PDA

View Full Version : Applying tire shine: pic and video!!!

Pages : [1] 2

shadybreal
06-25-2007, 08:06 PM
I've recently started apply my tire dressing (hyper dressing) in whole new way. I've used foam, mf, and cotton terry towels w/ good results but I think I found my favorite application method. I traded a few wash and vacs for a air compressor for blowing out vents and to aid in drying, but know I've found another use for it. I went to Harbor Freight and got a gravity feed paint gun and diluted Megs Hyper Dressing 2 to 1 and filled the canister w/ it. After I got the settings dialed in just right it works great. It puts on a very light coat that doesn't sling and leaves a really nice gloss. I like a somewhat shiny look for my tires, but those of you who like more of matte finish can dilute 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. Here is my process:

After washing vehicle I take a cheap black kitchen towel (black hides anything the degreaser may of missed) and dry the tires to get rid of standing water.

I then spray a light coat around the tires in a clockwise motion.

After spraying I wipe off any overspray off the rims, which usually isn't much.

Here is a video: It normally does take this long, but I forgot to plug the compressor in and started losing pressure.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/th_DSCN0748.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/?action=view&current=DSCN0748.flv)

Finished product 2 or 3 minutes later:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/DSCN0749.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

budman3
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Now thats some good thinking! Thanks for the idea. I would have never thought of anything like that. HMM I wonder how a spray wax in there would do :).

MrBenz
06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
That's Ingenious!!! awesome!

Jimmie
06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
I love seeing new tools and tricks you folks invent. Neat-neat-neat.

Z06-Goose
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing those ideas and the video. Tires look great!

shadybreal
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Now thats some good thinking! Thanks for the idea. I would have never thought of anything like that. HMM I wonder how a spray wax in there would do :).

Funny you should ask! I've got another smaller detail gun I use for spray wax application. It works very well. This method helps to not use as much product. I've used the smaller one w/ a few different spray waxes, but the ones w/ thicker consistencies seem to work better. I'll try to post it tomorrow night. Thanks!

Dust2Glory
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
hey hey hey in ur video stash, the one with the foam gun... where'd u get it???

Al-53
06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Bradley...that's a cool idea....I like it alot...looks efficient.....nice Idea.....

do you get any spray on rims...

Final look ..looks great..nice and even

L

shadybreal
06-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Bradley...that's a cool idea....I like it alot...looks efficient.....nice Idea.....

do you get any spray on rims...

Final look ..looks great..nice and even

L

I did when I first started using this method, but it was because I had the setting that controls the amount of product open too much and the spray pattern too wide. I know have it set at the narrowest pattern and a lot less product being released. The good thing is that it's water based hyper dressing and if you do get some on the rim it wipes off relatively easy.

BlackCoupe
06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I hope I never have to wash a tire that big, let alone shine it.

Al-53
06-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I did when I first started using this method, but it was because I had the setting that controls the amount of product open too much and the spray pattern too wide. I know have it set at the narrowest pattern and a lot less product being released. The good thing is that it's water based hyper dressing and if you do get some on the rim it wipes off relatively easy.

Maybe you can have a shield made like painters use to cut paint in next to trim ..get one curved made of plastic....

But i really like your method....it gives a nice look....

Al

shadybreal
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Maybe you can have a shield made like painters use to cut paint in next to trim ..get one curved made of plastic....

But i really like your method....it gives a nice look....

Al

I've got one I made of wood, but the overspray is so minimal now I don't bother using it.

Nica
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Sweet...I was thinking of doing the same thing...looks really good, makes dressing tires a breeze.

Thanks for sharing.

Z06-Goose
06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I hope I never have to wash a tire that big, let alone shine it.Oh, you don't know what you're missing! :)

P1et
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
That is one awesome idea!!!