PDA

View Full Version : Leaves/Grit stuck in MF after Rinseless wash

Pages : [1] 2

Detailingdoc
11-23-2013, 01:06 AM
After doing a recent rinseless wash, especially this time of year when all the leaves are falling off the trees I am always bound to get some small leaves/grit stuck in the nap of my microfiber towels mostly from the lower quarter panels/ edge of the underside of the car. Even after washing it is still stuck in there. Anyone have a good way to get it out. I definitely dont want to toss MF's after every rinseless wash.

What do you guys do to prevent this from happening?

artofdetailing
11-23-2013, 01:14 AM
If you have a steamer, steam the lower panels so that stuff falls off. If you don't, get cheap microfibers and use them only on the lower panels. Wash separate from your fluffy rinseless wash towels. You can get microfibers from costco or same club for the lower panels and use them until you feel they are unsafe. I wouldn't feel bad about throwing them out since they are sooo cheap

Romans5.8
11-23-2013, 01:46 AM
What about the coin-op to spray the lower panels and knock some of that stuff out?

I just threw away a cheap MF towel for almost the same reason. Luckily it was a cheap one! Using it on the door jambs and dropped it on the ground and it got a ton of grit, leaves, and junk stuck to it. Started picking stuff out for a few minutes, then washed it- useless. I just pitched it! Would take me hours to pick out all of that stuff.

wdmaccord
11-23-2013, 01:49 AM
I do get a random leaf chunk every now and then. Many times I don't know it until I pull them out of the dryer. A good reason to inspect every towel after you pull it out of the dryer (or sooner) before it goes back into use.

AutowerxDetailing
11-23-2013, 01:58 AM
IMO if there are leaves or large debris on the vehicle it is not a good candidate for a rinseless or waterless wash. You would need to do more of a hybrid wash by pressure washing any large debris and then performing the wash how you choose. This will avoid any debris getting into your wash media and potentially contaminating your other MF's etc.

KillaCam
11-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Another reason I haven't done a rinseless wash in a while. Sometimes you just need to do a traditional wash in those cases or do like the above people mentioned and hose it off first, which kind of defeats the purpose of a rinseless IMO.

Detailingdoc
11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
The car as a whole isnt very dirty it is just the area the few inches below the door where it curves around to become the underside of the car where debris is bound to get kicked up on during driving and unfortunately this time of year small fragments of leaves get stuck there.

I use the Gold plush JR for my rinseless washes normally but as soon as I saw the debris getting picked up I switched to the cheap costco MF for these areas. The mistake I made was to wash all the rinseless towels together.

The debris seems to wash out of the cheap MF's from costco and then wind up getting stuck in the plush side of Gold Plush Jr.

Ive learned my lesson to wash them seperately.

ScubaCougr
11-23-2013, 12:03 PM
I've found that some types of debris is easier to see or remove when the towel is soaking wet. I usually inspect carefully as they go from washer to dryer.

And washing in separate batches is a good idea to contain the damage.

Harry Da Hamster
11-23-2013, 12:12 PM
IMO if there are leaves or large debris on the vehicle it is not a good candidate for a rinseless or waterless wash. You would need to do more of a hybrid wash by pressure washing any large debris and then performing the wash how you choose. This will avoid any debris getting into your wash media and potentially contaminating your other MF's etc.
100% agree with Nicholas. Or if you don't have a pressure washer, use a water hose and nozzle on its highest pressure setting, and use a MF towel which has been delegated to lesser tasks. If too much "stuff" gets stuck in the MF towel, they're done for.

2shiny
11-23-2013, 01:24 PM
throw some vinegar in the washing machine. helps me when it happens. But I always use less expensive towels where it curves to the underside

Flash Gordon
11-23-2013, 03:11 PM
IMO this rag should be demoted to metal polishing or engine bay work

No way would I ever have confidence that 100% of that debri was removed

2shiny
11-24-2013, 07:14 AM
you could always use a grout aponge for the curves and lower parts

Detailing by M
11-24-2013, 02:56 PM
You need to wash them better.
I never have anything stay stuck in my mfs and I use them on everything.
I wash mine 3 times, add vinegar to the rinse.

AutowerxDetailing
11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Sometimes I wonder how much water is used to wash all these MF's from waterless washing compared to the water used with a low GPM pressure washer and standard 2BM wash.

KillaCam
11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Sometimes I wonder how much water is used to wash all these MF's from waterless washing compared to the water used with a low GPM pressure washer and standard 2BM wash.

I've always wondered the same thing lol.