PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing polishes

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I am going to be working on modern exotic cars like Ferrari, maserati, and even lambos. But i am also going to be doing run of the mill sports cars like bimmers, Porsches, and benz's. I am trying to look for some high end polishes (more than one)for my DA(random orbiter). I need polishes that are not too strong, but strong enough to get the job done. preferably polishes that do not leave micro maring. Also they need to break down at a good speed, not to fast, not too slow, so i dont have to work them in forever, most of the cars i will be doing have medium to Moderate to minimal swirls, i dont think i will be encountering much oxidation. And as always i want polishes that will only remove just enough paint to do the job, not burn it away. Aslo a really important thing i forgot to mention is that i want a polish that will not leave huge amounts of dust every where. And the polishes have to be designed to work with random orbitals.Any suggestions

ScottB
06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Menzerna .... FP, Nano, and SIP !!

coupe
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Eh, special cars do not require special polishes.

Your pretty much lookin for a miracle product it sounds like lol

kellyinkc
06-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I am going to be working on modern exotic cars like Ferrari, maserati, and even lambos. But i am also going to be doing run of the mill sports cars like bimmers, Porsches, and benz's. I am trying to look for some high end polishes (more than one)for my DA(random orbiter). I need polishes that are not too strong, but strong enough to get the job done. preferably polishes that do not leave micro maring. Also they need to break down at a good speed, not to fast, not too slow, so i dont have to work them in forever, most of the cars i will be doing have medium to Moderate to minimal swirls, i dont think i will be encountering much oxidation. And as always i want polishes that will only remove just enough paint to do the job, not burn it away. Aslo a really important thing i forgot to mention is that i want a polish that will not leave huge amounts of dust every where. And the polishes have to be designed to work with random orbitals.Any suggestions

Ummmmmm.... Run of the mill beemers, Porsches???????
Feed back please
I have been away still detailing! I have a Makita 9227 arriving tomorrow

Ivan Rajic
06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Suggestions include:

Meguiar's
Menzerna
Presta
Optimum... Etc etc etc etc

I would listen to killr and use Menzerna... SIP and 106ff would probably be enough for you with yellow, orange, green and white LC pads

orngez
06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
menzerna is the way to go...and you are going to need to step up to a rotary if you want to minimize dealing with micromarring as it is easier to one step polish with a rotary and get great results...and save yourself hours per detail...if you want to stick with the PC menzerna is still the way to go...and go with the ceramiclear polishes like everyone else recommended

Thejoyofdriving
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I thought menzerna polishes are designed to work with rotarys?

supercharged
06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Menzerna .... FP, Nano, and SIP !!
I double that!!! Final Polish, Nano polish PO106FF (is a must), and Super Intensive polish.
I'd get some XMT 360 too.

Z06-Goose
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I thought menzerna polishes are designed to work with rotarys?hmmm?! this is like the second time I hear that. I hope it hasn't become a fact by now... :confused:
No, you can still use menzerna with a PC; obviously better results can be had with a rotary, but in my own experience it works real nice with a PC
As for choices...menzerna, menzerna, and menzerna! :)

Thejoyofdriving
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I have heard that the menzerna polishes need the high speed and heat provided by a rotary to work properly, i also heard that if you use menzerna polishes with a pc it will take a real long time to break them down.

Ivan Rajic
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I have heard that the menzerna polishes need the high speed and heat provided by a rotary to work properly, i also heard that if you use menzerna polishes with a pc it will take a real long time to break them down.

Any polish used with a PC will take longer to break down than with rotary.
I have had good experiences with Meguiar's stuff since that's what I use 95% of the time
It doesn't take much longer to break down than with the rotary and works great with Lake Country 6.5" pads... one example I can give you is a 2'x2' area, using #80 and LC orange pad on speed 6, I go with 6-7 passes and feel that I get the best results that way... the 6-7 passes take about 3-4 mins at most and I do go pretty slow with it... I have used Menzerna FPII with LC orange pad and pc on speed 6 and it took about the same time to break down (well to give me results I was after) as the Meg's #80 did... hope that helps

Thejoyofdriving
06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
on the menzerna website it says that their finishing polish can remove 1500 grit sanding marks!!!!!!!!, that is insanely too abrasive! I dont even think any of my current heavy polishes could take out 1500 grit sanding marks. If menzerna polishes are indeed that harsh i wont touch them, a finishing polish should be very very mild, not act like a heavy cutting compound. Me and my customers want our paint finishes to look good for a long time, i can only imagine that if you use a product that can take out 1500 grit marks your clear coat is going to go bye bye in no time.

Z06-Goose
06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Which menzerna are you referring to?
On the scale 0 to 5; 5 being the highest, the PO85RD3.02 is a 3.5 in cutting
It has a creamy texture. You could not feel any abrasives in it. The menzerna micro-abrasives are as fine as 0.3 micron. (A human hair is ~100-micron)

I still can finish LSP ready with the 3.02 with a PC. I doubt I will take 1500-grit swirls with my PC on my Corvette, but I'm sure it can be done with a rotary. From there, I got the PO106FF (2.5 cut) and the PO85RD (1.5) they all have high-gloss ratings

Tropicality
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
on the menzerna website it says that their finishing polish can remove 1500 grit sanding marks!!!!!!!!, that is insanely too abrasive! I dont even think any of my current heavy polishes could take out 1500 grit sanding marks. If menzerna polishes are indeed that harsh i wont touch them, a finishing polish should be very very mild, not act like a heavy cutting compound. Me and my customers want our paint finishes to look good for a long time, i can only imagine that if you use a product that can take out 1500 grit marks your clear coat is going to go bye bye in no time.

I'm unsure where you are getting that info but it is incorrect, the chart on AG's Menzerna page Menzerna of Germany (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html) shows that the final polish is set for 2500 grit sanding marks, while the chart at Menzernas website. menzerna: Feste und Flüssige Poliermittel (http://www.menzerna.de) says the same thing http://www.menzerna.de/files/e_polish%20web.pdf

Ivan Rajic
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Joyof driving, no offense to you, but I really think you should do a little research on a few different brands of polishes, what pads they're used with and what results they yield... every polish line has a more abrasive polish that will take out reall rough stuff from the paint... the only choice you have here is to research as much as you can and buy whatever you think fits your detailing style best, or simply buy a bunch of polishes, a paint gage and go at it on a scrap panel to see what each is actually doing.. good luck to you