PDA

View Full Version : Going to a pro to learn

Pages : [1] 2

Coopers ST
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Question for you pros. We have one detailer in town who is extremely good. The company I work for takes the work trucks there so I have seen his work and always impressed. My question is, would a guy like that teach? I am sure he wants me to take my car to him and if he taught me I wouldn't. Would it offend you as a pro if someone asked you to teach them? I of course would pay, and use my car and my tools. What would you charge? The going rate for a detail? Am I crazy to think this?

Thanks for any insight.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Question for you pros. We have one detailer in town who is extremely good. The company I work for takes the work trucks there so I have seen his work and always impressed. My question is, would a guy like that teach? I am sure he wants me to take my car to him and if he taught me I wouldn't. Would it offend you as a pro if someone asked you to teach them? I of course would pay, and use my car and my tools. What would you charge? The going rate for a detail? Am I crazy to think this?

Thanks for any insight.

It never hurts to simply ask.

I recommend taking a trip to Stuart, FL for AG's class, meeting Mike, testing out a bunch of different products, machines and tools. It is really a great experience, the hands on approach and ability to see and try tons of products is well worth it. It also doesn't hurt that Mike always has great cars to work on.

Here is my experience/review of the class from last year: Mike Phillip's Detailing Boot Camp Experience & Review (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/mike-phillipss-detailing-boot-camp-experience/)

It's worth every penny.

HateSwirls
11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
It wouldn't bother me, in fact right now I have a"student", a female, I've been working with her for about six months now, she's doing very well.
She did a full correction on her car and with great results.
Maybe he'd do the same and help you, just ask him ,won't hurt.

Dellinger
11-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Coopers,

My advice would be to ask.

It is AMAZING how the professional detailing community works. I've been involved with quite a few different professions in my first decade of work history and NONE of them compare to the genuine amiability of professional detailers.

I've never been involved with a profession that is so open, forthright, and willing to help a detailer just a few minutes away (yes, even a direct competitor!)

I find it to be customary in making your 'need for training' known... such as using the training to start the business or just for peace of mind when you are correcting your own vehicle. I feel that builds repoire immediately... especially when looking to start a detailing business.

But, you gotta ask, especially if you want to learn in an expedited manner. Personally speaking, it has been absolutely worth it and the resources expended to acquire knowledge in this manner.

Best regards,
-Dellinger

Wheelzntoys
11-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm not a professional, but glad to offer new ones to try my machine and polishes and waxes.

He might be the same.

hernandez.art13
11-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah just ask, worst he can say is no. I always enjoy learning and I also have the privilege of living 30mins away from Meguiar's so I get to enjoy of going there and learning new techniques. Also since I am working at a body shop. I get to practice the techniques daily.

A2D Signature
11-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Learning hands on with someone to stop you immediately when you are going off course and show you what right looks like is invaluable and will help you learn a lot faster. Criticism from the teacher will come. So, remember to be open to constructive criticism. Its all to your benefit :)

VP Mark
11-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I would be glad to teach and give advice to pretty much anyone, but if someone who was going to be a direct competitor came to be wanting training I would have to either charge him a good amount of money or decline.

I love helping people, but business is business.

Coopers ST
11-29-2013, 09:53 PM
I would not be a competitor, just want to do my own cars and learn how to use my new machine.

BlkHemiLTD
11-29-2013, 10:01 PM
If this is because you want to start your own business I would look into Renny Doyle's program. If it's just for your personal knowledge then yeah I go the route of just asking, worse is he says no and you learn on your own anyway! The Autogeek classes always seem like a hit as well I would love to make it to one sometime myself!

Dellinger
11-29-2013, 10:52 PM
I would be glad to teach and give advice to pretty much anyone, but if someone who was going to be a direct competitor came to be wanting training I would have to either charge him a good amount of money or decline.

I love helping people, but business is business.

This is why I mentioned that said person seeking training should state his/ her reason for "...why they seek training."

When you are upfront with your intentions, it seems to put everyone (the trainer and trainee) at ease. At least it seemed to for me.

-Dellinger

Detailing by M
12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Give me money to teach you? Any Detailer will do this

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing ;) or...

Coopers ST
12-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Give me money to teach you? Any Detailer will do this

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing ;) or...

So what would you charge?

hernandez.art13
12-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I detail for a body shop and I also detail for my business. I'll show you what I know...

All for free too :xyxthumbs:

PacificAutoFilm
12-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Much easier to just get a part time job at a detail shop.

Get paid a little while learning!