PDA

View Full Version : Cutting pads for DA polishing

MJT
11-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Hi there can someone clarify what the differences are between foam cutting pads, microfiber cutting pads and say lambs wool leveling pad/bonnets for DA polishers?

Am I right in thinking the heaviest cutting pads to lightest are -

Lambs wool pads
Microfiber pads
Foam pads (yellow, orange)

What would be ideal for polishing up a scratch that had been wet sanded by hand using say 1500 grit paper?

Do many people use wool pads with DA polishers or do most jump to rotary machines for that time of requirement?

Thanks guys!

lawrenceSA
11-20-2013, 02:06 AM
I am not 100% sure which is more aggressive out of the wool or the MF pads, but foam are definitely not as aggressive.

You must remember that every paint system is different as there is therefore no '1-size fits all' approach to polishing paint. Your guiding mantra when doing anything detailing should be to always use the least aggressive method to get the job done.

Some paint is very soft, some very hard, and the plethora of variables in between.

Then add into the equation that polish itself ranges from very mild (like a finishing polish) to very aggressive (like a cutting compound).

Now pair that with the variety of pads available and you can see that you are able to vary the amount of cut (how much clear will be removed during polishing). Hence the need for a test spot.

This is where you will take your least aggressive combo (pad/polish/machine) and see if it removes sufficient paint to remove the scratch and/or swirls (to remove the scratch you must remove the paint surrounding the scratch so that it is level again). If it does. stop right there. If not, progressively increase the cut until you remove sufficient damaged, and if need be, you may have to go back to your least aggressive combo to finish off well (i.e. very glossy through the removal of the previous polishing steps).

Perhaps if you list what type of vehicle you intend working on, the color and a list of your existing polishes, others can chime in with some guidance on what would be likely to work in your case.

Something else to consider is that it is not always advisable to polish out deeper scratches on a daily driver as it removes too much clear coat.

Lawrence

MJT
11-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks for this! I currently have a number of yellow, orange, white and grey ccs pads (5.5"). The polishes I have are m105, m205, Meguires UC, Meguires UP. Between the polishes that I have do you think that is a good enough range? Would I be right in thinking that the heaviest to lightest cut is as follows -

M105
M205
UC
UP

Is that correct? So for soft paint or thin clear coats would UC/UP be advisable? Would anyone use m205 on a softer paint or would that be deemed to aggressive?

wdmaccord
11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
UC is probably in between M105 and M205. It cuts well but also finishes more like a polish. It has worked well for me as a 1-step. M105 is more of a traditional compound in that it needs to be followed with a polish in most instances, so M105 then M205 is a typical combo.

For 1500 grit, I'd start with M205 on an orange pad. If that's not enough try M105 on a white pad. If that still doesn't cut it go to M105 on orange. I just don't know if UC would actually be able to cut 1500 grit?

M205 would be fine on softer paints that just need polishing. For heavier defects, UC is a good choice. This test spot below was done with Megs UC on an orange LC CCS pad with GG6 on a trashed black Accord with soft paint:

Kengo123
11-21-2013, 02:32 AM
M105
UC
M205
UP

This is based off of an aggressiveness chart from another forum that was posted here