PDA

View Full Version : How to remove mineral buildup

kuhli
11-28-2013, 12:42 PM
I parked underneath a sprinkler in an indoor parkade and it proceeded to drip over the course of the day. The result is a thick buildup of minerals that don't give up to the solvents in my polish. I used a mid abrasive polish on a microfiber pad in a half hearted attempt to remove the buildup with no luck, I quit pretty early because I didn't want to pick up chunks of the minerals and cause a bunch of scratching.

No luck with clay either...

I'm guessing that I need to use a solvent of some sort but I'm not sure what's safe to use.

Suggestions?

jamesboyy
11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
try a acid water spot remover , where gloves and rub the acid water spot remover in it should remove it therefore dont leave it too long the wash then whole car or that area to neutralize it..good luck

MarkD51
11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering how a product like Iron-X, or one of those types of similar products (snow soap?) would work?

Is Iron-X an Acidic product, that might dissolve this, which is probably calcium-alkali based?
Mark

jamesboyy
11-28-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm wondering how a product like Iron-X, or one of those types of similar products (snow soap?) would work?

Is Iron-X an Acidic product, that might dissolve this, which is probably calcium-alkali based?
Mark

Sorry its not acidic it have a pH balance of 6 or 7 and i never tried it but who ever does let us know how it work

MarkD51
11-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Sorry, thought about this after I wrote it, and seemed to remember Iron-X is a Ph balanced solution. Thus, it would most likely be ineffective.
Mark

Rsurfer
11-28-2013, 01:08 PM
I parked underneath a sprinkler in an indoor parkade and it proceeded to drip over the course of the day. The result is a thick buildup of minerals that don't give up to the solvents in my polish. I used a mid abrasive polish on a microfiber pad in a half hearted attempt to remove the buildup with no luck, I quit pretty early because I didn't want to pick up chunks of the minerals and cause a bunch of scratching.

No luck with clay either...

I'm guessing that I need to use a solvent of some sort but I'm not sure what's safe to use.

Suggestions?

There a lot of automotive water spot remover for paint. All are acidic, so wear gloves and eye protection.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Distilled white vinegar with some dwell time typically works well to break down mineral deposits. Poorboy's World Pro Polish or Polish w/ Sealant works well as a follow up polish to remove the rest of the mineral deposits.

theblob640
11-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Here is a video that Larry from AMMO made.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdH_7hVzkY"]How to Remove Water Spots and Calcium/Lime Deposits - YouTube[/video]

swanicyouth
11-28-2013, 04:32 PM
I hate to tell you this, but from what you said you will likely need to polish/compound those spots off. If you already tried polish w/ a MF pad with no luck (assuming done correctly), they are likely type 2 spots which means shallow etches in the paint.

Water spot remover will only remove type 1 spots - so should any polish or AIO.

spiralout462
11-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I think I would try the same polish but with a little more effort. "Put a little passion behind the pad" as Mike Phillips says. If that still don't do it, try a compound with a bit more cut. If you stay around long enough we will talk you into a polisher and an assortment of pads. :)

Welcome to AGO!!!

MarkD51
11-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I remembered something similar that happened to me about 5 years ago with my Tahoe. (The tap water here is truly disgusting)

I was able to remove some really hard water spots with 3m Perfect-It Hand Glaze (by hand). It worked me, but the paint came up good.

I don't see why such a hand glaze cannot be used with a DA, and a soft-gentle pad?

Might be worth a try, versus a more aggressive means of removal?
Mark

kuhli
11-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Here is a video that Larry from AMMO made.

How to Remove Water Spots and Calcium/Lime Deposits - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdH_7hVzkY)

Perfect, that's exactly it, the buildup and source of the problem is identical. Funny enough, the first place I went was AMMO because of his excellent vids but I missed this.

Rest assured...I already have the buffer and set of pads...and disappointingly weak Griott's polishes...they really seem conservative so that you don't get yourself in trouble.

Thanks everyone!