PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Detailing & have a Microfiber Towel Selecting Headache, what to get???

Pages : [1] 2

jtrade
11-27-2013, 08:26 PM
First off Hello as I am new here & also a complete Newbie to detailing vehicles using "quality products"... I have done some searches but really cannot find a "this is what works best for this task" regarding Microfiber towels...

We have recently purchased a "new to us" Used 2012 Model Vehicle which I would like to keep in the condition as it sits, which for the most part is clean as a whistle...

My question comes in the Microfiber towel realm as there are so many many many different towels out there but I am clueless as to what exactly I need for what and which are better when comparing brands... It has given me a headache today researching...

Currently my detailing Arsenal includes the following "quality" towels as I would put them. I do have a couple of Dollar General Brand "Spa" & Glass Towels which remain unopened...

2 x Adam's Polishes Utility Towels
2 x Adam's Polishes Glass Towels
2 x Adam's Polishes Red Applicator Pads (for Leather Conditioner)

So my question is what towels do I need for the following as these are the main tasks I am concerned about getting towels for...

- Interior Cleaner
- Interior Detailer
- Leather Conditioner
- Glass Cleaner
- Glass Sealent
- Vehicle Washing
- Rinseless or Waterless Wash
- Vehicle Drying
- Exterior Detail Spray/Clay Bar Lubricant

Thanks in advance & I am looking to pickup some towels during Black Friday for each of the above tasks if the current towels I have will not do the job well for a specific task, which I'm sure wont for the tasks at hand...

Also, if the products I am currently planning on using for some of these tasks need to be known let me know & I will post exactly what I currently have and am using...

rms64
11-27-2013, 08:45 PM
First off Hello as I am new here & also a complete Newbie to detailing vehicles using "quality products"... I have done some searches but really cannot find a "this is what works best for this task" regarding Microfiber towels...

We have recently purchased a "new to us" Used 2012 Model Vehicle which I would like to keep in the condition as it sits, which for the most part is clean as a whistle...

My question comes in the Microfiber towel realm as there are so many many many different towels out there but I am clueless as to what exactly I need for what and which are better when comparing brands... It has given me a headache today researching...

Currently my detailing Arsenal includes the following "quality" towels as I would put them. I do have a couple of Dollar General Brand "Spa" & Glass Towels which remain unopened...

2 x Adam's Polishes Utility Towels
2 x Adam's Polishes Glass Towels
2 x Adam's Polishes Red Applicator Pads (for Leather Conditioner)

So my question is what towels do I need for the following as these are the main tasks I am concerned about getting towels for...

- Interior Cleaner

I'd suggest some utility type microfibers, like these:

Yellow All Purpose Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, car cleaning towels (http://www.autogeek.net/all-purpose-towels-3.html)

- Interior Detailer

Same as above

- Leather Conditioner

Same as above

- Glass Cleaner

I really like waffle weaves for glass cleaning, like these:

The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

- Glass Sealent

same as for glass cleaning above

- Vehicle Washing

For washing, get yourself one (or two, or three) good quality mitts, like these:

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

- Rinseless or Waterless Wash

For this, I'd recommend something a little higher end, like these:

Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/best-waterless-wash-towel.html)

or these:

Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-jr--microfiber-towel.html)

- Vehicle Drying

I really like the gold plush towels for drying, using the blot method, or master blaster is a great way to go - but expensive.

Gold Plush Microfiber Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-towels.html)

- Exterior Detail Spray/Clay Bar Lubricant

if the exterior is clean and you're using detail spray, these are great for polishing etc...you can also use the waterless recommendation here:

Woobie Microfiber Towel, 3-Pack, buffing towel, edgeless polishing cloth (http://www.autogeek.net/paint-polishing-towel.html)

Thanks in advance & I am looking to pickup some towels during Black Friday for each of the above tasks if the current towels I have will not do the job well for a specific task, which I'm sure wont for the tasks at hand...

Also, if the products I am currently planning on using for some of these tasks need to be known let me know & I will post exactly what I currently have and am using...

Hi, see my suggestions above and welcome to the forum! Also, I really like the Arctic Whites for almost anything - they're really plush, not crazy expensive, and work well:

Arctic White Microfiber Towel, microfiber cloth, detailing towel (http://www.autogeek.net/white-microfiber-towel.html)

Might as well invest in some microfiber-specific cleaners to take care of them right while you're at it.

Good luck and again, welcome - enjoy your new obsession (it gets worse):xyxthumbs:

jtrade
11-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi, see my suggestions above and welcome to the forum! Also, I really like the Arctic Whites for almost anything - they're really plush, not crazy expensive, and work well:

Arctic White Microfiber Towel, microfiber cloth, detailing towel (http://www.autogeek.net/white-microfiber-towel.html)

Might as well invest in some microfiber-specific cleaners to take care of them right while you're at it.

Good luck and again, welcome - enjoy your new obsession (it gets worse):xyxthumbs:

Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated!!!!! I have been comparing Towels from Multiple Sites/Vendors/Etc and have been pulling my hair out all day trying to decide what I need... Cause I cannot tell the difference in them regarding brands/vendors/etc...

As for the obsession, trust me I know as I have already spent around $200 on products over the past month & still dont have everything I need to keep this vehicle in tip top shape inside and out...

As for the Arctic Whites, I was def gonna get some of those & they looked great for an all purpose towel! Also yes some Microfiber Towel Cleaner is on my list as well... I have been using All Detergent "Free & Clear" for the towels I have now and a little white vinegar in the 2nd rinse...

rms64
11-27-2013, 09:01 PM
No problem at all - there's a ton of great information here, and some really great people.

The selection can be overwhelming for sure - and I forgot to mention if you plan on doing regular waterless / rinseless washes, you'll need LOTS of good quality towels. I use 7 or 8 for a typical waterless.

The arctic whites are great - I end up adding a couple in every order (which is embarrassingly frequent) and before you know it, you've got a bunch. They also go on BOGO fairly often.

Enjoy!

jtrade
11-27-2013, 09:08 PM
No problem at all - there's a ton of great information here, and some really great people.

The selection can be overwhelming for sure - and I forgot to mention if you plan on doing regular waterless / rinseless washes, you'll need LOTS of good quality towels. I use 7 or 8 for a typical waterless.

The arctic whites are great - I end up adding a couple in every order (which is embarrassingly frequent) and before you know it, you've got a bunch. They also go on BOGO fairly often.

Enjoy!

Thanks again!! And Yes the reason I put the waterless/rinseless wash in the list was due to another recent purchase of a 1995 Mustang GT but it has been sitting outside for at least a year or more, per the previous owner but for the price and mileage I could not pass it up, so the paint has tons of crap/moldish looking stuff on it but I hope will wash off with a little scrubbing... It will be parked under the carport when I get it washed and running so a rinseless/waterless wash will be perfect for it while Im working on the Engine/Interior/Etc (fixing it up)...

rms64
11-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks again!! And Yes the reason I put the waterless/rinseless wash in the list was due to another recent purchase of a 1995 Mustang GT but it has been sitting outside for at least a year or more so the paint has tons of crap/moldish looking stuff on it but I hope will wash off with a little scrubbing... It will be parked under the carport when I get it washed and running so a rinseless/waterless wash will be perfect for it while Im working on the Engine...

Sounds like you're headed for a DA - definitely post pics and there will be tons of help here. I am a mustang guy - my Saleen in my avatar....sold it and have regretted it ever since.

jtrade
11-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you're headed for a DA - definitely post pics and there will be tons of help here. I am a mustang guy - my Saleen in my avatar....sold it and have regretted it ever since.

Noticed ur avatar... Im a mustang guy as well... Love em.. 1st was a 1966 Pony (my Father and myself semi-restored and painted candy apple red) when I was 15, then a '94 V6 (couldn't afford a V8 at the time), then a 2000 GT (got ran off the road & flipped it, pics are horrible)... When I ran across this '95 GT 2 weeks ago I had to grab it for the price & it has very little miles on it for its age... I always liked the 94-98 body style & always wished mine back then had a 5.0!

rms64
11-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Definitely post some pics if you can - I am a fan of the older body styles for sure. From your description, sounds like it might need more than a wash, but it's amazing the results that can be achieved with the right approach!

jtrade
11-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Definitely post some pics if you can - I am a fan of the older body styles for sure. From your description, sounds like it might need more than a wash, but it's amazing the results that can be achieved with the right approach!

For sure, will start a new thread when the times comes... Cause I know I will need advice but nothing is getting washed the next couple of days when in the 20-40's..... Brrrrrrrrrr...... Anyways thank you again & I hope come Black Friday to get some good deals as I'm going to stock up of Towels!!!

bsmith0404
11-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I love the Gold Plush for waterless wash and instant detailing, Miracle Towels are great for wax/polish removal. The Zaino edgeless blonde is pretty nice too. Guzzler waffle weaves are great for drying (but not as good as an air/leaf blower). My shop vac has a removable top which doubles as a leaf blower 2 in 1 tool. Waffle weave glass towels are nice. Those are the only specialty towels I use, have quite a few of each.

For general cleaning, engine, door jams, rocker panels, wheels, interior..Sams Club has some decent MFs that are a lot cheaper (about 85 cents each) and get the job done. Don't spend too much on towels for these areas, you will cringe every time you look at how dirty your high dollar MF gets if you do.

Harry Da Hamster
11-28-2013, 09:59 PM
For correction, I really like Pakshak towels. I also like their Waffle Weave towels for drying. They're Korean made (which is what you want to look for in a MF towel), some of the best in the business, and reasonably priced. And if I'm not mistaken, they will be on sale BOGO for Black Friday only.

If LSP or some sort of lubrication has been applied or for interior use, I feel Costco towels are sufficient.

jtrade
11-28-2013, 10:25 PM
I love the Gold Plush for waterless wash and instant detailing, Miracle Towels are great for wax/polish removal. The Zaino edgeless blonde is pretty nice too. Guzzler waffle weaves are great for drying (but not as good as an air/leaf blower). My shop vac has a removable top which doubles as a leaf blower 2 in 1 tool. Waffle weave glass towels are nice. Those are the only specialty towels I use, have quite a few of each.

For general cleaning, engine, door jams, rocker panels, wheels, interior..Sams Club has some decent MFs that are a lot cheaper (about 85 cents each) and get the job done. Don't spend too much on towels for these areas, you will cringe every time you look at how dirty your high dollar MF gets if you do.

Thanks & I hope the waffles are on BOGO, those I may need the most for Drying! I got some no named Micro's in different colors I have in a zip lock bag just for engine & other messy stuff! In fact that is where all the previous Microfiber towels went before I got the 4 x Adam's towels! I have a couple of un-opened Dollar General Branded "Spa" & "Glass" towels which may go in the trash...

For correction, I really like Pakshak towels. I also like their Waffle Weave towels for drying. They're Korean made (which is what you want to look for in a MF towel), some of the best in the business, and reasonably priced. And if I'm not mistaken, they will be on sale BOGO for Black Friday only.

If LSP or some sort of lubrication has been applied or for interior use, I feel Costco towels are sufficient.

Thank you!! I dont know what LSP is but for the interior I have only used a Interior/Leather Conditioner on everything at this point about 3 weeks ago & it still looks the same to this day..

Just looking for options if I want to use a detailer on the Interior... I am more worried about Towels for Exterior use for drying, detail spray, waterless/rinseless wash...

I hope there is a good sale tomorrow as I have at least $175 (I know that isnt much) I want to spend on towels alone... I have to keep "My Baby's new Baby Spotless"

Thank you all for helping out a complete Newbie!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Harry Da Hamster
11-28-2013, 10:34 PM
LSP stands for last step product. So that would mean wax, sealant, or coating.

I like Adams Interior Detailer and 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

jtrade
11-28-2013, 10:41 PM
LSP stands for last step product. So that would mean wax, sealant, or coating.

I like Adams Interior Detailer and 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks didnt know what LSP meant!!

Also, I have Adam's Detailer which is what I was looking for towels for to use on non Leather area's of the Vehicle...

The conditioner I mentioned is also Adam's, man that stuff rocks IMO, 3 weeks & looks identical to the day it was applied it...

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I think this will help you understand microfiber better and make better choices when buying towels.

The Microfiber Manifesto: Everything You Need To Know About Microfiber Towels (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/microfiber-manifesto-everything-need-know-microfiber-towels/)