PDA

View Full Version : Need a STRONG OTC wheel cleaner..

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrOneEyedBoh
11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Im starting to prep my extra wheelset for Opti-coat and the inside barrel will NOT come clean. m currently using what I have and I have tried Megs APC and Super degreaser. I tried them both at 4:1 max concentration.

Is there anything that can be bought at Advance auto that will work on these? Two of the wheels are pretty decent but still have the brownish tone, while two are still darker ( guessing the fronts? )

These were used when I just bought them ( obviously ) so I dont know their care history.. Thanks!

DaVinciAutoSpa
11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Try 0000 steel wool with the Megs APC. Wear rubber gloves if you have them. Scrub hard.

jamesboyy
11-20-2013, 12:13 PM
while Sonax full effect wheel cleaner can be your friend to get off heavy brake dust and a little hand compounding but if your budget is tight and the staining wont come off try ACID for your last hope and its cheap like six dollars the most ..good luck

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Brown royal, amazing stuff just did a Yukon Denali the wheels were not cleaned in 5 years.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image234.jpg

96z28
11-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Mothers All Wheel Cleaner works pretty well for OTC

Brody
11-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Zep Industrial Purple Degreaser from lowes or home depot will take care of it, but I would use it as a last resort. You could also use wheel acid, but I don't know of any places that carry it OTC.

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 12:29 PM
the inside barrel will NOT come clean.
What is the "finish" of the inside barrels?
Example: All of my vehicles wheels' inside barrels are "bare aluminum".

Examples of OTC-products/tools I've used on mine are:
Eagle 1 "A2Z";
Mother's aluminum cleaner/polish;
Terry towels;
Mushroom Buffs (with ¼" arbor);
My drill motor(s);
Mineral spirits (low odor) for 'wipedown'.

If your inside barrels "finish" would happen to be different: Please advise.

Good Luck!

:)

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
I dont want to sit there and polish it Bob, thanks though. If Im going to go thru that, I'll just leave it as is.. But you're right, ir feels slightly rough. Im guessing its bare aluminum. The face is clear-coated.

I have 0000 wool here I believe.. I'll try that and the super degreaser. ITs stronger then the APC right? Maybe I'll do APC first then super degreaser.

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I dont want to sit there and polish it Bob, thanks though. If Im going to go thru that, I'll just leave it as is..
But you're right, ir feels slightly rough. Im guessing its bare aluminum. The face is clear-coated.

I have 0000 wool here I believe..
I'll try that and the super degreaser. ITs stronger then the APC right?
Maybe I'll do APC first then super degreaser.
Not so much as to polish them...as it is to thoroughly clean them.

0000 wool (?):
You don't want a bunch of microscopic steel-wool strands left behind,
deep down into the pores of bare aluminum, to rust and interfere with your OC.

You are going to be Opti-Coating them, right?

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
didnt think of that... And yes, opti-coating will be done

Klasse Act
11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
OP, have you tried the products full strength? Either way, a little "elbow grease" is in order to get the barrels clean, think about all they've been through, dirt and heat, baked on, so yeah, a little effort is in order.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Pats300zx
11-20-2013, 01:27 PM
How about Eagle One A to Z. You can get it just about anywhere and it's great on tires as well.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah.. I don't know how I'll get them cleaned...

FUNX650
11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
How about Eagle One A to Z. You can get it just about anywhere and it's great on tires as well.
Same as my earlier suggestion...Glad you concur!

Examples of OTC-products/tools I've used on mine are:
Eagle 1 "A2Z";

Yeah.. I don't know how I'll get them cleaned...

Again: I wish you Best of Luck!

Bob

rjd598
11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
OP, have you tried the products full strength? Either way, a little "elbow grease" is in order to get the barrels clean, think about all they've been through, dirt and heat, baked on, so yeah, a little effort is in order.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

+1 try them undiluted. i'm sure that has to be more powerful than anything otc even though some are great wheel cleaners