PDA

View Full Version : Heavy overpay removal question

Pages : [1] 2

Evan.J
11-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey guys I am currently working on a vehicle that was brought to me with heavy overspray. From what I was told this was a sealant that was being sprayed onto a commercial roof near by.

I have washed and used IronX on the exterior I am now to the point of claying but what I am finding is that a fine clay either by hand or machine is not working. So i the stepped up to the medium grade pad and towel. While it is knocking this stuff down I am not getting a complete removal of the over spray.

Any recommendation that I can try out next?

07RS4
11-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Wow, aren't they liable for all the overspray?

Maybe try the Heavy Duty clay or towel? Maybe there is a chemical alternative to remove it, but I don't know of one.

When you say it's knocking it down, but not all the way, can you still feel the overspray with your fingers? Another alternative would be to find out what the material is that they sprayed, then attack it from there.

Pureshine
11-23-2013, 12:48 PM
looking forward to hear from other people on this. I have never had to deal with this yet.

HateSwirls
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
I had success once using 3M 3k ungrit sandpaper on a truck that had a similar problem as your having.
It's quick and doesn't take much work to correct it afterwards.

IMO that was my best option being the clay just wasn't getting it.

HandzFTW
11-23-2013, 02:09 PM
You got to get a heavy grit clay bar. A few companies make them.... depending on the vehicle you may have to sand it off. I have had great success with the heavy grit clay bars.

Evan.J
11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I had success once using 3M 3k ungrit sandpaper on a truck that had a similar problem as your having.
It's quick and doesn't take much work to correct it afterwards.

IMO that was my best option being the clay just wasn't getting it.

Well certainly I won't be tackling that on this car. I tried a plastic blabs and while it removed the top portion of this "Roofing sealant" it still left some bonded to the clear. I then tried claying that and it still won't be removed by anything. I even tried Wheels Brightener with no results.

I contacted the customer and explained to him my finds and thoughts and IMO it will either need sanded or a repaint. He contacted his insurance and the agent said that I was not fit to handle the job and they have had no reports of problems other than mine. I told the customer that if that what the agent has said then your more than happy to take it elsewhere I have no issues with that.

I did tell him to find out what these other places might use before letting them do any work. You never know what "special product" some place might use just because it got it off.

So needless to say I won't be doing this one after all and taking the high road and walking away.

tuscarora dave
11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
They'll use lacquer thinner on it, charge a premium, have a half a day in it and make bank on the deal. People are so afraid of the evil lacquer thinner but a ton of shops use it to fly through jobs like this.

That's how it would have been handled in my shop. Of course there'll be some materials where something a little more mild like mineral spirits with more elbow grease would have to be used.

It's a lot less aggressive than sanding and 10 times faster.

Flash Gordon
11-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Well certainly I won't be tackling that on this car. I tried a plastic blabs and while it removed the top portion of this "Roofing sealant" it still left some bonded to the clear. I then tried claying that and it still won't be removed by anything. I even tried Wheels Brightener with no results.

I contacted the customer and explained to him my finds and thoughts and IMO it will either need sanded or a repaint. He contacted his insurance and the agent said that I was not fit to handle the job and they have had no reports of problems other than mine. I told the customer that if that what the agent has said then your more than happy to take it elsewhere I have no issues with that.

I did tell him to find out what these other places might use before letting them do any work. You never know what "special product" some place might use just because it got it off.

So needless to say I won't be doing this one after all and taking the high road and walking away.

If I were you I would sand half the trunk lid (affected area), then polish to perfection and then tell your customer to tell his agent to put that in his pipe and smoke it

;)

Evan.J
11-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Here is some photos:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/IMG_4276_zpsbfee172b.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/IMG_4276_zpsbfee172b.jpg.html)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/IMG_4277_zps15514ce9.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/IMG_4277_zps15514ce9.jpg.html)

tuscarora dave
11-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Is there a bunch of fine overspray that I can't see from my phone or was it just the big drops of sealant on the car?

I have some nice plastic scrapers that would've sheared off the majority of those droplets then thinner should've easily cleaned up the rest.

You'd make a hell of a mess trying to sand those off. Too bad you lost the job but the insurance guy probably has seen many such cases quickly fixed at body shops in the past.

I'm not trying to bust your stones or nothing Evan, just saying the 99%ers just want it fixed yesterday. They don't care how, so long as it gets done.

Better luck next time.

Evan.J
11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes Dave there is a ton of little ones along with the larger ones. I did use a plastic blade while it did take the larger ones off some what, the other half was still bonded to the clear. I did try cleaning them up after I have knocked them down and still nothing would completely take them off.

Im not too concerned about losing the job and I believe you are right they expect it to be done a long time ago and for a price that Im just not willing to do. I feel that to get this right I would have to remove everything completely compound and polish properly and while I am a one man show it would take a couple days to get this done.

In the end though I feel I made the right choice by not doing this.

HateSwirls
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
If your not making a lot on it I'd just tell your customer in a nice way that you'd rather not continue with the car.
Sometimes it just ain't worth it.

Yes Dave there is a ton of little ones along with the larger ones. I did use a plastic blade while it did take the larger ones off some what, the other half was still bonded to the clear. I did try cleaning them up after I have knocked them down and still nothing would completely take them off.

Im not too concerned about losing the job and I believe you are right they expect it to be done a long time ago and for a price that Im just not willing to do. I feel that to get this right I would have to remove everything completely compound and polish properly and while I am a one man show it would take a couple days to get this done.

In the end though I feel I made the right choice by not doing this.

Evan.J
11-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I told him that what I feel about it and he was very understanding. He came to because of what he had seen with how other were getting the car done and needless to say it sounded like hack work from what he described.

He said that he will be bringing the car back in spring to have it polished. I had originally did and an inspection on the car a few months back and found some bad repaint and polishing marks all over the car so the intention was to correct all of that but he had something come up but he said he will be back in the spring so ill wait til then no problem.

tuscarora dave
11-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I told him that what I feel about it and he was very understanding. He came to because of what he had seen with how other were getting the car done and needless to say it sounded like hack work from what he described.

He said that he will be bringing the car back in spring to have it polished. I had originally did and an inspection on the car a few months back and found some bad repaint and polishing marks all over the car so the intention was to correct all of that but he had something come up but he said he will be back in the spring so ill wait til then no problem.
That's great!!

I don't blame you for allowing someone else to have the blessing.

Very glad to hear that he'll be bringing it back to you in the spring.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-23-2013, 06:56 PM
They'll use lacquer thinner on it, charge a premium, have a half a day in it and make bank on the deal. People are so afraid of the evil lacquer thinner but a ton of shops use it to fly through jobs like this.

That's how it would have been handled in my shop. Of course there'll be some materials where something a little more mild like mineral spirits with more elbow grease would have to be used.

It's a lot less aggressive than sanding and 10 times faster.

Is lacquer thinner the same as paint thinner? Also when you use this technique, just apply it to the towel and you're good to go? IPA wipe down afterwards?