PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding low-quality paint @ a body shop

MattyL
11-28-2013, 08:43 AM
First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone & their families!

Now....A deer ran into the side of my car last weekend and I am now in the process of finding a QUALITY shop using QUALITY materials to repaint the fender where the deer hit. A buddy of mine said to avoid shops using certain paint systems, PPG Shopline in particular. I am a novice in regard to the particulars of paint systems and their specs, so I am nervous here.

Autogeeks, what questions should I be asking, and what should I be looking for to ensure a decent spray that will look good for years to come? Car is a BMW with anthracite metallic paint from the factory.

Thanks!

jankerson
11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Why not go to the BMW Dealer and have them do it?

That would be the 1st place to go and get an estimate.....

It won't be cheap, but it will be right...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Why not go to the BMW Dealer and have them do it?

That would be the 1st place to go and get an estimate.....

It won't be cheap, but it will be right...

Agreed.

Your best bet is to go to the dealer and find out who does there work if they don't have a shop on the premises.

Then you can find out what equipment and products they use and go from there.

That's your best bet.

swanicyouth
11-28-2013, 08:58 AM
BMW certifies certain body shops. From what I understand its quote tough to get certified. Last check (it's been a few years) there was just one in PA. So, that's the shop I used. Luckily, its wasn't to far.

jankerson
11-28-2013, 09:10 AM
BMW certifies certain body shops. From what I understand its quote tough to get certified. Last check (it's been a few years) there was just one in PA. So, that's the shop I used. Luckily, its wasn't to far.

Yeah, they are no joke about their cars.

MattyL
11-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Agreed.

Your best bet is to go to the dealer and find out who does there work if they don't have a shop on the premises.

Then you can find out what equipment and products they use and go from there.

That's your best bet.

Dealership near me uses an outside shop, so i'm probably going to do this first. I just figured there may be some other lines of paint also worth consideration in addition to what they spray with; these guys are not cheap from what i've heard, but the quality is there.

I would kill for that!