PDA

View Full Version : Sticking to your plan

lawrenceSA
11-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Not sure if this is the correct section or not, but just wanted to share a small experience I had last night.

I received a pm from a fellow member of a car club forum that I am on over here in South Africa, stating that he would be in my part of the country over the Christmas period, and asked if I could detail his car.

To put things into context, he stays around 375miles away from me.

I had originally planned on taking most of December off to rest and spend time with my family and so I told the customer that the only way in which I was prepared to help him out, is if he could give me the car for an extra 2 days (they normally leave it from a Fri night to Sun afternoon) as I was not prepared to give up a whole weekend with the family, or get stuck in to a full on 'balls to the wall' detail like I usually do (around 25 manhours over the weekend).

He completely understood but said he could not be without his car for that long as he would be down here on vacation. So I asked him how long he would be prepared to leave the car with me and he said only the day.

I then went back to him explaining that even if it were not December, I would never be able to turn his car around in a day anyway, as my 'business model' has always been quality over quantity and that I am not trying to do quick wash/wax type details - I am targeting the car enthusiast who need a full correction and I then teach them how to maintain it thereafter. Now whilst I appreciate this is not always the best way to make money, I am not in this just for the money. I have been trying to carve out a niche for myself and to become known for doing quality work, or none at all....its just the way I want it to be....

So anyway, I though that would be the end of it, but he replied stating that he has been going from detailer to detailer asking for a 1-day type detail, and all have been willing to accommodate him - he hasn't however used any of them, because he has been waiting for someone to tell him they won't do it just to make a quick buck in a rush, but will do it properly, taking longer. He owns a few BMW's all of which have been on the receiving end of some expensive modifications, and is obviously someone who truly cares for his cars and doesn't just want anyone to have a hack at it.

There an then he booked a detail with me and will make a the 375 mile journey JUST to get his car detailed by me.

It felt really good to know that he appreciated my approach to detailing and whilst I understand I may loose out on potential customers with this approach, they are not the kind of customers who are going to want to pay for a full correction anyway.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else who does this not purely for income (but rather for the passion of it) is in the same boat as me and wondering if they are mad in sticking to their plan....

VP Mark
11-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Good for you for sticking to your business plan. If I ran a business model like yours I would have probably done the same thing. The quality of your work and your dedication is what stood out and caused him to schedule even though it was outside of the timeline he wanted.

I've found when people are excited about your work, they will go out of their way and be inconvenienced when necessary.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks for sharing your story so that others have an outlook on sticking to their plan no matter what is thrown their way. Quality of work always wins over quantity.

I would have done the same.

JSou
11-19-2013, 09:43 AM
This is why you're an inspiration Lawrence. Love the passion you have for this art. I too run a similar model but as you said I'm not there to make a quick buck. As nice as it would be to have some constant cash flowing, I'd also like my work to speak for itself.

Most of the clients/customers I gain are people who will probably only see me once a year. I want to make sure they get the best detail. They are the type to fork heavy up front and pay less later. I like that.

While my friend Tuscarora Dave says there are more $100 bills than $500 bills out there, I still focus on going all out vs doing simple wash and waxes.

Detail on brother! :dblthumb2:

I've found when people are excited about your work, they will go out of their way and be inconvenienced when necessary.

Amen.