PDA

View Full Version : Another issue with Outlook???

Pages : [1] 2

Surfer
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Finally got everything reinstalled, put in my info for my email for business, press send/recieve, and I get only new messages. I had a ton, pry 1K saved messages with important info along with other emails with deals for my business....ummm where the hell are they, I can't get anyone at Microsost on the phone.

Mike T
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
You backed up all the old data?

"The default location where Outlook 2003 stores your data is in Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst"

Surfer
06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
You backed up all the old data?

"The default location where Outlook 2003 stores your data is in Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst"I didn't back up, Microsoft told me all emails are stored like on a server so when I did the recovery everything would still be there when I hit send/receive.

Theres no folder for local settings though?

Mike T
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
You can't view folders like "local settings" until you do the following steps. When your in Winodws Explorer Click on "tools" on the top of the page, then go down to "folder Options", then click on the "view" tab, Go half way down the page and put a dot in the "view hidden files and folders" box, click apply.
Who is your ISP or who is the provider of your email address?

aceshigh73
06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
If you have a "local PST file" and you didnt back it up (and you use POP3 email) your emails are gone....
If you have a mail server and use "Exchange" (doubtful) for your business, then they are saved on your server somewhere (your business server if you have one!)

Surfer
06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
You can't view folders like "local settings" until you do the following steps. When your in Winodws Explorer Click on "tools" on the top of the page, then go down to "folder Options", then click on the "view" tab, Go half way down the page and put a dot in the "view hidden files and folders" box, click apply.
Who is your ISP or who is the provider of your email address?I'm so confused...if Windows Explorer is the normal desktop view, everytime I click it it says WE has now closed and I have to restart.

As far as ISP, I have bellsouth at my house, then office has a different network, and my email is setup with my parent company I believe located in Houston.

God I hate computers.

Surfer
06-26-2007, 12:51 PM
If you have a "local PST file" and you didnt back it up (and you use POP3 email) your emails are gone....
If you have a mail server and use "Exchange" (doubtful) for your business, then they are saved on your server somewhere (your business server if you have one!)I'm gonna kill Bill Gates, Microsoft told me I would be fine with a POP3 email account like I have. That once I redid the computer emails would still be there.

Oh this is f@#$%ing great, I don't know what I'm going to do as a ton of business emails were there, along with full deals and scenarios for Commercial to follow up on that now I don't have the contact info for. There were ton of request from people applying on my websites. This friggen sucks....

07SteedaQ335
06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Relax my pimp lover! LOL j/k

I just did a data recovery for a friend who formatted his drive that contained his recent wedding pictures.

PM me I'll send you a link to download a recovery tool and walk you through it so we don't make this thread 20 pages long.

Question is though were you using outlook express? outlook 2003, or outlook 2007?

aceshigh73
06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Surf,

If you have a parent company, do they store your email? Why dont you call them and ask....
Also, sometimes, POP3 leaves a copy on the server even after you download them to your PC... maybe you have that setting checked? (But then they would download once you "popped" your email...)

Sorry your having so much trouble man..... Sometimes things are better left to pros (and Im not talking about MS support lines)....

bossboy
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
There is no possibly way that Microsoft can know if your pop3 server stores the emails on the server or not.
End of story....every email server or service is configured differently.

My ISP does NOT store emails on the server. SO I am required to backup my emails from my local machine.

My WORK however stores all emails on the server. So I can reformat to my hearts content and still have all my email saved.

Surfer
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
There is no possibly way that Microsoft can know if your pop3 server stores the emails on the server or not.
End of story....every email server or service is configured differently.

My ISP does NOT store emails on the server. SO I am required to backup my emails from my local machine.

My WORK however stores all emails on the server. So I can reformat to my hearts content and still have all my email saved.I'm a finance guy, not a tech guy, computers piss me off even though I can generally fix most issues. Never had this happen before though. However now I have another issue, that stupid Dr. Watson debugger that is giving people issues with Windows, now I'm having that issue and can't even search/scan the hardrive for pst files, and can't even right click on the desktop or the computer sorta freezes with that Debugger message. No virus or anything, checked with CWS, found nothing as well, I posted the data log on another forum, hoping that helps:(

and ###, my cat just took my towel and started humping it, never seen a cat hump LOL, I didn't know a de-balled kitty would hump... :D

Jimmie
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
No kitty, I said it took a dump.

Surfer
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
No kitty, I said it took a dump.ya lost me there lol? When I get these other issues fixed I'll finish transfering the files over and send the cable back, I can't do anything now with this Dr Watson error popping up, its not a virus, its an issue with Microsoft, they've had this glitch for years now and everyone seems to still be kinda stummped on how to fix it.

Jimmie
06-27-2007, 12:11 AM
No rush on the cable Surfer. I just hope you get it fixed. I'll keep my fingers crossed again. What's this "Dr Watson"? Is that a Microsoft program?

07SteedaQ335
06-27-2007, 05:24 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/3teers/1172178411041.jpg