PDA

View Full Version : IronX did I do something wrong??

M Porter
11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi I am wondering if I could have done something different. The truck is used for pulling a trailer, which explains the build up of brake dust. It took me four applications of IronX before the truck was decontaminated. Obviously it was a costly procedure and luckily the customer was not hesitant to pay.
On each application, the IronX was left to dwell for 10 minutes, agitated, then the vehicle was washed and dried.
The first picture shows the 1st and 2nd application and the second pic shows 3rd and 4th application.Sorry for the quality of the pictures.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

ken tuep
11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I've had to reapply on badly contaminated vehicles before. Did you clay bar before or after? Sometimes I will clay before using iron-x. It removes a lot of the contamination before using the iron-x, so the iron-x is only removing what the claybar didn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

M Porter
11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I clayed after the applications. I know the owner personally, but I am concerned that there could be an issue with others in the future. Due to the amount of IronX used, I doubt that someone else would appreciate the amount of cost and work involved.
Mike

PiPUK
11-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Normally it would not take that amount of product but it is not beyond possibility. Make sure you have the surface well cleaned before you start and just keep going until it is done. Most of the time, a single hit should do it - there really isn't much you can do wrong.

M Porter
11-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Before applying IronX I always give the vehicle a good wash. To cut down on the amount of product used, I will do as suggested and clay before instead of after. Thanks.

Avi@CarPro
11-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Clay before is suggested as above
also if you washed or rinsed the car before, spray the ironx on dry surface, so water wont dilute it more after spray.
beside that, the car looks really long time contaminated, lots of irons on it, i think the customer knew how bad was the situation before :xyxthumbs:

ski2
11-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Suggestions from Corey at CarPro:

C.-If there is an inordinate amount of tree sap, tar, other organic material, wax, or sealants on the vehicle I recommend you strip them first with TarX so Iron X can attack the ferrous particles without any interference. This is not required but is how I like to do it for best results.
D.-For best results apply to a mostly dry surface. A few drops of water is ok.
1.-Shake the bottle.
2.-You can cover the surface with Iron X by spraying it everywhere but that can be wasteful. I recommend that you spray as needed and spread it with a small sponge or applicator to cover the entire surface. You may also consider using an atomizer type spray bottle or HVLP gun. In any case evenly cover the surfaces you wish to decontaminate. The product is strong so you don’t have to be wasteful. Just make sure it contacts the entire surface.

Note the bolded sentence---I've been using this technique of spreading the IronX with a small sponge and it has worked well and I use much less product.

geekdout
11-29-2013, 05:03 AM
If I am working on a area that is heavily contaminated I will use the Iron X paste. Especially on vertical panels the paste will cling to the panel giving it so much more time to work. I have never had to reapply the paste more then twice to any one area that I have worked on.

M Porter
11-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding. Since doing that truck, I have started using a sponge to spread the product. In the future I will adapt a number of the suggested I have received.