about it he said yes.
Yes I understand they're in it for the money but not just for the money , they do care about their customers, I don't think one or the other is a big deal to them being they make a profit either way.
The way I look at it is that only one product is needed to do all, I broke it done and the best price was the all in one, Black Lable.

Best of luck:dblthumb2:

Thank you for your response. Black label is one of those products that just hit the market so the reviews and long-term applications are not available as much as others leading me to be a little more hesitant on it. I am not trying to say Black label is a bad coating, in fact I believe every review I saw was very good on it. I can see this product really taking off in the near future and it will be considered. Thank you for your recommendation.

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 01:00 PM
I am thinking Pinnacle, but Opti-coat is a nice choice too.

Thank you for your response. If I may ask, what coating do you like for specific reasons? Pros and cons of each?

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Any other recommendations or opinions?

Old Tiger
11-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Any other recommendations or opinions?
CQUARTZ has the best look and is the easiest to apply IME. OC is incredibly durable but wont leave that hard candy look. I would go with CQ - UK for a first time use. I have no experience with Black Label yet.
I have used the original C1. It is a good coating too.