PDA

View Full Version : Transiting from PC to Rotary/Flex3401?

Elliott.lwy
11-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone. I have been researching all day about getting a rotary buffer or flex3401 since I want to take advantage of the current sale on Autogeek. So I came across few questions.

1. Are the pads interchangeable between PC (DA) and Rotary? I know their backing plates are different. And I have couple LLC Flat pad in different color for PC, should I get other particular pads for rotary?

2. I know wool pad offers incredible cutting power (that's the reason I want to switch from PC to rotary), and they are mainly in size of 7.5" to 8". But would a smaller wool pad (4") with same speed and etc increase the risk of burning the paint?

3. What really cause the hologram? Is it the pads, products, or technique? Does slower speed helps? Maybe less pressure too?

4. Does the section pass on DA applies on rotary buffer? Or should I just move the buffer randomly in the area?

5. Which one you guys prefer, Rotary or Flex 3401, for paint correction since I have PC for LSP?

Thanks in advance. :buffing:

RFulmer
11-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Never used a rotary but do have a PC, Griots DA, and a Flex 3401. If your used to a PC you'll be floored with the Flex, mainly for the time saved over the PC. Haven't picked up the PC or Griots since getting the Flex. The pads used on your PC will work fine with the Flex 3401. You may need to pick up the smaller plate if your using smaller pads.

hernandez.art13
11-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd go with a Flex or Rupes over a rotary. I use one daily now (rotary) and they are really good for body shop environments. After sanding repaints. Other than that a Flex or Rupes can correct just as much and they leave great finishes especially on jet black paint IMO and you don't really have to worry as much in burning paint or holograms. If it wasn't for holograms i'd choose a rotary.

artofdetailing
11-22-2013, 10:25 PM
flex or rupes. If you choose flex, you will be doing more with foam pads as its been known to be unfriendly with microfiber pads.

Elliott.lwy
11-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate. I think I should go for flex 3401 since I have experience with PC.

flex or rupes. If you choose flex, you will be doing more with foam pads as its been known to be unfriendly with microfiber pads.

Does Flex with Foam cutting pad, say LLC flat yellow, has more cutting power than PC with MF cutting disc? This is my concern because i have trouble taking out all the defects with PC/MF cutting combo. And this is one of the reasons I want to upgrade.

Elliott.lwy
11-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate. I think I should go for flex 3401 since I have experience with PC.

Does Flex with Foam cutting pad, say LLC flat yellow, has more cutting power than PC with MF cutting disc? This is my concern because i have trouble taking out all the defects with PC/MF cutting combo. And this is one of the reasons I want to upgrade.

I guess I found the answer. MF disc works better with DA. But purple foamed wool (PFW) has better cut with FLEX3401.

AaronC
11-23-2013, 01:23 PM
What is the big difference from both? whats would get the job done without too much of a hassle but great for a starter ?

davidg
11-23-2013, 01:25 PM
What is the big difference from both? whats would get the job done without too much of a hassle but great for a starter ?

PC vs 3401/rotary

or wool vs mf pads?