PDA

View Full Version : PB Natty's Blue left spotting on stainless steel?

TCB
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
So I pulled out my new 03 Cobra and gave it a good bath with my new Foam Gun and DP Extreme Foam, which by the way worked well. Just don't bother trying NST7 in it, it doesn't work well.

Anyway the paint was already in mint conidition with lots of Zaino on it so I didn't feel the need to clean or correct the paint, just threw on a layer of Natty's Blue to give it a little extra "pop". As I got to my back bumper I just rolled right over the stainless steel inserts on my bumper figuring they are stainless steel and if anything the NB will give them a bit extra shine. When I went to go take the wax I noticed it seems to have left some spotting almost like etching. I tried a clean microfiber towel and some elbow grease but the spots never came off. They aren't really all that noticable unless you are up close but I want to get them off if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? Just in case some aren't familiar with the stainless steel inserts here is a pic (not my car, just a generic photo).

http://customerpics.americanmuscle.com/viewsingle.php?id=1023&sku=13036

ScottB
06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
it is likely that it is actually water spotting on the inserts. The wax just captured it and amplified it. I would polish them lightly or use a paint cleaner (Pinnacle, P21S) and then reapply.

Dust2Glory
06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
are the pipes aluminum or chrome? or go to your local auto parts store and pick up some metal polish... mothers brand, and get to buffing

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I doubt the wax caused your problem, would have to go with what Scott said.
Have you done anything to your Crobra, I tuned my brothers to 540/530 at the rear wheels with a stock eaton.

TCB
06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I had never noticed it before at all until now. I may try the metal polish but wanted to get some opinions before I place another chemical on top of it.

I doubt the wax caused your problem, would have to go with what Scott said.
Have you done anything to your Crobra, I tuned my brothers to 540/530 at the rear wheels with a stock eaton.

Yeah she isn't fully stock but close, 2.81 pulley on the eaton, magnaflow catback & upr CAI. The time it was on a dyno it was 482/475.

So you are a tuner and got a stock Cobra to 540 rwhp with just a tune? What tuner did you use, Predator or XCal2? Is your brother in MACA?

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
No, have 2.81 on the eaton, bassani mid-length, bigger injectors, fuel rails, lightning force cooler, accufab throttlebody, pauls high performace inlet. Use sct to tune. I used a dyno at a shop that used to sponsor my 10 inch tire car,
which was an 88 gt that went 8's back in the early 90's. Also had help my a good friend of mine Herman at horsepower by herman. That is the guy to go to for the cobras or any mod motor car.

TCB
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
THanks for the tip, I have heard of Herman at HBH. I had been thinking I need to take it to get retuned and was going to take it up to Jon Lund in PA but I might consider HBH.

WHere in NoVa is your brother and what color Cobra does he have? I am also in NoVa near Dulles.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
We grew up in N.arlignton, we have a house in woodbridge off of the prince william parkway. We buy and sell houses. He has a black vert, the way to tell it is his, herman put an 8.8 in it and it sits on 315's now. He also has the Magna flow cat-back. If you need help with cleaning your car let me know or if you want to try something out before you purchase. I would diffently go with herman on the tune. I have known for @ 20 years, you will not find a nicer or more helpful person. He moved his shop to fl because his wife got promoted in the coke co. My brother is getting ready to tow his car down to his shop for a kb. I know there is a couple shops in the area, but they just cant compete with hermans knowledge.

TCB
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
We grew up in N.arlignton, we have a house in woodbridge off of the prince william parkway. We buy and sell houses. He has a black vert, the way to tell it is his, herman put an 8.8 in it and it sits on 315's now. He also has the Magna flow cat-back. If you need help with cleaning your car let me know or if you want to try something out before you purchase. I would diffently go with herman on the tune. I have known for @ 20 years, you will not find a nicer or more helpful person. He moved his shop to fl because his wife got promoted in the coke co. My brother is getting ready to tow his car down to his shop for a kb. I know there is a couple shops in the area, but they just cant compete with hermans knowledge.

Wow I appreciate the offer, I will have to keep that in mind. I don't make it out towards Woodbridge all that often but I will keep my eye out for his ride. Let him know that if he sees a Mineral Grey vert (pretty rare, only 154 made) that would be me. :cheers:

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I know he goes out to ofwalons-an irish bar out by dulles town center alot. so you never know. Just let know if you need help.

P1et
06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
It's funny to read about real people using Eaton products. They were my account for the longest time, great people to work with. I bet I'm the only one here with an Eaton koozie!

TCB
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
it is likely that it is actually water spotting on the inserts. The wax just captured it and amplified it. I would polish them lightly or use a paint cleaner (Pinnacle, P21S) and then reapply.

Killr - hoping yo still see this thread. Were you suggesting the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or the P21S Polishing Soap?

The paintwork sounds like the right one but is it more for painted surfaces than stainless steel? The polishing soap sounds like it is made for metals but perhaps not the right application.

Would rolite metal polish be a good choice?

ScottB
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Killr - hoping yo still see this thread. Were you suggesting the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or the P21S Polishing Soap?

The paintwork sounds like the right one but is it more for painted surfaces than stainless steel? The polishing soap sounds like it is made for metals but perhaps not the right application.

Would rolite metal polish be a good choice?

I never thought about the polishing soap ... I use it on my uncoated Iforged Wheels and it works wonders. I know the paintwork lotion from P21S or Pinnacle are designed for paints, but both are chemical cleaners only and can be used on chrome with nice success. I would not use abrasives first, thus my offering.

TCB
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Sounds good, I will look into some P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion