PDA

View Full Version : My First Time Polishing and Waxing.

mrclean
11-25-2013, 04:59 PM
hello everyone, I've been lucky enough to find this great site! i came across it when i was doing some good ol' google searching on how to remove scratches on paint. see the thing is, my mom owns a 2004 sequoia.. and it has its soldier marks.

exhibit A

that's the front driver side fender. it had some white paint rubbed into it.

exhibit B
this is the right rear side of the suv. ouch.

and this is how it looked after it was just washed

like i said, i did my little researched and alot of youtubin'. mike phillips, thank you very much sir. you have a way of teaching that really makes it easy to understand! so after watching and reading i invested some money on my first autogeek package.. and this is what i got for the job

32 oz. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish i used this to polish with a blue pad.

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, seems like everyone suggested it so i went with it.. plus it was in my budget

128 oz. Meguiar's D170 Hyper Dressing used this for the wheels dressing and for the vinyl in the interior.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge since im a newbie i figured this was a safe bet and afordable incase i droped it!

32 oz. Optimum Car Wash very awesome stuff here.

32 oz. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax i used this to lubricate the nanoskin scrub, used it on the windows too.
plus im planning on using it later on as a no rinse wash to maintain the cars in good shape.

11 oz. Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax i was pretty impressed with the final result this gave me on both of the cars i used this on.. im sure theres superior waxes out there, but i wanted to start of with meguiars, since its been known to be a good brand. im confused with all of these brands out there..

Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner PLUS Combo Pack
i used this everywhere.. but mainly in the interior's upholstery.. and vinyl. i also used it on the leather. very powerfull stuff.

AND lastly i used Meguair's 105 to cut.

after hours, and hours and more hours..:buffing::buffing::buffing::buffing::buffin g::buffing:. damn no one told me an suv would take HOURS! but hey, in the en i finished it and its awesome to see the results... and it was more personal thing to me becuase its my mother's car and she was really impressed with the results.

this is the AFTER picture of thr drivers side fender that had that paint rubbed onto it
i used a wool pad first, and it took it mostly off, than i cut with the yellow pad, and polished with 205 and a blue pad

AFTER picture of the rear right side

and the final AFTER full picture

well there it is.. with out the help of all of you guys on here i wouldnt have done it. let me know what you guys think!

saints
11-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Wow that looks amazing man! Were you able to get that scratch on the right rear quater panel to disappear? I can't tell from the pic.

Rockeey
11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
You picked an awfully large vehicle to start with but at the same time, at least you had a lot of surface to practice on. Looks great :xyxthumbs:

mrclean
11-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Wow that looks amazing man! Were you able to get that scratch on the right rear quater panel to disappear? I can't tell from the pic.

thanks alot! yes, i was able to get it off prepped it with the lamb wool pad than cut with yellow pad and polished and wax after... perhaps this is a better shot of the rear

mrclean
11-25-2013, 08:11 PM
You picked an awfully large vehicle to start with but at the same time, at least you had a lot of surface to practice on. Looks great :xyxthumbs:

i actually did a polish and waxed on my honda accord first..i didnt take as many pics for the before... i was so eager to start.. but this is pretty much the condition that it was in.. light scratches and swirls

after23249

after 23250

after23251

and many thanks for the thumbs up!