PDA

View Full Version : If you had your choice other than a SHmitt..

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
what would you use to minimize swirl marks. I got the 2 bucket system and a prewash down pretty well but looking to get a 2nd mitt to see how it works. There are so many out there, Chennile, MF, lambswool,
boar's hair (?) .........which do find is the softest and also releases dirt when in the rinse bucket?

Howard

A1monky
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I love Wool mitts. But I hate how they fall apart. Thats why I choose the Shmitt.

supercharged
06-25-2007, 01:13 PM
what would you use to minimize swirl marks. I got the 2 bucket system and a prewash down pretty well but looking to get a 2nd mitt to see how it works. There are so many out there, Chennile, MF, lambswool,
boar's hair (?) .........which do find is the softest and also releases dirt when in the rinse bucket?

Howard
Boar's hair would be nice, but it is quite expensive. Have you considered Natural Sea Sponge?

Driven Auto Detail
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I've used the Schmitt about a dozen times and come to the conclusion that I don't like it. I'm back to using sheepskin or cotton chenille mitts.

Eventhough a lot of people seem to like the Schmitt, I just feel like it doesn't perform as well for me. The first few times I used it I noticed spots that I had missed when I was all done washing. I never had that problem with other mitts. The problem to me is that it doesn't contour to the panel like a sheepskin/chenille mitt does w/o having to use your hand to "make it" conform to the panel. Plus, it's much easier to rinse out a sheepskin/chenille mitt, IMO than it is the Scmitt. Every mitt has it's pro's & con's but for me personally, a sheepskin or cotton chenille mitt is the way to go.

<flame suite on> :p

paradog
06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
I use a microfiber mitt...looks like a mop head, but shorter...works great, available at Target and no problems with performance

joe.p
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
i've been using Megs MF bone sponge more than my sheepskin mitts lately..it holds a lot of soap and its easy to flood the panels..

Truls
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Im using sheepskin mitt during summer here, and the one i got from Mothers dont fall appart.

Right shampo and it just sliiiiides over the paint....

But the ShMitt is also in good use.

cbartlett76
06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
i have a mf bone, chenille like (mf?) mitt, boars hair brush, and a schmitt... and the boars hair brush is my fav. it's really smooth.. and it's fun. you can get an extending handle to go with it. another thing I like is everything washes out of it. it's hair!

Al-53
06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I have a ton of wool mitts..and like them alot....I have the muppet head mitts also....I use them for wheels.....only time I had a problem with a wool mitt falling apart was washing in a machine....now I just lay them on a grate and blast both sides with the hose and hang dry....I have some over 3 years old and still good and fluffy...

Al

ScottB
06-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Sheepskin Mitts when new work very well ... I still find a healthy and thick MF towel is best for washing. Lots of nap to pull dirt up and away.

A1monky
06-25-2007, 08:27 PM
AL- U have had a wool mitt for 3 years?!?! I cant get mine to last a month. I need another Shmitt after 2 months. U da man!
Killr, which micro fiber has the best (thickest) nap?

shadybreal
06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
AG montana boars hair brush if I was made to switch, but thank God I don't have to.

Al-53
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
AL- U have had a wool mitt for 3 years?!?! I cant get mine to last a month. I need another Shmitt after 2 months. U da man!
Killr, which micro fiber has the best (thickest) nap?

Do not wash in a machine....and get the thumbless ones ....and should last for you....plus get a few and switch them out....I hardly ever put my hand in them....that way I can rinse them good in rinse water with out having to put on and take off all the time

Al

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
sheepskin only for me, tried the schmitt-not impressed.

P1et
06-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I use the ShMITT for my truck and can honestly say that there was a bit of a learning curve to it. I agree, it's easy to miss spots and that's why I do a lot of work with my fingers. To the point really to where I'm almost poking through them, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

I miss my regular sponges but you cannot beat how long the ShMITT lasts.