PDA

View Full Version : 105 was working so good then........

HateSwirls
11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I love my 105, I tell you it was needed today on the truck I'm doing, swirls are really bad.
Anyway all was going good with the 105, long work time, wiped off easy then the temp dropped and that was the end of that, it starting like sticking to the paint, at first I thought something was wrong with my DA or the pad needed changing, put a new pad and still the same.
I got to finish step one, luckily is was towards the end of the compounding.

Worked with it most of the day, temp was in the mid 50's, once it got below 50 that was it, I was done. Lol

I read so may post of people having problems with the 105, myself I'm lucky I guess, so next time your having problems it may not have anything to do with the product just the wrong temp or high humidity issues.

I switched to a white pad and 205, no problems with the temperature change. :dblthumb2:
DA is fine:dblthumb2:

VP Mark
11-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately that is one of the reasons I don't use 105 anymore. More often than not I'm detailing in freezing cold or screaming hot temperatures and I prefer products that will work fine no matter what its doing outside.

Some compounds and even polishes are awful to work with when its raining outside and the humidity is high.

Glad you were able to do your detail today. It must have felt good to be "back in the saddle" so to speak. :)

lyodbraun
11-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Good info to know, guess I'll wait till spring to use 105 again..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

HateSwirls
11-23-2013, 06:07 PM
It rained the entire time but that didn't cause any issues.
105 doesn't like cold weather,that's for sure. Lol

OJE thing is certain, the 105 cuts very well:dblthumb2:

Unfortunately that is one of the reasons I don't use 105 anymore. More often than not I'm detailing in freezing cold or screaming hot temperatures and I prefer products that will work fine no matter what its doing outside.

Some compounds and even polishes are awful to work with when its raining outside and the humidity is high.

spence
11-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Glad you were able to do your detail today. It must have felt good to be "back in the saddle" so to speak. :)

What did you switch to. I also have had SERIOUS problems with Meguire's 105 (instant dusting) With 205 at the same time and temp no problems with dusting. I would prefer to stay with a SMAT product but if I have to go with a DAT polish, it is better than something that dusts all over the place. I have tried misting the pad with water, priming the pad with UC.

VP Mark
11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
I use either HD Cut or Wolfgang UBER Compound. The Wolfgang dusts more but finishes much better.

The HD Cut does not dust at all as long as you keep your pad clean. Works well in direct sun also.

BrianMcLeod
11-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I love my 105, I tell you it was needed today on the truck I'm doing, swirls are really bad.
Anyway all was going good with the 105, long work time, wiped off easy then the temp dropped and that was the end of that, it starting like sticking to the paint, at first I thought something was wrong with my DA or the pad needed changing, put a new pad and still the same.
I got to finish step one, luckily is was towards the end of the compounding.

Worked with it most of the day, temp was in the mid 50's, once it got below 50 that was it, I was done. Lol

I read so may post of people having problems with the 105, myself I'm lucky I guess, so next time your having problems it may not have anything to do with the product just the wrong temp or high humidity issues.

I switched to a white pad and 205, no problems with the temperature change. :dblthumb2:
DA is fine:dblthumb2:

That is good to know because I was going to compound a car and I was thinking I might wait it will maybe mess it up! Called the guy and was seeing if it was a good time for him did not answer and saw this post so thanks

Detailing by M
11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
You just need to work slower and use less product.
The actual temp at the pad is hotter then 50 so that goes out the window for me.

I love 105, I've been using it for years, I never have all these problems you people create for yourselves.

Use less product and go slower!

tuscarora dave
11-24-2013, 03:17 PM
The actual temp at the pad is hotter then 50 so that goes out the window for me.

I love 105, I've been using it for years, I never have all these problems you people create for yourselves.

I'm with you on this. When conditions change, a change in process, technique or product amount will allow you to work in any conditions.

I've compounded and polished many cars in sub freezing temps in the winter and during downpours and in a foggy day in the summer.

When Flash told me to choose 1 product and master it's use, I took him seriously and realized that it could be done.

HateSwirls
11-24-2013, 03:25 PM
I switched to CG'S v34.
Very, very close to the same results as 105 but much easier to work with.

What did you switch to. I also have had SERIOUS problems with Meguire's 105 (instant dusting) With 205 at the same time and temp no problems with dusting. I would prefer to stay with a SMAT product but if I have to go with a DAT polish, it is better than something that dusts all over the place. I have tried misting the pad with water, priming the pad with UC.

HateSwirls
11-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Man I tried everything I knew of and nothing worked.
V34 worked out nicely so it didn't slow me down.
The v34 has a really long work time and wipes off as easy as wax. :dblthumb2: