PDA

View Full Version : Rubber gloves

Pages : [1] 2

BrianMcLeod
11-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I see some people wear rubber gloves when they detail like ammo and other people. Why do they wear them? If so is it a good idea? Thanks!

c8n
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I started wearing gloves primarily because of finger printing

Bunky
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
I usually wear nitrile gloves when detailing. I will use some long glove latex gloves when washing. I am sure it is a "cool" factor in videos but good for safety when handling chemicals (irritation,etc).

allenk4
11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
+1 protection from chemicals

"If it's on you...it's in you."

Evan.J
11-21-2013, 11:49 AM
All the chemicals that you can have on you and that you use during a detail. I started getting water blisters from my hands being in water all the time so I started wearing gloves.

They saying goes, "If its on your skin its in you" I can't remember who said it.

I like the black Nitrile Gloves.

Large Black Nitrile Gloves, Pack of 20 (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fnitri le-gloves-l.html)

hernandez.art13
11-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I've actually been wondering about this. It seems weird having to use gloves all the time, but if it is harming ones body. Why not wear gloves to prevent it? especially the long term damage that can be so easily prevented.

APC has seemed strong to handle bare handed but at what point do you guys use gloves. When washing a car? Or correcting paint? How about hand waxing?

Idk, since I am doing this daily now, I have really been considering using gloves now... I know we use them when using paint thinner or other harsh chemicals. (^ Not saying those aren't btw)

KillaCam
11-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Just recently started using them mainly on things like cleaning tires and interiors. I buy the harbor freight nitrile gloves, dirt cheap.

hernandez.art13
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
I saw my co worker by a box of gloves from the shop. They were black SnapOn gloves. Like the Nitrile gloves we see all the time on YouTube.

I asked them what they were for. He said they were for his cousin who is a tattoo artist lol.

I am going to get myself some, I don't want to find out 20 years later that I should have worn gloves.

PiPUK
11-21-2013, 12:30 PM
It should be for safety reasons. If the US is anything like Europe, a professional user of chemicals is obliged to check out the safety data sheet. The majority of these sheets will recommend the use of some protection, gloves being the most basic. In fact, if you care to look, a lot of your products will recommend goggles as well...

hernandez.art13
11-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Noticed this...^

PRicci09
11-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Noticed this...^

Although it would surely be a good idea, I would guess putting that on the label is primarily to protect themselves from lawsuits

hernandez.art13
11-21-2013, 01:22 PM
My cousin actually got 3M Ultra Fine polish in his eye yesterday. He said it burned :laughing:

^ Yeah I assumed those were just for legal purposes. I am sure if I call about APC+ I will most likely get a yes one should wear gloves recommendation.

I will just start making it a habit of always wearing gloves and definitely proper breathing protection especially when working with actual paint or paint thinner.

I was wiping of some paint that got on the floor yesterday. I was painting some brake calipers with a spray can yesterday. I was cleaning the floor with a rag and a cup of paint thinner. My uncle came and stopped me and said "what are you trying to get drunk from the fumes?"

Lol

So then he told me use a mop. Now that I think of it, it probably wasn't safe cleaning the floor with paint thinner and a rag and on my hands and knees with no protection whatsoever and the car was lifted on 4 jack stands with all 4 wheels completely off :laughing:

If the car would have fell I would have been squashed like a bug :doh:

:cruisin: :D

wdmaccord
11-21-2013, 01:25 PM
They only time I DON'T wear gloves now is for a maintenance 2BM wash or RW. Any interior or exterior detail project I am gloved up from start to finish.

BrianMcLeod
11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
So are y'all saying to wear gloves all the time? Like art said when? Washing the car or what?

KMG
11-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I am wearing gloves probably 90% of the time when I am doing stuff. Better safe then sorry.