PDA

View Full Version : So... FINALLY getting paid for a detail!!!

Pages : [1] 2

EvolutionDetail
11-23-2013, 04:48 PM
As some of you know, I have been around for this Forum for 2+ years. I did intend to do this as a side job to make some cash, and finally tomorrow, i will be working on a White w/ Silver strip Challenger.....

And there are some questions I need to ask my fellow detailers before i start the job tomorrow.

1. The Silver Strip is a gloss vinyl. (It can be waxed right?)
2. Client requested to shampoo the interior, however i only have a Bissell LGM, and if i do shampoo it. Houston is not getting sun anytime soon. So that is a no go. (What is the BEST way to tackle this?)
3. Any suggestions / advice on CHALLENGERS you have detailed?

Thats all i can think of for now....
More to follow I'm sure.

Thanks fellas!!:buffing:

PS: The guy only request a Wash and Wax pretty much... I am unsure if he wants his car "POLISHED". So worst case scenario, I will be using some Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion prior to waxing.

Flash Gordon
11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
As some of you know, I have been around for this Forum for 2+ years. I did intend to do this as a side job to make some cash, and finally tomorrow, i will be working on a White w/ Silver strip Challenger.....

And there are some questions I need to ask my fellow detailers before i start the job tomorrow.

2. Client requested to shampoo the interior, however i only have a Bissell LGM, and if i do shampoo it. Houston is not getting sun anytime soon. So that is a no go. (What is the BEST way to tackle this?)

More to follow I'm sure.

1. Depends on what wax you are using. Paste Waxes tend to stain trim. Liquid Waxes tend not to. Your best bet is not to get wax on the trim!

2. Spray APC onto the carpets then slightly mist with water. Scrub the rough spots with a stiff brush, then vacum up any remaining water (should be very small amount) after that scrub like a mad man with big thick terry cloth towels.

While you are detailing the exterior; leave the heater on full-blast/floor to speed up the drying process

* Don't lock the keys in the car

** Keep an eye on temp gauge

3. Everyday is a CHALLENGE in this business. Learn to live with it and don't take it so serious

P.S. If he's not paying for a polish don't give him a polish

RFulmer
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
My Mini Cooper had vinyl strips on the hood. I waxed them with all sorts of wax and never had any trouble (Black stripes on white paint).

EvolutionDetail
11-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Hmmm so NO PASTE WAX for the vinyl, regardless if it is gloss or matte?
Owner claims he waxed it with some kind of "White Polymer" in the past.

I plan on using WG Fuzion or Pinnacle Signature as the wax.

2. The guy said he smokes in the car, therefore he wanted a shampoo....
Assuming the challenger is leather seats.... I guess i will go with a mild cleaner and condition it.

PS: Lol makes sense, I just feel bad because he is going to "Autorama" Next week, Oh and i am suppose to clay the entire car as well

hamlyn
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Spot test!!

VP Mark
11-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Congrats on your first detail!!

What do you have available for the interior? Using APC as Flash suggested will certainly work, but I personally prefer something like CG Fabric Clean for carpets.

A lot of things will work. Even Tuff Stuff from Wal-Mart is actually a very versatile product that does a decent job and gives people a very "shampoo'd" look with the foaming action. I don't know if you are doing this mobile but yes, I have had plenty of people sit and watching me during the entire detail to see what I was doing. It is just a part of the business.

If you run into any big issues feel free to give me a call for on the spot advice. I will be working on an Expedition for 8+ hours Monday and will have nothing but my headphones and chemicals to keep me company. :)

Edit: just saw you are doing this tomorrow. I won't have my phone on all day but still feel free to try.

Have fun!

EvolutionDetail
11-23-2013, 06:20 PM

What do you have available for the interior? Using APC as Flash suggested will certainly work, but I personally prefer something like CG Fabric Clean for carpets.

A lot of things will work. Even Tuff Stuff from Wal-Mart is actually a very versatile product that does a decent job and gives people a very "shampoo'd" look with the foaming action. I don't know if you are doing this mobile but yes, I have had plenty of people sit and watching me during the entire detail to see what I was doing. It is just a part of the business.

If you run into any big issues feel free to give me a call for on the spot advice. I will be working on an Expedition for 8+ hours Monday and will have nothing but my headphones and chemicals to keep me company. :)

Edit: just saw you are doing this tomorrow. I won't have my phone on all day but still feel free to try.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input and offer Mark, i will definitely ring u up if anything tomorrow!!
Actually i do have some Tuf Stuff sitting, so maybe i will try that.
As far as Interior products, all i have is the CG Nonsense an Green Clean.
Adams interior detailer and Ultima Shampoo Gel.

I plan on putting a coat of Poorboys White Diamond, then top if with wax.

My biggest concern is what to do with the Vinyl strips, i have never dealt with them before

tuscarora dave
11-23-2013, 06:27 PM

Have fun!
Great advice so far. If you get stuck and can't get Mark on the phone, I'd be glad to help you through any sticky situations. 717-386-8361

Congrats on getting paid finally, that's a nice thing.

EvolutionDetail
11-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks Dave!!

What do u suggest i do with the vinyl strips?

Coach Steve
11-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Have fun!
+1 on the Tuff Stuff. I seldom have to do a "dry" shampoo here in Phoenix but when I do, I grab the TuffStuff. Like Mark said, it works well and it doesn't get the carpet wet - leaves a nice, mild clean scent too. Here's how I use it to get the best results - your method and results may vary.
First, locate any stains or heavily soiled areas. Liberally spray them until you've got a mound of foan approx. 1" high. Let it work for a few minutes then scrup vigorously with a stiff brush. Next spray the remainder of the section until the entire area is white - including the areas you already worked. Let it set for a few minutes then scrub, scrub, scrub. Thoroughly vacuum the section SLOWLY to extract the dirt and residual moisture. Wipe the area with a towel. As suggested above, turn the heater on (floor setting obviously) and within 15 minutes or so, it will be completely dry. One last step I do is I run a clean brush over the areas just to "un-stiffen" the nap/fibers. It will leave the carpet nice and soft.
I'm really glad I don't have to use this method very often. It's so much faster using my modified Rug Doctor upholstery tool! Congrats on your first paid gig! It's just like they tell soldiers when they head into a hot situation: Just remember your training and follow procedure. You've spent 2 years training for this day. you'll do great! be sure and post back to tell us how it went!

Coach

Eric@CherryOnTop
11-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks Dave!!

Tape the edges of them when you run a machine over the paint adjacent to them so you don't lift them or push polish between the stripe and the paint.

If they look like they need some polish you can hit them with a machine with a light polish like m205 or equivalent on a white pad.

They can be waxed or sealed the same as the paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

dcjredline
11-23-2013, 10:47 PM
I agree with the Tuf Stuff, works great in a pinch.
My method is this.
1. Put some of your fav carpet cleaner or APC into a 2 gal bucket(maybe 2 or 3 ounces all depends on how bad the carpets are)
2. Put some HOT water in the bucket (less than a gallon). There will be some foam hopefully.
3. I use my scrub brush to agitate the water each time before I start a section of carpet to get more foam.
4. Lift some foam with your brush or hands and scrub it into the carpet.
5. Use my LGM filled with pure water to extract the suds.
PS: If you have a really heavy soiled area pre spray it with your fav carpet cleaner or APC and be sure to extract SLOW over that area.

The towel idea is a great one too and should help even more with drying.

BrianMcLeod
11-23-2013, 10:59 PM

More to follow I'm sure.

PS: The guy only request a Wash and Wax pretty much... I am unsure if he wants his car "POLISHED". So worst case scenario, I will be using some Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion prior to waxing.

What area from Houston? Thats where I am!!

tuscarora dave
11-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks Dave!!

You're welcome. I recommend a clear sealant like UPGP or Opti-Seal.

EvolutionDetail
11-24-2013, 12:41 AM
What area from Houston? Thats where I am!!

I am in the Southwest area, Sugar Land

Thanks for the input everyone, I guess i will use WG Fuzion as my wax, on the paint and strips