PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something different

Chevy68
11-19-2013, 07:58 AM
It's been a while since I have posted, but I am looking for some advice as I still consider myself a real newbie. To recap, I have a fully restored 1968 Camaro with paintwork around a year old now. For the last 9 months or so, I have been using the following products:

- CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
- CG Blacklight
- CG Hybrid V7
- CG 50/50
- Detailers Pro Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate

Process to now has been a wash with CG W&G, Blacklight then 50/50 once every 3 months, then DP Waterless and/or V7 regularly in-between.

I have to say that I have been really happy with the above and I seem to get great results. However, I have nothing to compare them to. I want to continue this detailing journey so I am looking to try some different products to see if I can get better results and/or better user experience. So please recommend me some alternative products and feel free to pick apart my process! I am all ears.....

For information, this is the color of my car. It is base/clear coat and has a fair amount of flake. Car is a weekend cruiser only and is garaged and under a car cover full time. Ultimately, I am looking for a wet-look shine.

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/4953/8h1x.jpg

jankerson
11-19-2013, 08:18 AM
The key to the wet look is the process of compounding and or polishing.

The paint should look wet before any sealant and or wax is put on.

You didn't say if you are doing all of this by hand or have a DA polisher.

If you don't own a DA polisher then I recommend that you get one.

Now as far as products go there are a lot of excellent ones around.

It all depends on what kind of shape the paint is in 1st off.

Then the recommendations would be more solid.

Chevy68
12-01-2013, 05:09 AM
The key to the wet look is the process of compounding and or polishing.

The paint should look wet before any sealant and or wax is put on.

You didn't say if you are doing all of this by hand or have a DA polisher.

If you don't own a DA polisher then I recommend that you get one.

Now as far as products go there are a lot of excellent ones around.

It all depends on what kind of shape the paint is in 1st off.

Then the recommendations would be more solid.

Ok, point taken. I will then change the direction of this thread.

I have just obtained a DA polisher kit (Concours DAP-900) which was supplied with 4 Pads (Red, Orange, Green & Blue) and the following Mezerna products:
- PF 1000
- PF 2500
- SF 4000
- SW Protect

I have never used a DA polisher before so I will practice on on old hood I have here then progress to my daily before tackling the Camaro. I have also been watching all of Mike's vids online, so I am pretty clear on the theory part.

My first question is, given the paint is relatively new and swirls and scratches are light and minimal, can I just get away with using the SF 4000 and skip the PG 1000 & PF 2500? Also, any other tips for a first timer using a DA Polisher? This is a big step for me, especially as I sunk so much money into this paintwork, so I appreciate any feedback!

bsmith0404
12-01-2013, 05:43 AM
First, the pad selection you have probably won't work for what you're looking for. The orange will cut nicely on the old hood, but you typically want to follow that up with a white, the green might work as a polishing pad, but I usually find that it's just not enough. My opinion I wouldn't use the orange on a DD, the swirls come back anyway (especially if people don't know how to do a proper wash) so why take off that much clear? Of course, since it's your car you can use it for practice.

That being said, your paint looks good in the pic. You can try the green pad with your product, start with the least aggressive and work your way up if you're not getting the results you want. The blue and red pads don't have any cut, so it's only the polish working, that is a tough way to get swirls out.

Since you have an old hood and a DD to practice on, play around with them a bit. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. Try the different compounds and polishes with the different pads, you'll figure out pretty quickly what they can do....of course paints are different so you will obtain different results on different cars, but usually close enough to get a general idea. All of this said, I use more white pads than anything, I think you'll see why once you play around a bit.

weekendwarrior
12-01-2013, 06:50 AM
You are moving in right direction, practice on the old hood, not your new paint job. If new paint job is in good shape I wouldn't polish until needed. And when you do, use a Test Spot with the least aggressive pad/polish combo first. If least aggressive looks good, continue with rest of your Camaro. If not, step up aggressiveness slightly until pleased.