PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any "Bad" Shampoos Out There?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rouxster
11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Taking a different angle at all of the car shampoo threads. Besides, Dawn or anything else that is not made for car washing, are any of the name brands (Megs, any of the AG brands, dollar store car shampoo, etc.) bad for washing your car?

They all seem to advertise the same thing - condition the paint, lubricate the dirt, lots of suds, etc.

PiPUK
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Most will do the job unless you do something really strange. That includes Dawn and similar which, contrary to detailer belief, are not all that different in chemistry to car shampoos.

spiralout462
11-20-2013, 03:29 PM
I have noticed that some foam lasts longer than others. Scent is important to some people. It's probably one of those "personal preference" decisions.

swanicyouth
11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Prima Mystique is pretty bad.

Desertnate
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Blue Coral car shampoo is terrible. It's cheap for a reason. Doesn't foam very well and cleans about as well as the water it's mixed with.

If found it hard to get off too.

rouxster
11-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Blue Coral car shampoo is terrible. It's cheap for a reason. Doesn't foam very well and cleans about as well as the water it's mixed with.

If found it hard to get off too.

That's funny. Who would name a car wash that is supposed to clean and condition your paint, blue coral? We all know what would happen if we washed our cars with coral. Is there even a coral called blue coral? Probably some Japanese company that thinks anything tropical is good.

Sorry, I felt like Dennis Leary for a second.

Romans5.8
11-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Most will do the job unless you do something really strange. That includes Dawn and similar which, contrary to detailer belief, are not all that different in chemistry to car shampoos.

Well, similar doesn't always mean just as good. For example, car oils and motorcycle oils are very, very similar; however- many car engine oils on the market today contain a little bit of friction modifier to help you squeeze out an extra MPG. That will very rapidly degrade the wet clutches in most motorcycles.

In the case of Dawn, it may be similar (Though, I use it on my dishes, and it certainly doesn't seem to have the lubricity of car wash shampoo). I don't know if it is or not, but if it is; it still contains very heavy duty degreasers. In fact, Dawn is used to cleanup the effects of oil spills for that reason. Those heavy degreases are a little too harsh for washing a car because they tend to strip waxes and other things. Lots of detailers DO use Dawn, in order to intentionally strip protectant from the paint.

When it comes to the guy who washes his car with a sponge from the kitchen, a dirty bucket, and some old rags; well I don't know why anyone cars if he uses Dawn. It'll probably get rid of some surface contaminants at least. I seriously doubt that's the kind of guy that's putting waxes or sealants on his car!

swanicyouth
11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Autoglym is pretty bad. Didn't stop me from buying another bottle

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/u3yvypuh.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/qepaqaty.jpg

I think her Majesty the Queen herself and the Prince of Wales should look at Duragloss or Optimum:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/vyvejury.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/4y8a2a4y.jpg

Judge
11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
According to Larry Kosilla, some of the cheaper shampoos contain salts to act as a thickener and make it appear more concentrated. He didn't name any names, but I think that's reason enough to steer clear of the really cheap shampoos.

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Edit: Posted same: Twice...
Pardon the faux pas.

ScottB
11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I would NOT consider it bad, but a soap like P21S is NOT going to do heavy cleaning. It will keep a 'nuba going and not strip it off. I have heard others express soaps are bad when they don't clean as anticipated, but I believe it may have more to do with what they were designed to work with within their line.

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 06:11 PM
How "Bad", is bad...
Is of a subjective-value, right?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Barf_soap.jpg

Most will do the job unless you do something really strange. That includes Dawn and similar which,
contrary to detailer belief, are not all that different in chemistry to car shampoos.

All WUL's are not created equal!!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/ack.gif

Bob

HateSwirls
11-20-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm a CG sort of guy when it comes to car soap, last week I ran out of my Maxi-Suds so I went out and bought a cheaper OTC soap.
The cheaper soap left spots all of the car, I had to use a WW to clean it up.
No more, done , if I run out well the car won't get cleaned.
This Mornimg I ordered Mr.Pink to compare it to Maxi-Suds which I love but hear good things about MP.

PiPUK
11-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, similar doesn't always mean just as good. For example, car oils and motorcycle oils are very, very similar; however- many car engine oils on the market today contain a little bit of friction modifier to help you squeeze out an extra MPG. That will very rapidly degrade the wet clutches in most motorcycles.

In the case of Dawn, it may be similar (Though, I use it on my dishes, and it certainly doesn't seem to have the lubricity of car wash shampoo). I don't know if it is or not, but if it is; it still contains very heavy duty degreasers. In fact, Dawn is used to cleanup the effects of oil spills for that reason. Those heavy degreases are a little too harsh for washing a car because they tend to strip waxes and other things. Lots of detailers DO use Dawn, in order to intentionally strip protectant from the paint.

When it comes to the guy who washes his car with a sponge from the kitchen, a dirty bucket, and some old rags; well I don't know why anyone cars if he uses Dawn. It'll probably get rid of some surface contaminants at least. I seriously doubt that's the kind of guy that's putting waxes or sealants on his car!

Whether it was as good was not the point. Not all dedicated shampoos are great and many are pretty ropey, but they still foam and they still clean if you dilute adequately.

I am well aware of all of the Dawn arguments and I would recommend you do a search on recent threads on the topic. Briefly, I am a chemical formulator, I design, manufacture and sell cleaning chemicals to the automotive sector. I have demonstrated repeatedly that washing up liquids (Dawn being an example) leave surfactant residues. This should surprise no one as many do this intentionally to negate water spotting. I have shown how such product (and others, including APCs) can make water appear to stick to the surface, removing the water beading and (detailer definition of) sheeting. I have shown how further cleaning can reliably recover the hydrophobic character. All of this is in perfect agreement with what one would expect from the chemistry of the products. So I confidently assert that most of the time someone strips a product with something like Dawn or a diluted APC, they have achieved nothing more than putting a layer of surfactant over the top of their LSP, which remains safe and well underneath. Of course the other alternative is that they need to investigate a higher quality LSP.

As for who uses washing up liquids for washing cars... well, I agree that detailers are unlikely to use a product labelled as washing up liquid to clean their pride and joy. Of course, what happens when someone puts washing up liquid into a bottle that says "Car Shampoo" and pumps a bunch of money into marketing... that's another matter entirely. ;)

All WUL's are not created equal!!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/ack.gif

Bob

:props: Of course - when you consider that those within the I&I sector often want washing up liquids which they sell at below the cost price of the likes of Fairy (I guess, our equivalent of Dawn), this should be no surprise to anyone!

swanicyouth
11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
I would NOT consider it bad, but a soap like P21S is NOT going to do heavy cleaning. It will keep a 'nuba going and not strip it off. I have heard others express soaps are bad when they don't clean as anticipated, but I believe it may have more to do with what they were designed to work with within their line.

P21S soap works awesome for me. High quality soap. I think it has wheat germ or something in it.