PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches under door handle

2007M6
11-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Has anyone ever tried to remove scratches under door handles? Drill with mother's powerball, mini 3 inch. hand applicator, etc? It may not be a concern for most, but I got my name for a reason.

chrislorl
11-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I actually just had my car done with xpel paint protection film and had custom cuts made to protect them inside for things like this. Rings do damage.
As far as polishing the power ball will just get jammed up in there and can burn. I am sure you will get a few good ideas on how to repair it but then look at some protection going forward.

Joeyavhu
11-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I usually take a heavy compund and just apply it with a microfiber cloth. Ive done this on many cars easily and with many positive results. Machines are just gonna scratch those tough areas.

RTexasF
11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
As said above, do it by hand. You may or may not need a heavy compound depending on the severity of the scratches.

bsmith0404
11-27-2013, 07:50 PM
MF towels or 4" pads by hand depending on how much room you have under the handle. Usually the towel.

parttimer
11-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Mf towel, foam finger pocket anything like that and some compound removes most if not all.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

killrflake
11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Like most everyone said use a mf towel or the like and some light
compound and apply with your fingers. It worked for me many times. Good luck.

lawrenceSA
11-28-2013, 01:24 AM
I do this on every car I detail. A MF Towel, Foam applicator or finger pocket will work fine and will reduce the risks of a cc burn through compared to using something like a power ball.

I also tend to prefer using a SMAT based polish for this, as it allows you to stop working the polish whenever you need to. Treat it like any other portion of paint in respect of dialing in which product/applicator etc to use.

In my opinion, NOT doing this will simply detract from the look of the rest of the car.

2007M6
11-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Has anyone ever tried to remove scratches under door handles? Drill with mother's powerball, mini 3 inch. hand applicator, etc? It may not be a concern for most, but I got my name for a reason.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have a few compounds to choose from and wolfgang fingerpockets.

1. blackire SRC
2. menzerna f400/si 1500
3. wolfgang uber compound
4. adams paint correcting polish

Will post before and after when I'm done.

jpegs13
11-28-2013, 06:23 AM
The fingerpockets and the uber compound will do fine. Uber is my new go to polish!

drvnbysound
11-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Info on working on very small areas beginning about the 28:00 mark, and under door handles around the 30:00 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsNg1iCoTU

dcjredline
11-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Yup, by hand here too. Do it on EVERY car I have ever corrected.

tuscarora dave
11-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I do these areas by hand too but I like using cotton towels because they just work faster as they have more bite. These areas are one of the first things I correct before picking up a polisher.

I've tried using smaller pads on a polisher but there's way too much risk of damaging the car that way.

DetailKitty
11-29-2013, 10:13 AM
I do these areas by hand too but I like using cotton towels because they just work faster as they have more bite. These areas are one of the first things I correct before picking up a polisher.

I've tried using smaller pads on a polisher but there's way too much risk of damaging the car that way.

Oooooo thanks for that tip Dave- I need to try the cotton balls next time :xyxthumbs:

Hazcat
11-29-2013, 12:39 PM
I use Megs UC under door handles.