PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat tips, tricks and techniques

Pages : [1] 2 3

hernandez.art13
11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I spent 13 hours correcting my paint. And tomorrow I will be applying Opti Coat on my car. It came out really good. Tomorrow I will be washing the car with Dawn soap then drying it and giving it an IPA wipe down.

I was wondering if there is anything I should do or know before apply Opti Coat.

My questions are: how many dots per se, per panel? And how long is the curing time of Opti Coat. The car will be garaged until Monday when I have to go to work.

My plan was washing and doing an IPA wipe down early in the morning and also applying opti coat after I am done wiping it down.

I washed the car then clayed the car. I then used The Rupes with 105 on buff N shine orange MF cutting pad. I then used M205 with a buff n shine MF polishing pad.

I then used M205 and a red buff n shine waxing pad. (Zero cut) to jewel the paint.

Not very many before pictures. When I get in the zone I just start detailing away. :)

After Pictures

I'll take some sun shots tomorrow. My photographer had to work today :D

Thanks everybody!

Art

Kaban
11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I just recently read here on AGO that using the DAWN dishsoap is actually not recommended before O.C application as it might leave a film on top of the paint that will get in the way of the coating bonding to the paint.

I'd play it safe and just do an APC wash followed by the IPA wipedown.

Kaban
11-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Also as far as applying the O.C

Get the applicator WELL primed as that's the key to a smooth application. After it's primed I'd use several 5-8 drops per panel (door for example) and slightly less drops for smaller panels like fender. When you begin applying it you will know if you need to add more product.

ski2
11-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Don't use DAWN before Opticoat as mentioned by Kaban--an ONR wash after IPA wipe downs will actually make installation of OptiCoat easier. Make sure you get all the polishing oils from 205 off before you apply the OptiCoat.

Rayaz
11-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Hey Art,

I am far from an Opti coat guru, but I've done 6 vehicles now (hobby, not pro). I'd stick with a few ounces of APC in the wash bucket and don't use a wash and gloss shampoo. IPA at 15% and right on to it. You will feel it start to drag when you need to add a few drops. USE GOOD LIGHT!

This stuff is actually hard to screw up. My first vehicle took so little product that I panicked and called Optimum. Dr. G called me back and said it was fine because thicker serves no useful purpose. As long as it covered, there is no benefit with a thick coat. I've never had a high spot and I suspect you'd have to put it on pretty thick to get one. After it flashes, a light dust with the micro fiber (new) and on to the next panel. It doesn't fully harden for up to 40 days but you can wash it in 7 days. I'm saving that factoid for Jeopardy if I ever get on there. "Alex, I'll take obscure detailing facts for $100".

I would try to keep it dry as long as possible before the 7 day wash but you should be fine driving the next day. I've heard of people driving in the rain within the first day with no adverse effects but I'm easily frightened of failure so I never did that.

You're going to love this stuff.

hernandez.art13
11-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys,

Off topic: after I finished I showered and came to my uncles house (body shop manager) and saw the Pacquiao Fight :)

Back on topic:
I'll listen to your guys advice and avoid the Dawn wash. I have Optimum Car Wash and Meguiar's Gold Class soap. Which one do you guys recommend using? I'll do the the few drops of APC like you guys suggested. I then will do an IPA wipe down.

Do you guys recommend opti coating the whole car and then looking for high spots?

Pureshine
11-24-2013, 01:13 AM
I use a foam block applicator with microfiber suede square and do two thin lines down the block one first section. Then after that I do 3 drops . Just make sure you get even coverage and wipe away any high spots before they drop all the way.

hernandez.art13
11-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Well I have is the yellow foam pads that come with Opti Coat. I just decided to take the plunge and finally do a paint correction on my car. If not I'd always find an excuse of why I haven't detailed the paint.

So I can learn and gain more experience. How many dots of Opti Coat should I use to prime the yellow applicator pad?

Kaban
11-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Well I have is the yellow foam pads that come with Opti Coat. I just decided to take the plunge and finally do a paint correction on my car. If not I'd always find an excuse of why I haven't detailed the paint.

So I can learn and gain more experience. How many dots of Opti Coat should I use to prime the yellow applicator pad?

I wouldn't prime the WHOLE yellow pad at that would require wasting too much product. Just prime 1/4-1/2 of the pad and the other half you will be holding on to with your hand to hold the applicator. I've only used the Carpro block with suede blue towels as mentioned by another member, so it's hard to say how many drops you need to use with the traditional yellow applicator.

Just get it primed initially and after its got product in it, it should not need a whole lot more per section.

Pureshine
11-24-2013, 01:35 AM

Make a thin x on the yellow foam pad for the first section and then 3 drops.

hernandez.art13
11-24-2013, 01:44 AM

Thank you Todd, after the yellow pad is primed and used on another panel.
Would the 3 dots cover the whole fender or would the 3 dots cover half the fender?

Just trying to figure out how big of a section I should be applying the 3 dots to.

Hopefully that will be my final question :)

Pureshine
11-24-2013, 01:47 AM

Thank you Todd, after the yellow pad is primed and used on another panel.
Would the 3 dots cover the whole fender or would the 3 dots cover half the fender?

Just trying to figure out how big of a section I should be applying the 3 dots to.

Hopefully that will be my final question :)

I do about a 2x2 section at a time with just to make sure I don't miss anything. you want to make sure you have even coverage and you don't miss a spot.

hernandez.art13
11-24-2013, 02:03 AM
I do about a 2x2 section at a time with just to make sure I don't miss anything. you want to make sure you have even coverage and you don't miss a spot.

Sounds good, thanks again...

hernandez.art13
11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Another question guys. Should I use Optimum Car wash or Meguiar's Gold Class.

I still have around 32 oz of optimum car wash in my foam gun. So rather not waste it by dumping it out and can I just put some APC in the foam gun as well?

tuscarora dave
11-24-2013, 10:26 AM
I've read claims of Optimum products having some sort of synergistic compatibility as where an Opti-Coat application is concerned so it would make more sense to me that the Optimum Car Wash would be the better choice.

Also, that yellow applicator pad that comes with the product will tend to be very grabby against the paint as you swipe it across the paint during your application. I've used it many times and have found that short back and forth swipes of the applicator (no more than 6 inches or so) work best. Trying to do 12-20 inch long swipes tends to pop the applicator from your fingers as you attempt the swipe and the applicator pad ends up on the garage floor.

Hold on to the edge of the applicator tightly and work in small areas overlapping each area as you work, then a quick and light wipe of a MF towel over the entire panel to smooth down any un-flashed product before moving onto the next panel.

I like to draw a small "X" on one half of one side of the applicator with a sharpie then only apply the product directly to the opposite side of the "X" (on the other side of the applicator) that way you don't lose track of where you've been applying the product to the applicator. It is easy to lose track of and you end up with product getting all over your gloves which is just a waste of time and product.

Maybe you'd take a quick read through this http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/72891-wasting-material-via-pm-system-2.html before doing your application. Who knows it could be helpful.