PDA

View Full Version : Restored Bathroom Countertops w/ DA Polisher

Pages : [1] 2

Coach Steve
11-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Used my DA for a home improvement project yesterday and wanted to share my story in case anyone else has the same situation I did as the results were incredible.

The countertops in both of my bathrooms are the faux marble type. It looks like marble but it's actually resins and various other things mixed in. It's called "cast polymers" these days.
With Thanksgiving being held at my house this year for the entire extended family, (Yay me!...) naturally, my wife really wants the house to look its best. A few days ago, my wife and I went through the house making a "to do" list which usually becomes more of a "Honey-do" list with me assuming the role of "Honey". When we got to the bathroom, we talked about how ugly and dull the countertops were but knew there wasn't anything that could be done about it aside from replacing them as we had tried in vain many times to shine them up so we moved on.

The house was built in '87 and over the years, the countertops have become dull and scratched and were impossible to shine-up, no matter what I tried. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered if my DA would do any good on this type of material. I was kinda nervous about it due to the fact that there was no inconspicuous spot to do any testing beforehand.

I used Megs UC and an orange cutting pad and set the DA on 3. I approached it just like I would a car and did a 2x2 section. Since I was nervous, I didn't apply any pressure just in case this process was too aggressive for the material. Did a few passes and checked the results. Nothing. Seriously? Man, I thought this material was supposed to be really soft and is why you're not supposed to use Comet or anything abrasive on them. Reapplied UC to my pad, cranked the DA up to 6, took a deep breath and went for it. After 4 passes, I decided to see just how badly I had probably damaged the countertop. I wiped what little product was left behind and what I saw was absolutely amazing! I even said, out loud, "Holy Sh**!" My wife, of course, assuming I had majorly screwed something up, asks ever so condescendingly, "What'd you do?!" My silence must have peaked her curiosity because she was at the bathroom doorway in seconds! We both stood there shocked at the transformation. I finished compounding the countertop and followed up with a long and slow polish. When I got done, they looked better than they ever had - even when they were new. They now have a mirror-like finish, and are super smooth. Even better is the water beds up so nicely and wipes off like a dream!
I just wish I would have remembered to take a few pics before I started. DOH!

rms64
11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Great story and writeup. Congrats on the "new" tops!

wheaton2010
11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I did the same thing! House was built in 1990 with faux marble tops. It was a little scary at first since I had no idea what would happen. I used M105 since it's not too aggressive. Turned out great!

Congratulations!

Desertnate
11-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Glad it worked...I've been contemplating using my DA on my black refrigerator. I might try it now.

drbll
11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Amazing!

I use my 3" GG on the glass stove top, really makes the rest of the kitchen look bad in comparison...

Coach Steve
11-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Part of the reason I was nervous and maybe even a bit reluctant to do it was because of what I had read a few years back when I was researching that type of material and what, if anything, could be done to revive them. Every article and DIY forum post I read talked about how soft the material is and if they had become dull because of harsh/abrasive cleansers (Comet, Ajax, etc.) and attempts to shine/polish them failed, it meant the gel-coat had been removed and there was nothing that could be done. On the other hand, I was just as willing to do it because of what I had read and I figured, hey... what's the worst that could happen? They'll just stay dull and I'll have wasted time yet again in my attempt to make them shine.
It's kinda strange that nowhere in the DIY forums, at least the ones I've searched, has anyone posted their results using a DA. You'd think that someone would have had the same brain fart I did and just went for it given the millions of homes that have this exact type of countertops combined with how many people have a polisher of some sort.

Coach Steve
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Amazing!

I use my 3" GG on the glass stove top, really makes the rest of the kitchen look bad in comparison...
:laughing: :laughing:
I did the same thing just last week and thought exactly the same thing! The special cleaner for those damn things only does so much. There's always the burned-on stuff that leaves a "stain" to some degree even after using Weiman's, etc. I'm pretty sure those cleaners are nothing more than super-mild rubbing compound of some sort anyway, so attacking the smooth top with a real compound and a cutting pad is more or less just boosting the cleaning I'd normally do. Now, if I could get the dishwasher and fridge to "pop" I'd be stylin'.... ;D

lekejian
11-22-2013, 10:05 AM
there are special polishing pads and powder for granite,I dont recommend this method,maybe it works for your countertop,but different material,different texture

Coach Steve
11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
there are special polishing pads and powder for granite,I dont recommend this method,maybe it works for your countertop,but different material,different texture
They're not granite. In fact, they're not even natural in any sense of the word. It's completely made out of resins and composites of some sort. If they were granite, I wouldn't have even thought of doing what I did.

KillaCam
11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Came in expecting pics. Left unsatisfied.

Klasse Act
11-22-2013, 12:24 PM
This post me grab my GG 3", LC mf pad and some Meg's M101. I decided to do the bathroom countertop and it came out nice, couldn't get all the scratches out but it looks a lot better now! I decided to protect my work w/ some Collinite #476, its very smooth and clean now.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

gibson24
11-22-2013, 12:38 PM
I was looking at the Menzerna line of wood finishing products because I been thinking about making an attempt at polishing out all the fine scratches on one of my guitars. Its on older Samick Artist Series, Les Paul style with the sunburst finish. Its rare these days because the specific model is no longer made.

It was my first guitar so i treat it like my cars. Lol. Not exactly sure how I'm going to go about this yet. I'd love for it to shine again like the day it was first hand crafted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online

Coach Steve
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
This post me grab my GG 3", LC mf pad and some Meg's M101. I decided to do the bathroom countertop and it came out nice, couldn't get all the scratches out but it looks a lot better now! I decided to protect my work w/ some Collinite #476, its very smooth and clean now.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
Suhweet! Glad I decided to create this thread. It inspired someone else to do what I did. As for the scratches, yeah, there are several that are just too deep and would require some serious sanding which I'm sure would go through the gel-coat and at that point, no amount of compound or effort will restore the shine. Glad it was successful!

I was looking at the Menzerna line of wood finishing products because I been thinking about making an attempt at polishing out all the fine scratches on one of my guitars. Its on older Samick Artist Series, Les Paul style with the sunburst finish. Its rare these days because the specific model is no longer made.

It was my first guitar so i treat it like my cars. Lol. Not exactly sure how I'm going to go about this yet. I'd love for it to shine again like the day it was first hand crafted.

I'm a musician too, although not a guitarist. There are several videos posted on YT by guys who refinished/restored their vintage guitars as well as numerous websites. And, if I recall correctly, Rik Emmit (formerly with Triumph) has a video series on his site in which he takes you through the process step-by-step. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done.

gibson24
11-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm going to definitely check that out thanks !

Dan K
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Pics anyone?
:Picture: