PDA

View Full Version : Buying new tires..Any pointers on how to care for the from day 1?

Pages : [1] 2

MrOneEyedBoh
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Im getting new tires here soon ( on their way now ) , What Im wondering is should there be any prep prior to install? Should I wash the walls down to remove the blue lettering or that waxy stuff off of them? I use PERL on my tires... should I treat them 4-5 times to get them conditioned? Im fixing up the wheels now and prepping them for OC 2.0

ScottB
11-22-2013, 11:03 PM
When I get my new tires I clean them well with a stiff brush and something like ARO. I then dry them and dress them with a good tire protectant like Optimum.

Brody
11-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Rotate every 8,000 miles and you'll be fine. Also would be a wise idea to get the alignment checked when the new tires go on.

dc52nv
11-22-2013, 11:40 PM
I would clean them properly on both sides and treat them with a nice coat of Optimum Opti-Bond.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Yeah I have Megs APC+ and super degreaser. Should I use one of those straight? I also have the megs contoured stiff wheel brush.

I do plan on getting it aligned a well. I was looking for pointers on tire prep for the PERL to bond to it. You guys dont like PERL? I just bought more... ### haha

Radarryan
11-23-2013, 12:20 AM
I use PERL on my tires and really like the results. My prep consists of using either Optimum Power Clean or Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner on my tires. The OPC will be anywhere from 1:1 to 1:3 dilution, depending on the level of grime. I use this every wash when I will be redressing the tires.

Now, I use the Tuf Shine, which is the forum consensus best dedicated tire cleaner, when I want to strip everything off and start from a new, clean base.

I don't really need to clean the tires every wash; the PERL does a great job in the longevity department, but it's just part of my routine. I bet that I will be cleaning the tires less and less during the coming months since it is starting to get cold.

My only recommendation would be to pick up the Tuf Shine Tire cleaner that way you know that your cleaning everything out of the tire before the initial application. Is really a lot easier when you start from a clean base. You can look at the concentrate, which dilutes to 1:1, which helps the cost per ounce. It's a product won't use often, so a gallon will last you quite a while.

Happy detailing!

artofdetailing
11-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Yeah I have Megs APC+ and super degreaser. Should I use one of those straight? I also have the megs contoured stiff wheel brush.

I do plan on getting it aligned a well. I was looking for pointers on tire prep for the PERL to bond to it. You guys dont like PERL? I just bought more... ### haha

People do like PERL...whats not to like? You can use it for much more than just tires!

wrx495
11-23-2013, 02:22 AM
well if we are going for look here what they said ^^ but if you mean maintaining check the pressure once a month and fill them up to specs so you get even tread wear and rotate them even if AWD every 5k miles and your golden!

DBAILEY
11-23-2013, 05:19 AM
To get the PERL to be durable apply it to the tires 3 days in a row after doing some driving inbetween. The water repellency is there after 1 coat but the satin look won't stay. Must need to saturate the rubber then let the flexing rubber from driving work it in and reapply. I find that 3 coats is enough to keep the satin look about a month.

Klink10
11-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Add a tool to your aesenal, get a air compressor.

goldendodo19
11-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I would just tuf shine them. The shine lasts, the tires always look dressed and they clean off very easily with soap and water. Saves me time every time I wash by not having to scrub tires and dress and dry them after.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-23-2013, 09:57 AM
The tuf shine produces a set look that Im not into. I like the satin look.

FUNX650
11-23-2013, 10:13 AM
These have been mentioned:
-Always properly inflated
-Routinely rotated
-Alignment

I'll add:
-Balanced...Get them balanced.
-Avoid curbing them.
-"Tire Dressing"...303AP; or similar: milky-looking, 'water-based' ones.

:)

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks.

Harry Da Hamster
11-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Since the tires are new, perhaps try Tuf Shine. I haven't tried it YET but from the few reviews on the forum, it looks great and lasts a looong time.

If you live in an area that freezes and don't drive for extended periods during winter, don't park the vehicle on cold concrete. Preferably lift the vehicle or park on wood.

Immediately after getting the new tires, get a wheel alignment and check suspension (struts and bushings).