PDA

View Full Version : High end correction / detail coming up. Need advice!

Pages : [1] 2

Just02896
11-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I have an original owner 25th anniversary Toyota Supra coming in for a minor correction / detail. The car is all original with 20k miles. Silver exterior, black leather interior, chrome factory wheels. Correction, polishing, and LSP will be done with a Flex 3401. I would love some input as far as which brand of product would best be suited for this vehicle. I have always used pinnacle products but would like to give this car the gloss and protection that it deserves. Thanks in advance!

zmcgovern45
11-20-2013, 04:20 PM
I would use the same process you use on any vehicle in need of correction...

Proper cleaning and decontamination, proper test spots to determine correction process, careful compounding/polishing, and then apply protection. You'll find that proper technique and "best practices" make a bigger difference than a particular product most of the time.

I'd personally try to up-sell a premium coating (I always do) for final protection, but an older (iconic) vehicle would be an easy sell if they would like to continue to preserve the original appearance.

Here are some write ups that you can look through if you'd like.
Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results for "Supra" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4722133)

Just02896
11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the input! The car has a nice metallic silver paint so I was thinking 2-3 coats of carnuba wax instead of a sealer. Any input on this? The car NEVER sees in inclimate weather and is garaged 100% of the time.

zmcgovern45
11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the input! The car has a nice metallic silver paint so I was thinking 2-3 coats of carnuba wax instead of a sealer. Any input on this? The car NEVER sees in inclimate weather and is garaged 100% of the time.

As with any color, the shine is emphasized mostly by proper polishing rather than choice of LSP.

As I mentioned, I would've tried to upsell a premium coating for both durability and appearance... but if I were to use a traditional form of protection, I typically reach for a sealant.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1000330_284752178329575_1097984101_n.jpg
^This silver STi was simply finished with Menzerna Power Lock sealant after correction... shine was quite nice.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/68948-my-first-subaru-pics-2005-sti-paint-correction-quick-photo-shoot.html

Evan.J
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
As with any color, the shine is emphasized mostly by proper polishing rather than choice of LSP.

As I mentioned, I would've tried to upsell a premium coating for both durability and appearance... but if I were to use a traditional form of protection, I typically reach for a sealant.

]

:iagree:

Proper Prep is always key. Let your test spot tell you what works best on the paint. If the person wants a wax or sealant then certainly go with a sealant and you will get a much longer protection life. If you want and have the time also talk about having a wax over top of the sealant or known as Topping.

If you do just go with a wax then two layers is more than enough. Adding multiple layers does not anything but waste product. Most people will do 2 layer to ensure prop and even coverage.

Just02896
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks fellas! Maybe I will recommend a sealant instead. What do you guys like for leather cleaner and conditioner? Interior dash, door, and plastics dressing? I've always used lexol dressing on interiors as I HATE shiney interior plastics.

zmcgovern45
11-20-2013, 05:13 PM
If you prefer the matte finish for dash/plastic/vinyl, look into Einszett Cockpit Premium. It is a great product for light, routine cleaning and also protects the finish from UV damage.

I typically use diluted D103 and/or steam for leather cleaning and then condition it with Leatherique Prestine Clean or Griot's Garage Leather Care.

Mike Phillips
11-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Very cool car.

Is this car typically always garage kept when not in use?

:)

Just02896
11-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Very cool car.

Is this car typically always garage kept when not in use?

:)

Yes sir. The car belongs to my dentist. It is his "baby". I'm hoping to purchase it from him if / when he sells it!

Bill1234
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
I would do something like this,
strip wax 50/50
dry
clay bar, if needed
wipe down lubricant from clay
correct, minor probably
wax -collinite 476s, 4 coats all over, idk if is too much

jankerson
11-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks fellas! Maybe I will recommend a sealant instead. What

If it's going to be in the garage.

I would go with 2 coats of sealant and top it with 2 coats of Wax.

Something like M21 topped with M26.

Just02896
11-20-2013, 07:44 PM
What's a good strong wheel cleaner that's safe for chrome? CG Diablo any good?

Anyone use this stuff before? SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz. Buy Two Get One Free Special! (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-bogo.html)

swanicyouth
11-20-2013, 08:00 PM
What's a good strong wheel cleaner that's safe for chrome? CG Diablo any good?

Anyone use this stuff before? SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz. Buy Two Get One Free Special! (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-bogo.html)

Sonax FE? Nah, never heard of it.

Yeah, a lot of guys use FE. It removes embedded iron. I think 1Z is better. However, if you want strong - the strongest is Wheel Bright.

stilltipping3
11-20-2013, 09:05 PM
If it's going to be in the garage.

I would go with 2 coats of sealant and top it with 2 coats of Wax.

Something like M21 topped with M26.

What sealant do u use and how long do u keep cars as some have a long cure time?

I usually do one coat of sealant and a wax as they want their ride the same day?

Or are those the sealants ur talking about above?

Clay is crucial to the car if it needs it. Then I like the Menz400 now and then I am going with either a 205 or the Menz2500, followed by Klasse Aio with KSG and then a wax.

If u want to save time then Menz 400 and Menz 4500 with some EZ crème and a wax.

Or 105/205 with Ksg and no wax.

How about Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish and then Megs Synthetic wax for a cheap way out.

There are numerous variations of what u can use. Make the most money u can and apply products to the standard they like to keep the car in. If its pristine then go all the way and charge accordingly. If not, chop it up a bit with cheaper products. Time will also be in question.

Just02896
11-20-2013, 10:57 PM
What sealant do u use and how long do u keep cars as some have a long cure time?

I usually do one coat of sealant and a wax as they want their ride the same day?

Or are those the sealants ur talking about above?

Clay is crucial to the car if it needs it. Then I like the Menz400 now and then I am going with either a 205 or the Menz2500, followed by Klasse Aio with KSG and then a wax.

If u want to save time then Menz 400 and Menz 4500 with some EZ crème and a wax.

Or 105/205 with Ksg and no wax.

How about Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish and then Megs Synthetic wax for a cheap way out.

There are numerous variations of what u can use. Make the most money u can and apply products to the standard they like to keep the car in. If its pristine then go all the way and charge accordingly. If not, chop it up a bit with cheaper products. Time will also be in question.

I priced it at $500-$550 and will be spending 80% of the majority of my time on the paint. The interior will get a full detail minus carpet cleaning. The exterior will be washed / dewaxed, coated again with DG901 as a lube, and clayed. The Wheels will be removed, cleaned, and sealed. And I'm anticipating limited spot med-light correction, polish, and then sealant. Exterior glass will be polished and tires dressed. Hoping to blow through it in 8-10hrs max.