PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed with uber compound

Pages : [1] 2

bugguy67
11-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Just received a bottle of wolfgang uber compound I ordered because of all the hype its been recieving. I decided to use it on a 2010 black Chevy truck that came in for a two step correction. Heavy swirls and a few deeper scratches. I thought this would be a great scenario to test out the "wonderful new uber compound" !...well I started with a new hybrid orange cutting pad on a flex 3401 primed the pad and applied three dime sized drops of compound and worked product in at speed 2 and then bumped up to speed 5 and everything was fine so far and at about my third pass heavy dusting started , got a little annoyed but continued to work the product until it flashed and stopped to wipe off product and it was very difficult I had to use detailing spray to wipe paint clean ...I at that point tried a different pad a ccs orange pad and no change...I tried a white hybrid pad just for giggles and it just gummed up bad!!...so I put the uber compound down and finished the truck with fg400 and so 40 with no issues what so ever!!!...so have I received a bad batch of uber compound because every one who has used it raves about how good it is and I got to tell you what I got is not good at all!!!
Sent from my SPH-L720 using AG Online

bugguy67
11-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Forgot to mention that the uber compound also wasn't removing the swirls let alone fine scratches.

bugguy67
11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Finished with sf 4000 not "so 40"...stupid spell check lol

spiralout462
11-19-2013, 09:26 PM
I have experienced excellent results with Uber Compound on a LC Tangerine Hydrotech. I use a PC on speed 5 with 2 or 3 PEA sized drops on a primed pad. Not only does it finish great for me but it also removes some pretty deep rids when I lean on it a little. I haven't seen one speck of dust in the 3 or 4 times I have used it. I have also found it to wipe off easier than Total Swirl Remover 3.0.

swanicyouth
11-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Maybe the stuff ain't no good?

Nick McKees37
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Just received a bottle of wolfgang uber compound I ordered because of all the hype its been recieving. I decided to use it on a 2010 black Chevy truck that came in for a two step correction. Heavy swirls and a few deeper scratches. I thought this would be a great scenario to test out the "wonderful new uber compound" !...well I started with a new hybrid orange cutting pad on a flex 3401 primed the pad and applied three dime sized drops of compound and worked product in at speed 2 and then bumped up to speed 5 and everything was fine so far and at about my third pass heavy dusting started , got a little annoyed but continued to work the product until it flashed and stopped to wipe off product and it was very difficult I had to use detailing spray to wipe paint clean ...I at that point tried a different pad a ccs orange pad and no change...I tried a white hybrid pad just for giggles and it just gummed up bad!!...so I put the uber compouou ever!!!...so have I received a bad batch of uber compound because every one who has used it raves about how good it is and I got to tell you what I got is not good at all!!!

It's normal for an ORANGE Hybrid pad to "dust" the first time you use it.

Since you had difficulty using the product with 3 different types of pads (two different types of foam as well), then I would suggest adjusting your technique:

If the compound was difficult to wipe off, then you worked it too long or you didn't have enough product on the pad to begin with. Set your FLEX XC3401 to speed 6 (you are trying to remove swirls and scratches, right?), practice a slow arm speed and perform 5-6 overlapping passes - 10-15 lbs of downward pressure.

That should do the trick. :props:

allenk4
11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Shake Well?

bugguy67
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah...I also thought maybe it needed more shaking up to mix it well so I shook a lot lol...and to Nick ..I tried speed six and it immediately dusted !! And gummed up...I tried using more product then less product I tried using a slow speed ...I had read somewhere that "uber" liked slow speeds but to no avail. ..my arm speed was pretty slow also...I dunno ...I'm not giving up on yet!...I'm going to try it on a different car and see if maybe it was just one those weird anomalys. I was just so excited after hearing all the reviews . Hopefully a different car will make a difference.

Znig22
11-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Try to take a "annoying video" so we all can see what's going on to make suggestions or opinions.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Cut the speed back to 3 or 4 on the Flex. I haven't used Uber yet but use FG400 on the orange hybrid with the slower speed and get better results.

We all know for compounds we run them faster and the polishes slower when working. When I run these two I'm at speed 3 for FG400 and speed 5 for SF4000 on the 3401.

I also don't prime the pad with product. Just a quick spritz with pad conditioner and then add working product and go from there.

Love's Auto
11-20-2013, 12:55 AM
You're working too big of an area at a time and over working the product. uber compound is one of the easier products to use so sorry to say its human error.

bugguy67
11-20-2013, 09:45 AM
My work area was a quarter of the hood so I'd say just about a two foot area and again I tried different methods of not working until it flashed and various methods and it was still a bear to wipe off. What I found weird was fg400 had no issues what so ever and people are saying the two compounds are similar...again it seems like I got a bad batch or something about the paint on this particular truck was reacting with the compound I dunno!...I am trying "uber" on a Ford fusion this afternoon, hopefully I will have a different experience. ...

jpegs13
11-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Uber compound is my new go to. It's easy to use and finishes well. You're technique may be off a tad

Jpatchley
11-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Let us know how it goes!

cleanmycorolla
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Uber compound is pretty awesome. Shrink your work area go 12x12.