PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Grille

Moondoggy
11-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I have an aftermarket chrome grille on my 52 chevy pickup which started pitting and rusting. Is there anything I can do or put on it that will prevent it from rusting any further?

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I have an aftermarket chrome grille on my 52 chevy pickup which started pitting and rusting. Is there anything I can do or put on it that will prevent it from rusting any further?
Having it go through the processes of being re-chromed is the surest method.

Until that can be arranged:
Turtle Wax's: Chrome Polish and Rust Remover will provide a minor miracle!
Follow that up with a good Sealant...and keep it as dry as possible.

:)

Bob

Detailing by M
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Yes, a metal Polish. Most have some sort of protestant in them

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing ;) or...

Moondoggy
11-21-2013, 08:23 AM
What kind of sealant?

FUNX650
11-21-2013, 08:41 AM
What kind of sealant?
Here's something cost effective...

At H-D Dealerships:
S100 Total Cycle Corrosion Protectant; and:
S100 Carnauba Wax.

They're also found here:
S100 Motorcycle Care Products - S100 is used worldwide by motorcycle detailers & enthusiasts! motorcycle detailing products, bike care products, s100 (http://www.autogeek.net/s1cycapr.html)

:)

Bob

Moondoggy
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks Everybody for you help!!!

damaged442
11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
I've used the Turtle Wax mentioned above, I've used Blue Magic Metal Polish and just recently picked up some Collinite Metal Wax. The first two always did a fine job on removing rust and polishing what you can. Have not yet used the Collinite on anything, so I can't give an answer there.

dchristo
11-22-2013, 08:45 AM
sharkhide will do the trick

Sharkhide aluminum sealer and protectant (http://www.eastwood.com/sharkhide-aluminum-protectant-quart.html)

BillyJack
11-22-2013, 01:10 PM
I've used the Turtle Wax mentioned above, I've used Blue Magic Metal Polish and just recently picked up some Collinite Metal Wax. The first two always did a fine job on removing rust and polishing what you can. Have not yet used the Collinite on anything, so I can't give an answer there.

Collinite Metal Wax is great stuff. It's rather mild, so you may need some #000 or #0000 steel wool if any rust is present, but you'll have the cleaning and polishing properties plus legendary Collinite protection. It's all I use as a maintenance product on my chrome, stainless and aluminum surfaces.
Meguiar's now sells a heavy cut and medium cut metal polish. I haven't used either yet, but if they're as good as the traditional Meguiar's metal polishes, you'll be pleased.

Bill

frank625
11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
If its starting to rust or pit 000 steel wool is the best. I mostly have detailed custom bikes that have a whole lot of chrome and 000 steel wool has given me excellent results. make sure you blow off any residue from the steel wool pads because if it gets on a painted area it can scratch the paint when it is wiped clean. Blow it off from top to bottom with air. If you are using steel wool near a painted surface, mask it off just to protect it.