PDA

View Full Version : Zaino "nubbys"?

Pages : [1] 2

flycaster
11-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Been using Zaino for the last 13 years, but this is the first time I'm asking the question: Used ZAIO, buffed off, the used Z2. Let the Z2 dry and buffed off. Just about all areas of the car are smooth, but there are several areas that feel non-smooth/nubby. Z6 and a little rubbing with Z2 didn't remove the nubbs. This has happened before, but I've paid no attention to it. But now I'd like ti find out what went wrong.

RTexasF
11-24-2013, 03:42 PM
When was the last time you clayed the finish? Sounds like surface contamination to me. The baggie test will confirm it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html

flycaster
11-24-2013, 04:24 PM
New car, no need to clay. Also, I might add, this nubby/roughish feeling has happened before on my other cars. The rough feeling is has a rubbery feeling to it. I have the thought that it has something to with curing time???

Radarryan
11-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, just because it is new doesn't mean it doesn't need to be clayed. Rather, new cars almost universally need to be clayed because of rail dust, environmental fallout, etc. that has embedded itself during manufacture, transport and storage of the vehicle on the dealer lot.

The only difference is sometimes the dealer will "prepare" the car before the customer takes delivery. If that is the case, they will clay the car so you don't have to. Usually, though, this only happens at higher-end dealerships.

Klasse Act
11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
New car, no need to clay. Also, I might add, this nubby/roughish feeling has happened before on my other cars. The rough feeling is has a rubbery feeling to it. I have the thought that it has something to with curing time???

Unless you saw the car come off of the car hauler you have no idea how long it sat on the lot, so "new" means nothing, LOL!

How could cure time make your cars paint feel rough in areas, don't get that one.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

ryanbabz71
11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Run the Baggie test to see if the car needs to be clayed. I would put $ on it that it needs to be clayed.

Ryan

flycaster
11-24-2013, 11:40 PM
As stated before, this nubby, rubberish feeling has occurred on other cars, at different times and in different ares; whereas the unaffected areas are smooth. Although claying would probably remove whatever is causing the problem, I will first try ZAIO in the affected areas. If this doesn't work (almost quite sure it will), I'll then try some compound. After removal, will do Z2 in the areas...making sure that applicator is clean and things have adequate time to dry.

Radarryan
11-25-2013, 12:41 AM
As stated before, this nubby, rubberish feeling has occurred on other cars, at different times and in different ares; whereas the unaffected areas are smooth. Although claying would probably remove whatever is causing the problem, I will first try ZAIO in the affected areas. If this doesn't work (almost quite sure it will), I'll then try some compound. After removal, will do Z2 in the areas...making sure that applicator is clean and things have adequate time to dry.

I'm a little confused. Claying is the least aggressive option in this case. Certainly a lot less aggressive compared to a compound. The worst case scenario when using the clay bar is if you have really soft black paint and it produces marring. In that case, a finishing polish would be all that you would need to remove the marring and produce a brilliant finish.

Although claying would probably remove whatever is causing the problem
If that is the case, then why don't you try it first. A polish, such as Zaino AIO, would not remove the contaminants as effectively as a clay bar. Also, if Zaino AIO is a chemical cleanser and not an abrasive polish, then it may not remove the embedded contaminants (I have no experience with Zaino products, that's why I can't comment on the makeup of the product).

If you don't have a clay bar, they are available over-the-counter from any automotive or big-box superstore (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). I would pick one up - you never know when it may come in handy. As you've said, this has happened before, in different areas, on different cars. Most would agree that unless your car is coated (which yours is not if you have Zaino products on it), then you should be claying at least once a year.

If you wanted to stay within one brand, I'm sure Zaino sells clay, but truth be told, they're pretty much the exact same - the only difference is the aggressiveness, or "grade". The OTC clay is mild, however you can probably get aggressive clay if you needed it. The only downside to aggressive clay is a polishing step is most likely needed due to clay-induced marring. If you need something milder, Sonus and Pinnacle have the two gentlest clays available. I have experience with Sonus clay (when Meguiar's OTC clay marred, the Sonus did not!)

Remember, you don't want to polish or compound if you don't need to - the clear coat on your car is finite, and you'll want as much as possible there so you can polish away scratches for years to come. In my opinion, this is not a case where you would want to break out the compound. Check out the threads on claying and the educational material on above-surface embedded contaminants. There is great information to be learned!

Happy detailing!

StangFan25
11-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Zaino does indeed sell their own clay bars, its what i use. I really don't understand why the OP doesn't want to clay, and would rather compound. Seems backwards to me.

Klasse Act
11-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Zaino does indeed sell their own clay bars, its what i use. I really don't understand why the OP doesn't want to clay, and would rather compound. Seems backwards to me.

I agree and even though compounding/polishing would remove the embedded contaminents from the top layer of the paint, you'd be rubbing those contaminents right into the paint while compounding/polishing, so claying eliminates this.

flycaster
11-25-2013, 12:08 PM
I do appreciate the suggestions, but I will now tell you that clay/compound is not the way to go. Again, by belief is that somehow the curing process is involved.

I tried smoothing things out with applying ZAIO again, didn't work. I don't have a claybar and your caution about using compound was followed, but as rubbing alcohol removes Zaino products, I tried some alcohol. Of course, it appeared to worked. Roughish surface became somewhat smoother.

I have just applied ZAIO to the smoothed out area, let it thoroughly
dry and then buffed. After buffing, there were still some rough areas? Nonetheless, I applied Z2. Still rough areas.

Finally, spoke with Sal. He suggested several things to try. First off, used the baggy and determined that the car was full of bits and pieces, but the areas where the roughish/rubbery feeling was were the roughest. I don't have any clay, but did try a little 3M Fine Cut in an area that didn't show (in case I f'kd up). Made things as smooth as glass and no rough area after applying ZAIO/Z2. Sal said that for whatever reasons, there was an area of contaminants, but the Fine Cut didn't remove them, just "sanded" down the area, leveling the contaminants. Of course he recommended claying, as you guys did. I'm a little lazy now after applying ZAIO/Z2 to the car (old age, ya' know), so I'll wait a while until I clay the car and Zaino again. However, this is interesting to note, Sal said that claying will not remove the Zaino and that after claying all I have to do is the Z2 (ZAIO not necessary for the bonding as it is already on board)...always thought it did.

While I had Sal on the phone, I asked him a couple of other questions:
1. Will ZAIO wear down the clear coat? He said that it only contains a little bit of rouge and unless used every day, it won't harm the car.
2. How often should it be used by home consumer with a garaged car? He said twice a year Zaino/Z2 or Z5 would be enough.

Klasse Act
11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Hey Fly, are you unsure about claying or something? Worried it will remove a layer of LSP? Something else? Just curious because claying takes care of this problem. You could also get a Speedy Prep towel or Nano Skin towel, does the same thing but so much easier!

Dr_Pain
11-25-2013, 02:37 PM
You know, this thread got me completely confused. First off I am confused because the OP is asking about and marketing a product that PBMG does not carry. I will concede that the marketing is not in Zaino's favor, so this is not exactly a sticky point for me, but the second more concerning point is that the information contributed is basic detailing 101, and despite the repeated qualified answers the OP is still bucking!?!.... until he got Sal on the phone. Why he did not start there confuses me!?!

I've used Zaino products for 10+ years and spoke with Sal quite a few times about products and will say that he knows his stuff, however I am confused that the OP is reporting that this detailing giant is stating that his product will survive claying. I beg to differ (from personal experience)! But who am I to challenge this statement? One thing I will share, which can be found on his own website, is the fact that his products have a short shelf life. SO, if you are having difficulties with the product I would say maybe you have exceeded its shelf life, gotten a bad batch or have a technical mishap. Which brings me back to: "Why you did not start with getting help from Zaino?"

In all though: (Detailing 101)

1) New, newer, old vehicle etc... they ALL need to be checked for contaminants PERIOD!. If they don't pass the "baggie test" then you need to clay. I personally would never apply a protection layer on a sub-standard substrate.
2) Always mark your purchase dates on your products and refer back to the manufacturer shelf life. To mark the purchase date does not give you an exact life expectancy (since you don't know how many weeks or months it stayed on the retailer's shelves).
3) If something goes wrong and the expected results are not met, then evaluate the paint, product, technique... something went wrong!

flycaster
11-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Bottom line guys:
Truth be told, although just about everyone recommended claying to me, it just didn't make sense to me (obviously, I'm no professional) in that the roughish areas were only in a certain small area and I've had the same thing occur in other cars...so I was set on thinking the problem had something to do with curing. However, the small compound test I ran, did convince me that there was an "unusually" large deposit of some kind of contaminant in one area that reacted badly with the ZAIO. I will be claying at a later date. Will probably ZAIO again and then Z2 or Z5 followed by ZCS and I should be good for at least 6 months. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

StangFan25
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
You know, this thread got me completely confused. First off I am confused because the OP is asking about and marketing a product that PBMG does not carry. I will concede that the marketing is not in Zaino's favor, so this is not exactly a sticky point for me

Could you please direct me to the area where is states only products PBMG carry can be discussed?

What does it matter what products he's using? This is a detailer forum, Zaino is a detailer product. And who cares if hes touting it or knocking it?

Again, please show me where the rules state only PBMG carried products are allowed to be discussed or "marketed".