PDA

View Full Version : opti bond gel not exactly bonding

Bill1234
11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi ag, I purchased some opti bond tire and trim gel a while back. Works great, water based and reasonable. I would like to know what the best way to have it bond to the tire would be. I have it as wiping it on sections with a paint brush, then massaging it in.

It has worked nicely on brand new tires, so im confused why it will not work here

VP Mark
11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
What exactly is the issue you are having?

Make sure the tires are clean of all dirt, grime, and old tire dressing. I've found removing old solvent based dressing can be difficult but goop off followed by cleaning with APC then rinsing can get even the most stubborn stuff off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Bill1234
11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
I apply the opti bond to a totally stripped tire. I wait for the gel to dry and take a look, its not exactly as bright as Ive seen on other cars that I have done work on. Also, after one day of light driving, the tire looks dull again which it should not

Rsurfer
11-20-2013, 07:03 PM
I apply the opti bond to a totally stripped tire. I wait for the gel to dry and take a look, its not exactly as bright as Ive seen on other cars that I have done work on. Also, after one day of light driving, the tire looks dull again which it should not

Rubber is like plastic..what looks good on one car may not on another. Tires seem to react differently to some tire dressing.

Father87
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, do you know if opti bond can be mixed with water and sprayed? I'm thinking of this to apply to wheel well area so my applicator doesn't have to get so dirty in there. Thoughts?

Rsurfer
12-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, do you know if opti bond can be mixed with water and sprayed? I'm thinking of this to apply to wheel well area so my applicator doesn't have to get so dirty in there. Thoughts?

Yes, you can cut it 1:1. I much prefer CG Bare Bones for wheel wells.

primo spaghetti
12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
i spray my opti bond on...let it sit, then wipe with a sponge or mf applicator. if needed i add a second coat, but one usually does it.

I'm applying 1:1 to clean tires.