PDA

View Full Version : New Car Detailing

crazy1
06-26-2007, 08:35 AM
I have just purchased a new Toyota Tundra and will like some advise on how to keep it looking brand new. Want products work the best for a Show Car Shine.I really need all informaiton that can be provided. Examples: How to clean the dash and protect it, the correct products to use to wash the outside. etc... Thanks for the forum and the help. Everyone have a good day.

klumzypinoy
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Welcome to AG! When I first started out, I looked at this Detailing Facts and Tips: How-to Guides from the Car Care Experts at AutoGeek (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html). Just start by looking at the wash and drying tips, n then look at whatever you're interested in :D

Truls
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Welcome to AGol

My suggestion would be:

Washing the car is the most important part to keep those swirls away so imo dont cut any corners when washing.

Use a FoamGun with a good shampoo (DP extrem foam) and put that on the car, let it sit some min and then hose the car down well with HP washer, fill the GritGuard 2/3 with water, have some shampo in there and then fill up the last 1/3. Put your mitt in the GG and let it soak just a min. start on topp and work your way down, when done washing, hose the car again and dry it with the Guzzler

Some like washing the wheels first others after. The P21s wheel gel cleans well without any acid in it, and with the EZ brush its a breeze to wash between the spokes and the bakside if the rims. Black ShMitt is also great.

Car wash:

-Foam Gun with feks DP, DG, Poorboys
-GritGuard
-ShMitt wash mitt/sheepskin mitt
-Poorboys SS&S or DuraGloss 901
-Guzzler to dry

Wheels:

-P21s wheel gel
-EZ wheel brush
-Black ShMitt

Polish/protection:

-DuraGloss 101 (protection) easy by hand on/off
-DuraGloss 105 (protection) easy by hand on/off
-Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (looks) easy by hand on/off

Some good Cobra MFs to make polish/wax removal easy

Some good QD after washing:

Alt DuraGloss AquaWax, Pinnacle crystal mist

Pictures on AGol after and everybody is happy.......:)

Jimmie
06-26-2007, 04:55 PM
:iagree: with the guys above. Also, here's something that I still do: Select "shop by brand"in the left menu-scroll down, select a brand, select with mouse click-scroll down, select a product, select with mouse click-read the narrative with each product that you're considering or hear about on here.

budman3
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Clay clay clay!!! Truls covered everything pretty well except for CLAY!!!! lol now that I've got that out of my system.... read up on proper washing and drying techniques to minimize swirling and don't be afraid to wax or seal too much. Congrats on your new purchase.

Truls
06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Oooops, a bummer, yes forgott about clay, thanks budman.

Ivan Rajic
06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Don't mean to jack the thread, but I have a similar question... a potential client has a brand new 997 and I'm wondering if it's safe to polish and/or wax it yet.

I'm assuming paint is cured enough to apply waxes, clay, etc. but is it safe for polishing.

Thanks

Truls
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
The paint is def over the curing time (ca 1 month) so i dont see any problems claying/waxing that car.

A polish or a cleaner isnt any problems using on a "fresh cured" paint..

As with everything applyed on a car; if your not sure, do a test spot first.

DanielSwe
06-26-2007, 10:51 PM
From my experience you can surely polish a new paint but it doesn't behave like it will do a year later. Most of the time you will get away with polishing without any problems, though.

TOGWT
06-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Make sure there is no Cosmoline on the paint surface (P-cars still use it while its being shipped) as it will affect your polish (in a bad way)

The paint, like all new cars was cured in a drying oven at approx 300 degrees so it was 'protection ready' even before it left the assembly plant. If you need to polish out the dealer installed swirls (usually a free extra) you can also do that now

klumzypinoy
06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Make sure there is no Cosmoline on the paint surface (P-cars still use it while its being shipped) as it will affect your polish (in a bad way)

The paint, like all new cars was cured in a drying oven at approx 300 degrees so it was 'protection ready' even before it left the assembly plant. If you need to polish out the dealer installed swirls (usually a free extra) you can also do that now

LOL @ free extra swirls, it SUCKS though.