PDA

View Full Version : Griot's 6" DA: info on wrench for backing plate?

SR99
11-25-2013, 09:51 AM
While doing some cleanup last week, it seems the backing plate wrench for my GG6 accidentally ended up in one of the boxes I threw out.

Doesn't seem you can get a replacement, and I need it fairly quickly anyway, so could someone be so kind as to measure the thickness of the wrench with some calipers?

And I believe the size is for a 1/2" nut, is that correct? (or is it metric?)

Going to try and make one out of some flat aluminum bar stock or maybe sheet steel if they have the right thickness at the local big box store.

Pureshine
11-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Have you called Griots and see if they can send you one.

SR99
11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Have you called Griots and see if they can send you one.

I haven't. I suppose I could, but with shipping and all, it seems more practical to try and make one. Plus I'm in need of it very soon, and with this week being a holiday it would be over a week away if I got one shipped.

KS_Detailing
11-25-2013, 10:14 AM
You can use the PC wrench on the GG6. I just went down to the garage and tried it out

Porter Cable 7424 Flat Wrench (http://www.autogeek.net/7424w.html)

SR99
11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Totally unexpected, I called and they said they would just send me one. That's going above and beyond as far as customer service goes!

Thanks for nudging me in that direction, Pureshine.

In the interim, through some trial and error, .090" thickness is about as thick as it can be to clear the narrow opening, so I'll kludge up something in the interim from some scraps I have.

Klasse Act
11-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Glad they took care of you SR99 but it doesn't surprise me one bit! Been dealing with Griot's since 2005 and they have always exceeded my expectations, they've even BS'd with me on the phone about cars and they knew what they were talking about too, real car people manning the phones, awesome!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Russ57
11-25-2013, 12:58 PM
You can try a "tappet" wrench. They are made thin for adjusting valves. Also the ones made for adjusting bearing on bike wheels. Either will be too good in quality and cost too much....but if you must have it now...

swanicyouth
11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
There is a way you can jamb a thin screwdriver in there just right to remove the BP while holding the spindle. I've done it with the PC when I lost my wrench. It doesn't damage anything.

davidg
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
If your town has a nice bicycle shop give them a try. Some very thin wrenches from Park Tools for getting at the wheel between the hub and the frame. Not sure if they go that small (15mm IIRC).

drbll
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
If your town has a nice bicycle shop give them a try. Some very thin wrenches from Park Tools for getting at the wheel between the hub and the frame. Not sure if they go that small (15mm IIRC).

:iagree:

I have used my cone wrenches (17mm) to help remove stubborn Hyundai floor mat clips too!

saints
11-25-2013, 07:07 PM
If you have a Harbor Freight close by and are in need of a cheap HVLP spray gun they come with a wrench that will work. I'm sure you could find one at Home Depot or Lowes as well. You could also return it if you didn't need it.

Pureshine
11-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Totally unexpected, I called and they said they would just send me one. That's going above and beyond as far as customer service goes!

Thanks for nudging me in that direction, Pureshine.

In the interim, through some trial and error, .090" thickness is about as thick as it can be to clear the narrow opening, so I'll kludge up something in the interim from some scraps I have.

Glad they took care of you and I found an extra one today
And was going to send it too you :)