PDA

View Full Version : Micro fiber towels

Pages : [1] 2

BrianMcLeod
11-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Started really detailing cars this year! And so glad I found AGO!!!

I use o'reillys MF towels and going to buy the cost co towels for interior. I use a $11 Viking waffle weave towel what should I use for the paint what type of towel? Is the drying towel I'm using good or bad?? And for wiping of compounds and polishes etc... Will the Interior towels work for that?

dcjredline
11-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Did you try a search? There has got to be 1000 threads on MF towels. First thing I always do is try a search.

BradsDetailing
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
^^^ Use the search bar to keep the thread count down on the forum

But I would suggest getting something that is 300gsm like the cobra yellows or the arctic whites for wax/sealant/compound/polish removal and a couple really thick 500gsm+ ones for a final wipe or even for wax removal.

Drying towel is usually a good quality waffle weave otherwise use a leaf blower first to minimize use of the drying towel contacting the paint.

BrianMcLeod
11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
^^^ Use the search bar to keep the thread count down on the forum

But I would suggest getting something that is 300gsm like the cobra yellows or the arctic whites for wax/sealant/compound/polish removal and a couple really thick 500gsm+ ones for a final wipe or even for wax removal.

Drying towel is usually a good quality waffle weave otherwise use a leaf blower first to minimize use of the drying towel contacting the paint.

I was looking at the cobra towels there is a hd towel yellow and I think a blue what is the difference which is better

BradsDetailing
11-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Never ask what is better or the best on here. Some people don't assume what you want and will ask what you want in a product or what you are using it for.

The hd towel has a foam insert and soaks up more water but is stiff and best for patting the surface. The green/blue one is a traditional waffle weave that you should pat but also works like any ordinary waffle weave towel. I have both but I use the green/blue one more because the yellow ones are just too stiff and awkward and I just like having a towel i can get every bit of the car dry.

So I would suggest the green/blue ones. The supreme guzzler will dry my civic just barely. Sometimes I have to use two. The ultimate guzzler, which is bigger, will dry my car with just that one towel but I feel it's almost too big to handle. So I would recommend the 3 pack of supreme guzzler so you have an extra one if you can't dry a whole car with just 1 or you have a big truck or multiple cars to do.

BrianMcLeod
11-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Never ask what is better or the best on here. Some people don't assume what you want and will ask what you want in a product or what you are using it for.

The hd towel has a foam insert and soaks up more water but is stiff and best for patting the surface. The green/blue one is a traditional waffle weave that you should pat but also works like any ordinary waffle weave towel. I have both but I use the green/blue one more because the yellow ones are just too stiff and awkward and I just like having a towel i can get every bit of the car dry.

So I would suggest the green/blue ones. The supreme guzzler will dry my civic just barely. Sometimes I have to use two. The ultimate guzzler, which is bigger, will dry my car with just that one towel but I feel it's almost too big to handle. So I would recommend the 3 pack of supreme guzzler so you have an extra one if you can't dry a whole car with just 1 or you have a big truck or multiple cars to do.

So when you are drying a car you pat not run across the paint?

BrianMcLeod
11-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Is this the blue/green one?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I wrote a pretty in depth article on microfiber towels. I think if you better understood their properties it will help you answer your questions and what will be the best towel for your needs.

The Microfiber Manifesto: Everything You Need To Know About Microfiber Towels (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/microfiber-manifesto-everything-need-know-microfiber-towels/)

fljoemon
11-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the incredibly detailed article Scott!

CDot
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
I wrote a pretty in depth article on microfiber towels. I think if you better understood their properties it will help you answer your questions and what will be the best towel for your needs.

The Microfiber Manifesto: Everything You Need To Know About Microfiber Towels (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/microfiber-manifesto-everything-need-know-microfiber-towels/)

Wow, nice! *bookmarked

BrianMcLeod
11-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Yes think you so much! So just soak the towels in a bucket? And what type of towel brand would you go with for drying a car? And what kind to remove compound polishes ect.?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes think you so much! So just soak the towels in a bucket? And what type of towel brand would you go with for drying a car? And what kind to remove compound polishes ect.?

I use Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, gold detail cloth, buffing towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html) for rinseless washes, removing polish/compound, removing wax and on sensitive surfaces.

I dry my car with this The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-waffle-weave.html) .

I use sam's club towels for interiors, door jams and wheels (non sensitive surfaces).

Match your towel to the job. If you have a car that you're going to be compounding/polishing after washing and claying you don't need to use a sensitive surface towel on the car until you correct the paint, a little marring from washing and before processes doesn't hurt anything because you'll be correcting the paint regardless (the marring I'm talking about this very, very minor, I hope this goes without saying that you don't want to be reckless and carefree).

jankerson
11-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I use Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, gold detail cloth, buffing towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html) for rinseless washes, removing polish/compound, removing wax and on sensitive surfaces.

That's what I use 90% of the time. :xyxthumbs:

bobble
11-22-2013, 04:11 PM
One suggestion is to store them differently. I hope I do not violate any policy but you can get big ziplocs sometimes at a .99 store for cheap and they work great to store these. Interior's in one, exterior removals in another and exterior plushes in a third. I do not store my WW in bags as they are too bulky.
I source towels based on composition/quality, outlined nicely in Scotts article. I search the internet for prices and give them the choice to match here as one stop shopping is more important than saving a buck or two on a big order for me.
Also with careful care towels can last a long time so read up on care as well. Once towels are spent for me I use them as shop rags, wiping down engines etc.. There's always a use for them.

artofdetailing
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Rule of thumb....If there is a good amount of dirt/grime/grease etc, then use a cheap towel that you don't mind getting messed up. I keep my nice towels and my workhorse towels separate.