PDA

View Full Version : Buffing clearcoated wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

FMINUS
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Right now I am just using soap to wash the wheels then either seal w DP or PB, then maintain with either AW or ONE.

Is there a way to buff the wheel, say with a mothers ball polisher w say, a metal polishing cream? Or would that destroy the clearcoat on the wheel?

My cars DO NOT have chrome wheels, all are racing style type wheels. BBS, VOLK forged wheels.

BTW, does any one know what the wheels are made from? Aluminum?

budman3
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Why not treat it like regular paint and use a polish designed for paint??? I think that the metal polish would work but it's quite abrasive and IMO isn't worth the risk. Use a normal polish like you'd use on the rest of your car with the powerball and you'd be all set.

orngez
06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
metal polish will remove all the CC...waay to abrassive...just use something loke xmt1 on the wheels...should make them shine up real nice....i find the powerball to be a great thing to use...just watch the rpms...

ricka
06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Or give the DP Wheel Glaze a try. Some complain that it's tough to remove but its pretty easy if you don't wait too long--its nearly a WOWO product. I then spritz with AW and buff again with an MF. Works like a dream on the clearcoat wheels.

We've been pounded by rain lately and the brake dust just flows right off.

FMINUS
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
metal polish will remove all the CC...waay to abrassive...just use something loke xmt1 on the wheels...should make them shine up real nice....i find the powerball to be a great thing to use...just watch the rpms...

Good idea, I will try that.

Now check out my other thread about wheel cleaners...

FMINUS
06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Or give the DP Wheel Glaze a try. Some complain that it's tough to remove but its pretty easy if you don't wait too long--its nearly a WOWO product. I then spritz with AW and buff again with an MF. Works like a dream on the clearcoat wheels.

We've been pounded by rain lately and the brake dust just flows right off.

I have 3 wheel glazes;
DP,CG and PB.

I have yet to use CG, but DP is better than PB in my opinion. I dont have problems removing it, I think its just as easy as PB.

ScottB
06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I have used Menzerna FP on clearcoated wheels and Mini Ball with great success. Buy the extra heads, so you can have one for paint, one for metal, and a backup !

Truls
06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Power ball is a great tool polishing the rims, did DG 101 on the wheels on my wifes car and that worked well.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/truhaa/IMG_4025.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/truhaa/IMG_4054.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/truhaa/IMG_4021.jpg

These are about 6 years old, and they have not seen much polish in those years. cleaned up well and makes em easy to maintain after.

FMINUS
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
how fast do u keep the ball spinnin?

Truls
06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Ive got 2 settings on the drill(acu), and i use the slowest speed when applying and i just speed up when it starts to dry. just hold the drill/powerball firmly, and dont keep it in tight spots for a long time, i got the flitz polish ball too, that said, buy Mothers....;)

The small ball is great for rims with many spokes, and the bigger ball for less spokes, and the backside

LazerRed1
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
My cars DO NOT have chrome wheels, all are racing style type wheels. BBS, VOLK forged wheels.

BTW, does any one know what the wheels are made from? Aluminum?

Depending on the wheel. probably aluminum. I don't use any chemicals at all on my Volks. Why take a chance with the clear on wheels that are $900+ per. I use car wash soap and a mitt. Most sealants and waxes won't stay on the wheel due to the heat.

Stick to elbow grease and you certainly won't ruin a wheel. Switching to a more dustless pad also helps.

2KLS1
06-26-2007, 06:40 PM
What if I wanted to strip the clear coat off my wheels. What could I use for that?

Sorry for hijacking you tread FMINUS.

D
06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
You're supposed to let the DP glaze dry, then buff off. I just spray some QD on when Im ready to buff.

FMINUS
06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
You're supposed to let the DP glaze dry, then buff off. I just spray some QD on when Im ready to buff.

Yea I do let it haze, even then I think its easy to remove.

ScottB
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Forged Wheels = Aluminum
Can come in 1,2,or 3 piece wheels.

My wheels cost quite a bit more than Volks, and I still use P21S on them and they are uncoated also. Very safe cleaner. That said, when I can get away with it, soap and water is a great line of attack.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/PICT0042.JPG