PDA

View Full Version : maybe im doing something wrong???

brondondolon
11-25-2013, 01:43 PM
So i got some CG blacklight and XXX wax. Yesterday i washed my truck and did a little test spot with both products to see how it looked compared to my cheap megs black wax. So i put the blacklight on in a test spot let sit for 20 min wiped off then applied the XXX. Once the wax sat for 30 min i wiped off and noticed that there were scratches in the clear coat. Now since i couldnt find any foam pads at walmart, autozone, oriley, and napa i used the only thing i had which was a MF wax applicator. I assume these are not typical results so is there something i did wrong or should i wait for my foam pads that should be here next monday? I dont know if this makes a difference but it was pretty cold outside. It was prob 45 degrees when i was washing it and id imagine the truck was even colder then the air temp after being sprayed with a hose of cold water. I had no choice to wash it as it was covered in road salt.

2shiny
11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
maybe you pushed to hard on the applicator or when buffing? go slow and without any pressure to buff out.
foam or mf applicators won't make much difference when used correctly. just matter of personal preference

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Was there any polishing accomplished before hand?

Dr_Pain
11-25-2013, 02:45 PM
CG Blacklight does have some fillers so it should have improved the scratches IF they were there before you started. Did you inspect your MF wax applicator? (I mean really looked at it?) I have had a similar experience and found some almost microscopic wound splinters in the weave of my MF applicator. It was a pain but found it in time that I did not have to buff but one panel. They have been a no-no since then!

brondondolon
11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
thanks guys yeah i initially thought maybe there was something in it but i couldnt find anything. I guess there could be something deep below the weave of fibers. I did use a little pressure maybe that was it. I didnt polish before i applied it. Is it necessary to polish prior to applying it?

Dr_Pain
11-25-2013, 03:23 PM
It is not necessary to polish but to have a contaminant free surface is a plus. I would have approached your project by

1) Wash
2) Baggie test
3) Claying if needed
4) IPA wipedown
5) Inspection for need of polishing
6) Polishing (if needed)
7) IPA wipedown
8) LSP

11-25-2013, 06:50 PM
thanks guys yeah i initially thought maybe there was something in it but i couldnt find anything. I guess there could be something deep below the weave of fibers. I did use a little pressure maybe that was it. I didnt polish before i applied it. Is it necessary to polish prior to applying it?

You don't have to polish, it really depends on the condition of the paint. Why put sealer over the top of swirls??? One note about CG Blacklight, should wait at least 24 hours before applying a wax.

mwoolfso
11-25-2013, 07:03 PM
did you clay before blacklight? if not............

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2