PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all. Newbie needing help fast to beat discount deadline .

John G
11-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been a lurker for some time but need help on a product list which will include my first power polisher . I think Griots 6" is the best option for me.

I have a few cars that I personally like to detail twice a year but never with a power tool nor any superior products offered here.. I am so LOST as to the best cleaner, polish and sealer!??
I have three vehicles that have either a pearl, metallic and a plain
old white..
One is on order but will be here next week and want to do a paint correction and the color is white platinum metallic Tri cote which is a Ford F150
2 is Range Rover with a paint called Luxor which is a premium metallic that looks gray to silver depending on light condition .
3 is another Rover with Santorini Black wich is heavy metallic as well.
I'm sorry but not up on the lingo or proper terminology but want to take them all down to bare paint with dawn and clay bar, remove swirl marks, polish and seal with a shine that looks like you can swim in!

The interior on two is very light in color called ivory, the interior on truck is real dark called brick red. I need to do a deep clean and add some protection but way too many choices .

As you can see all paints are metallic with pearl and I haven't a clue what to apply for best results and protection inside and out ??
Any help on a quick must have items and more importantly what polish to use to remove swirls what wax and sealant would be helpful. I know everyone has a brand preference but a general idea would really help me. Thanks and this is a great forum!! John

Feed back pleaseFeed back please

cleanmycorolla
11-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Best is subjective. Choose what you think fits you, and go for it.

jamesboyy
11-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Welcome to autogeek

RFulmer
11-28-2013, 11:41 PM
I really like the Wolfgang Twins and then pick your protection (wax, sealant, or coating). For most cars you can use the twins and achieve great results. I find they works great with the HT pads also. Again, for the same reason as the twins, you can get the HT pad 3 pack and not worry with a dozen different pads.

John G
11-28-2013, 11:50 PM
One quick reply needed. If I buy the Porter XP Menzerna kit is this powerful enough to burn paint? I have never used one. The. John

zerix
11-28-2013, 11:51 PM
One quick reply needed. If I buy the Porter XP Menzerna kit is this powerful enough to burn paint? I have never used one. The. John

You will NOT burn the pain with a Porter Cable.

John G
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
I really like the Wolfgang Twins and then pick your protection (wax, sealant, or coating). For most cars you can use the twins and achieve great results. I find they works great with the HT pads also. Again, for the same reason as the twins, you can get the HT pad 3 pack and not worry with a dozen different pads.

Thanks you. Added to the order.

07RS4
11-28-2013, 11:58 PM
$1 the clock resets anyway :)

07RS4
11-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Lol, the sale is even better...the clock gets another victim. Sorry, but I hate that kind of advertising. Love the sales...hate the clock.

John G
11-29-2013, 12:08 AM
###!! I am glad I didn't push confirm. I added the code and noticed 11.79 discount .. ?? Ok. Now that is behind me the product list is brain overload. I thought I wanted Griots polisher but seen a lot of Porter XP users and being a virgin machine operator I am going to SLOWDOWN and weigh my options with research and hopefully input from the pros!! Thx. John

07RS4
11-29-2013, 12:16 AM
###!! I am glad I didn't push confirm. I added the code and noticed 11.79 discount .. ?? Ok. Now that is behind me the product list is brain overload. I thought I wanted Griots polisher but seen a lot of Porter XP users and being a virgin machine operator I am going to SLOWDOWN and weigh my options with research and hopefully input from the pros!! Thx. John

Good choice. Take your time..build your wishlist and be ready for the sales and go with it. This time of year they are great. Also, no need to go crazy and try to hit min amounts if you don't want to spend that much.

cleanmycorolla
11-29-2013, 12:25 AM

Honestly with either of those machines you'd have to throw it at your car, then drag it across the paint, to literally do any damage. They're simple tools. Don't over think it man, I over thought it at first to. One minute into polishing I was mad at myself for over hyping it. It's simple, breathe, relax, it's supposed to be fun.

Tato
11-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Read all of great suggestions you already have, I'll just add to your doubt.

Have you considered a Meguiar's DA (v2) with the Microfiber DA System?
Meguiars G110v2 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html)

It's a complete system to start with.

You get the polisher, both backing plates (5'/6'), 4 MF pads, correction compound / finishing wax, it's a fair kit to start with. You also receive a M100 (stronger compound to tackle more defects) and a free apron (useful to carry product/etc around with you during the polishing session).

If then you decide to really 'immerse' in this kind of job/hobby/etc, you can order new pads and compounds/polishes to better equip. your setup.

Further, you can get hydrotech pads (5.5' - you'll already have the backing plate from the prior kit), M205 finishing polish, or even the great WG products suggested before (I would add the Deep Gloss Sealant as Last Step (LSP) in this case).

Again, these words are just another suggestion for you to have an ample point of view on what you can get to start right.

Don't worry, independently on what you buy now, you will always need to place new orders to complete your setup.

They say wax is for men as shoes are for women: you can never have too many. Although I do agree with this statement, I must add:

Wax/Tools/Polishes/Compounds/Pads/Shampoos/etc are for men as shoes are for women... !! lol!

Hope you get a great result in your decision.

Kind Regards.

John G
11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi,

Read all of great suggestions you already have, I'll just add to your doubt.

Have you considered a Meguiar's DA (v2) with the Microfiber DA System?
Meguiars G110v2 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html)

It's a complete system to start with.

You get the polisher, both backing plates (5'/6'), 4 MF pads, correction compound / finishing wax, it's a fair kit to start with. You also receive a M100 (stronger compound to tackle more defects) and a free apron (useful to carry product/etc around with you during the polishing session).

If then you decide to really 'immerse' in this kind of job/hobby/etc, you can order new pads and compounds/polishes to better equip. your setup.

Further, you can get hydrotech pads (5.5' - you'll already have the backing plate from the prior kit), M205 finishing polish, or even the great WG products suggested before (I would add the Deep Gloss Sealant as Last Step (LSP) in this case).

Again, these words are just another suggestion for you to have an ample point of view on what you can get to start right.

Don't worry, independently on what you buy now, you will always need to place new orders to complete your setup.

They say wax is for men as shoes are for women: you can never have too many. Although I do agree with this statement, I must add:

Wax/Tools/Polishes/Compounds/Pads/Shampoos/etc are for men as shoes are for women... !! lol!

Hope you get a great result in your decision.

Kind Regards.

That's a great idea. Thx for info. John